News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Supplement Idea

Started by Matt Gwinn, October 24, 2001, 02:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Gwinn

I've been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the last two episodes gave me an idea for a game.  moose thought it would be better suited to Sorcerer so I'll post it here.

Imagine that the players are all super smart highschool nerds with high tech and magic knowledge.  They join together in their parent's basement and plan to take over the world for the hell of it.  Only problem is that they are super NERDs, big time geeks with zero social skills.  I think it would be fun.

Based on last nights episode of Buffy I think these 3 guys will be the main villains this season.  Check it out - Tuesdays at 8pm on UPN.

,Matt
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

furashgf

If you have the episode you're talking about on tape, pause it and see the list of items they have on their world domination list whiteboard.

On a similar topic, when I first grabbed Sorcerer I was thinking about a Vampiric/Monster suppliment.  The 1st Vampire ed. had the idea of Humanity, but didn't work it quite right - it wasn't what you gave up to get what you wanted.  Urge kind of hits on this one a bit, but doesn't make for multi-player games.  Also, I'm not sure how much you loose in the supliments when you take out the deamon interaction.
Gary Furash, furashgf@alumni.bowdoin.edu
"Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans"

Mike Holmes

On 2001-10-24 14:54, furashgf wrote:
If you have the episode you're talking about on tape, pause it and see the list of items they have on their world domination list whiteboard.

Better yet, did you notice that at one point they were all seated around a table with Polyhedra and minis strewn across what looked to be some sort of dungeon map.

Great, more gamers as geeks imagery.

I had to laugh, though.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

hardcoremoose

I like the idea of Sorcerors as high school students.  I actually wrote up an InSpectres variant that treated the occult as the ultimate thing your parents told you never to get involved with (so of course, you had to go mess with it).  Still might work on that, too...

Anyway, the Sorcerors shouldn't just[i/] be nerds - they should come from all of the various cliques.  I've thrown around the humorous title "The Breakfast Coven" with you a bit, but I'm only half joking.

I don't know how you would define Demons and Humanity, but the basic idea of Sorceror works great with this concept.  In Sorceror, it's all about getting what you want at any cost.  Playing it as teenagers, with real teenage needs and wants (get the girl, make the varsity football team, revenge on the bully, etc.) seems interesting (not to mention topical).  

Ben Morgan

The obscurity of some of the things on their list was what made it really fantastic: "The Gorilla Thing".

IMO, these guys are the best supporting characters since Lorne the Karaoke Demon on Angel. Of course, one of the main things that makes them so great is the fact that they hit so close to home. After all, if you can't laugh at yourself, ya got no right laughing at anyone else.

I'm wondering how the whole trivia/nitpicking/debating thing can be worked into the game. Maybe something similar to the Quirky Dialog mechanic proposed on the Game Design Forum? Or should we just let this type of thing just develop in-game as geek nature dictates?

-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light