News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Centerfolds

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, May 08, 2001, 08:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

Something that I'd really like to see (on this site or on individuals' sites) is a kind of "gamer profile" that would shed light on a person's style, turn-ons and turn-offs (hence the slightly humorous subject of this post).  This is inspired by Peter Seckler's profile over at his site, The Mole.

So, what kinds of fields would such a beast have?  What questions would you ask someone when talking about their likes/dislikes and preferred styles?  Obviously, favorite/least favorite games would be on there...

Any ideas?

[ This Message was edited by: Jared A. Sorensen on 2001-05-08 20:28 ]
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Paul Czege

At one point I had mocked up little icons I thought people could use in their signatures on G.O. They looked kind of like this:

gNs

Gns

gnS

My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Ron Edwards

Paul's suggestion traps me between laughing appreciatively and shuddering in horror at the potential miscommunications.

More seriously, it seems as if the Profile box might contain such a thing. I'm not sure that "Interests" has ever been used seriously in user profiles - there's something yearbooky about it; it strikes me as the kind of thing that a corporation requires its employees to fill in to create the illusion of a happy community. Maybe it could be renamed?

Or maybe the whole idea is flawed .... much as I like the idea of learning more about one another's role-playing preferences, I also like the idea of developing that understanding through open, ongoing dialogue. I have two reasons for that:
1) it permits a person to change and develop their point of view; typing in a profile at the outset has a tendency of concretizing one's self-definition.
2) it's much harder to dissemble one's point of view in multi-directional dialogues than in a collected paragraph.

Well, this post turned out to say exactly the opposite of what I planned when I began it.

Best
Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

Well, maybe not fuzzy self-categorizatin...but I think that even a list of favorite RPGs would be great -- if only to see what people like and/or are currently playing.

Clinton R. Nixon

Asking "what are your favorite RPGs" always ends up seeming like empty information to me. If I were to institute something like this, I'd want to ask:

* Last three games you played?
* Favorite three games you've actually played?
* Three games you've always wanted to play but haven't?

Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jared A. Sorensen

Clinton,

That sounds great -- can we add this to our user profile thingies?

Ron Edwards

Let's see how it looks:

Hero Wars, Soap, Orkworld

Sorcerer, The Whispering Vault, Ghost Light

Over the Edge, Prince Valiant, Theatrix

Hmm! Not a bad profile, I think. 'Course, that "last three games" would cycle pretty frequently, but that's OK.

Best,
Ron

Blake Hutchins

Gad. I'm in a drought here.

Last three games played:
Mage, DnD, Amber

Favorite three games I've actually played:
Everway, Castle Falkenstein, Wraith

Three I'd like to play but haven't (this list needs to be six, not three):
Story Engine, Sorcerer, Hero Wars

Not too bad. My local crowd is mostly WW, DnD, or GURPS players. I'm the black sheep and getting farther from the flock every day.

[ This Message was edited by: Blake Hutchins on 2001-05-09 19:38 ]

Paul Czege

Paul's suggestion traps me between laughing appreciatively and shuddering in horror...

Well...when I realized the idea was mostly motivated by how apoplectic Nick was getting about heavy G/N/S discussions, I scrapped it. I daydream a lot about plunging a pitchfork into people's tender spots and then shrieking maniacally, but I don't often act on it.

And I actually think that self-reporting of G/N/S bias isn't all that useful.

However, I think Clinton's three profile items are perfect, although I'd reword them slightly. For me they'd be:

* Last three RPG's you've played/GM'd?
Theatrix, Everway, and if you count a combat system test, D&D3e, otherwise Vampire

* Favorite three RPG's you've actually played/GM'd?
Theatrix, Everway, and geez, 1st ed. AD&D

* Three RPG's you've always wanted to play/GM but haven't?
Prince Valiant, Extreme Vengeance, Sorcerer

Paul

My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

George Pletz

Well here's my answers. The only caveat I would add is that with the favorite three field, it is games that I would play again without reservation, not that they were "perfect"
gaming experiences.

last three RPGs played - Deadlands, UA, D&D 3rd ed.

favorite three RPGs played - Feng Shui, OTE, UA

three rpgs you would like to play but haven't had the chance (yet) -  Octane, Sorcerer, Story Engine ( I could go on for a very long time on this one.)

George

Clinton R. Nixon

I'm going to code this up for the profiles--this weekend, hopefully--but until then, my answers would be:

Last three games played/GM'ed:
Fudge, Sorcerer, 7th Sea

Favorite three games played/GM'ed:
Sorcerer, Story Engine, D&D3E

Three games I've read and wished I could play:
Dying Earth, Feng Shui, Schism
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jared A. Sorensen

Last games played
Unknown Armies, Pantheon, Underworld

Favorite games played/ran
Unknown Armies, D&D 3rd edition, Efls

Read and wanna play dese games
The Dying Earth, The Whispering Vault, Sorcerer

Zak Arntson

Hmm, couple homebrews with a 7 & 10 year old.
 Pokemon Adventure game (with same kids).
 Homebrew with buncha friends.

Paranoia, AD&D (Planescape), Call of Cthulhu

Kult (I know NOTHING about this game, but I've always wanted to try it out), Feng Shui (Big Trouble in Little China the RPG!!), D&D3E (curious & nostalgia)

* Nostalgia Games
 Palladium system (some of my first intros to RPing were a TERRIBLE mish-mash of Rifts and Robotech)
 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I know it's Palladium, but it is so cool it deserves its own mention.  I recently bought a bunch of old TMNT stuff for way cheap, all I need now is Mutants in the Yucatan)
 Basic D&D (Played this LOTS.  And raise your hand if you played the solo adventure with the rust monster!)

Mytholder

Ah, why not.

Last three games played
Call of Cthulhu, Vampire (larp), Nobilis

Favourite three
The usual answers - Unknown Armies, Blue Planet, and Nobilis.

Three I most wanna play, but haven't
Er. Dunno. I want to *read* Dying Earth and Godlike but I don't know if I want to play them. I'd like to play Inspectres quite a bit, actually.

hardcoremoose

Okay,

Last Three Played:
Inspectres(NightWatch), D&D3E, Vampire

Three (Current) Faves I've Actually Played:
Inspectres, Coc, Whispering Vault

The Three I'd Most Like To Play:
Elfs, Castle Falkenstein, Unknown Armies