News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Setting - are there other asteroids/planetoids like Atlantis

Started by Pilgrim, September 11, 2003, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilgrim

I can't remember if I asked this one and have lost that part of my notes.
Are there other cities/planetoids/asteroids/minor bodies in the 9 Worlds setting?
The reason I ask, is I think allowing them in the setting can offer a lot to GMs and players. 3rd parties, or minor players, in the grand conflict (or is it a Cold War?) of the Titanomachy that adventures can take place in for one reason or another.
And on a related note, what role do comets play in the cosmology of the setting?
--
Bowden "Trey" Palmer | trey DOT palmer AT Golf Mike Alpha India Lima DOT Charlie Oscar Mike
Exos integro, sugiliato curatio, y femellas amo cicatrix.

Matt Snyder

Yes, these would certainly be found about the aether, though not on the scale like that of Atlantis. Call them "islands" on the sea of the aether. They might earn neo-mythic names, too. Like "Crete Minor" or something similar.

As for comets, I hadn't actually thought of them! Such celestial bodies could indeed be part of the setting. I'd make them an aether event of portence and strangeness. They might even have weird influence on mechanics. So, rather than have Power themselves, they instead affect the rules in unpredictable ways when characters partake in conflicts near the comet. So, maybe they'd declare a secret, randome trump. Just brainstorming. Have some fun with it!

This raises a good point. The setting will be explained to player and GMs in the book. But it remains only and ever a launch point from which players and GMs leap into story. There is no metaplot -- you as players create plot in play. I present the universe "as is," and then strongly advise GMs to go nuts. The book will present the Eternals as in charge of the individual worlds, for example. But from there, who knows what happens. Maybe the Titans take over. Maybe the Players Characters do. It's your world, have a blast. If you want comets and rock islands, by all means do it!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Pilgrim

Quote from: Matt SnyderYes, these would certainly be found about the aether, though not on the scale like that of Atlantis. Call them "islands" on the sea of the aether. They might earn neo-mythic names, too. Like "Crete Minor" or something similar.

Cool! I can definitely work with that. Time to go dig a copy of Bullfinch's Mythology as well as Edith Hamilton's out of the library.

Quote from: Matt SnyderAs for comets, I hadn't actually thought of them! Such celestial bodies could indeed be part of the setting. I'd make them an aether event of portence and strangeness. They might even have weird influence on mechanics. So, rather than have Power themselves, they instead affect the rules in unpredictable ways when characters partake in conflicts near the comet. So, maybe they'd declare a secret, randome trump. Just brainstorming. Have some fun with it!

Oh, I will. Just trying to figure out what sort of fun to have with it.

Quote from: Matt SnyderThis raises a good point. The setting will be explained to player and GMs in the book. But it remains only and ever a launch point from which players and GMs leap into story. There is no metaplot -- you as players create plot in play. I present the universe "as is," and then strongly advise GMs to go nuts. The book will present the Eternals as in charge of the individual worlds, for example. But from there, who knows what happens. Maybe the Titans take over. Maybe the Players Characters do. It's your world, have a blast. If you want comets and rock islands, by all means do it!

That's all I ask - a setting, some workable rules and the potential to play with it. And as a GM, I've routinely gone nuts on settings.

Thanks again Matt. Looking forward to seeing further ideas and developments.
--
Bowden "Trey" Palmer | trey DOT palmer AT Golf Mike Alpha India Lima DOT Charlie Oscar Mike

Draqo

It strikes me that asteroids already have "semi-mythic" names, like Ceres, Pallas, Eros, Nyx, and Europa. Might be interesting to have these realms expanded.

Li

Lxndr

I'm more interested in comets.  Astrologically speaking, asteroids were pretty much considered non-entities until the telescope, but comets were considered to be huge, horrible, ground-breaking, earth-shattering things.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Pilgrim

Quote from: LxndrI'm more interested in comets.  Astrologically speaking, asteroids were pretty much considered non-entities until the telescope, but comets were considered to be huge, horrible, ground-breaking, earth-shattering things.

Yeah, which is why was asking about them in particular. Perhaps have some the elder gods (Nyx, Erebus and their ilk) residing on them? Anyway, I'm just tossing out ideas and asking questions for now.
--

Mike Holmes

Hmm. So the asteroid belt is a titanic archipeligo between Mars and Jupiter? That'd be neat.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Pilgrim

Mike,
Take a look at http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=7904&sid=322761ce8f59f90b1c218ced4fff2dcb for the official order of the planets. Though as Matt has said, you can do with it as you want as GM.
Thanks,
--

Pilgrim

I just polled a resource on ancient languages, and got 2 possible names for bodies smaller than planets
Greek: ouranonesoi
Latin: Insulae Aeris

You may want to include these terms, because many of the interesting bits of the Odyssey and Aneid took place on islands, and I'd think the 9 Worlds need little bits like that.
--

Kester Pelagius

Howdy,

My banal suggestion:

Quote from: PilgrimGreek: ouranonesoi

ourano-nisos (singular)

ourano-nesoi (plural)

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Mike Holmes

Oops, that's right. Between Mars and Saturn, then? Or maybe they can be to the "left" or "right" of the other planets. Giving a sort of wilderlands that people can go off into to bypass the other planets. Just a thought.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.