News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Play by post/email?

Started by Christopher Weeks, October 22, 2003, 09:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

I think there may be odd browser/cookie interactions going on. That's my best guess.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

ScottM

It was strange.  Clearing the cache, cookies, and autocomplete at work didn't do the trick-- I was never able to log on from there.  But when I got home, I logged on easily.

I've logged out at home, so it'll be interesting to see if I can hop on from work at lunch, or if it keeps giving me grief.
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

Trevis Martin

I've got a freind who is a partner on a site that hosts a TWiki, which has been very dependable.  I've been running a play by post there for some months.  http://www.nullnode.com/twiki/bin/view.pl   Its also a faily easy version to use and edit.  I could ask him if we could do it on that site.

regards,

Trevis

Christopher Weeks

Ah, good.  Maybe it is some kind of clumsy cookie duel.  Here at work it seems to be working fine.  I'll log out tonight and try again from home to see if it was my fault (sort of) all along.  It would be better if we don't have to fall back on some other resource.

Chris

Bob McNamee

Today (wednesday) I'm getting

Page cannot be displayed
Can't find server

I always go to the site from home.

Oh well, perhaps I'll try a full reboot to see if that helps.

Since we haven't started yet...now would be the time to move, if we need to do that.
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

ScottM

Still unable to access the page from work.  At work I use IE6, while at home I use Netscape.  I doubt that's the problem, since I first read and editted the site at lunch from work, but who knows?

Shrug.  I guess as long as I can access it at home, I'll call it good.  I agree with Bob that if we're going to move, it should be before the game starts.

Scott
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

Christopher Weeks

As of right now, Friday morning (east coast, US), http://www.swiki.net/~clweeks/The%20Universalis%20Arena/1 is being very good.  I'd like to see if it's just me or everyone.  I'm still unsure about the cause of our difficulty and their support email has never answered any of my three notes.

Play is slated to begin this Sunday and I think we should continue with this notion as long as technical problems do not overwhelm us.  Is there anyone at this point who is simply unable to access the site?

Chris

Bob McNamee

I'm able to reach it today..friday
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Mike Holmes

I've had the ability to get there almost constantly. But I have to reset my password to get in each time. Which is a hassle.

Mike

Christopher Weeks

Quote from: Mike HolmesI've had the ability to get there almost constantly. But I have to reset my password to get in each time. Which is a hassle.

Are you accessing from only one machine?  You mean you have to change your PW, or just type it in again rather than relying on their cookie tool?

Chris

Mike Holmes

I'm using more than one machine, but I don't use the autofil method because I don't want people at work to have access to my passwords. So I type it in each time. Then it tells me that it can't let me in. So I then use the "forgot your password" link, get a link to change my password mailed to me, change my password, and then log in.

To be truthful, it's only happened twice, and I've given up since. Really haven't had anything important to post. See, I can read it, I just can't edit it without the rigamarole.

Mike

Christopher Weeks

Do you have the cookie set at home, but not at work?  Or are you only doing it at work?  (And anyone else who's been having problems is more than welcome to fill in the same blanks so we can get a bigger picture.)

I'm suspicious about my own problems, so I'm looking for similarities.  I think that maybe swiki.net thought that I was logged in from work and thus wouldn't let me in from home.  And maybe the reverse of that situation earlier.  So I'm trying to figure out exactly what to do to make it work and what to write up so that other, new players don't get bit like many of us.

Chris

ScottM

Suddenly, today, it's back to working fine for me from work.  I didn't do anything new, so I'm going to assume it's swiki's end.

Christopher Weeks

It appears to be problematic once again.  Grrr.

Chris

Mike Holmes

Yep.

Have you talked to the site administrators?

Mike