News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Squeam CoC

Started by Balbinus, October 31, 2001, 11:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balbinus

Hi,

A quick question for Jared.  In Squeam CoC Courtesy is used in fights, howcome?  If an uncouth docker attacks someone I should have thought he would have a good chance of beating them up but a low courtesy.  What was the rationale behind this?

Oh, I like the rules generally BTW.  CoC reduced to its essence, arguably truer to the source material than CoC itself.
AKA max

Jared A. Sorensen

On 2001-10-31 11:54, Balbinus wrote:
A quick question for Jared.  In Squeam CoC Courtesy is used in fights, howcome?  If an uncouth docker attacks someone I should have thought he would have a good chance of beating them up but a low courtesy.  What was the rationale behind this?

Oh, I like the rules generally BTW.  CoC reduced to its essence, arguably truer to the source material than CoC itself.

Well, I wrote the darn thing in about 10 minutes. The way it should work is that my character (Courtesy 7) needs to roll over his Courtesy in order to rough someone up in the manner of a common thug. It's less a pass/fail mechanic and more of a roleplaying mechanic.

Obviously, characters with low Courtesy are more apt to solve problems with their fists.

Does that answer your question?

jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Balbinus

It does, somehow I'd turned it around and thought of it as a roll under situation.

Incidentally, I guessed it hadn't taken you very long but that doesn't mean it isn't well done.  As I said, its truer to the original tales in many ways than CoC is.  Great for a Cthulhuesque one-nighter.

AKA max