News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A setting for use with TROS.

Started by Tywin Lannister, November 18, 2003, 03:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tywin Lannister

Hello all.

I have created a PDF based on a part of my own campaign setting, which incidentally is played using the The Riddle of Steel rules system. The document is 130 pages, divided into seven books, including Geography, Characters, Names, and Maps.
It has little art, just some sketches I've made myself, and a few scans from other books (which I am going to remove for legal reasons).

The size of the file is 2.36 MB.

I wondered if anyone would be interested in such a file, and if anyone in this case could host it as I have no website.
The trees bend their boughs towards the earth and nighttime birds float as black faces.

Stephen

Could you tell us a little about it?  Give us the thumbnail sketch, as 'twere?
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

Mike Holmes

I think we'd love to see it. If nothing else, start a Yahoo Group or get a geocities site for it. If you need help setting something like that up, just mail me.

OTOH, does anyone have some quality space to host this?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Claymore

I'd love to check it out as well :-)

-Claymore
George
Driftwood Publishing
claymore@theriddleofsteel.net
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

MonkeyWrench

I'll chime in as well and say that I would like to check it out.
-Jim

Jake Norwood

If I like it then I can host it on my site, I believe. But I'll have to give it a good look, first.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Thagorod Alynsson

I have taken en brief look at the file Tywin has made. This is really great work! (I might be a bit biased here since this is the setting I'm currently playing:-). The world of Erida is a well founded and well described setting for TROS.
No offence to the world of Weyrth, but Erida is a real flexible setting for almost every type of gameplay you want. The way we use it with low fantasy, low magic and focus on character progression through use of SA and inter/intra-character conflicts works great for us. But I see no reason why this should not apply to the "Horseslying-Duppelthander-Backstabbing-Three headed troll"-Campain also (If that for some reason should be your choice). Just place your group somewhere in the setting, and see what the Lords and Ladys of Erida can make up of interesting challenges.

Pass me another barrel of Wherry-wine!
Songs yet to be sung

Tywin Lannister

*blush*
Thanks, Thag :) Yes, I guess you're biased.

I am going to work some more on the file, some of it is written pretty badly (English is not my native language, some maps are mismatched, some of it is too specific, or not specific enough etc.)

When a new, better version is finished, I will send it to Jake / Driftwood for their perusal.

:)
The trees bend their boughs towards the earth and nighttime birds float as black faces.

Mike Holmes

Perhaps some native English speakers here have the time to help with the editing? Anyone want to volunteer? Sounds like a cool project. I'd do it, but I'm doing too many projects right now as it is.

The best thing is if you can get like three people each to do a short edit, one after the other. Each person cleans up a bit, and then the next person has to look closer, and the next closer. After three people you'll have very few errors. If we got two other people online, I'd do the second or third edit.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ingenious

Coming up on December the 1st is when I will be on the receiving end of 7 months of vacation. So if anyone has a project(TROS related) they need help on around that date or later, I'll throw my name into that hat.

-Cory

Sneaky Git

Quote from: Mike HolmesThe best thing is if you can get like three people each to do a short edit, one after the other. Each person cleans up a bit, and then the next person has to look closer, and the next closer. After three people you'll have very few errors. If we got two other people online, I'd do the second or third edit.

Mike

I can do some editing.  Let me know if you are interested in the help Tywin.

Chris
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

- Leonidas of Sparta, in response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: IngeniousComing up on December the 1st is when I will be on the receiving end of 7 months of vacation.

Seven MONTHS? Jeez, I want to work at your company :-)

Not that I can talk, I've just started semi-permanent "vacation" time, having been made redundant from my job. My vacation lasts until I find something new :-) Alas, I wont throw my hat into the ring as I'm working on TFOB stuff, but I *am* interested to read through the document when it's done.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Tywin Lannister

Hi again, thanks for the support :)
This was, is, and will probably remain a very enjoyable community.

I'll throw in a quick description of the setting:

It's a continent-sized area of islands, a huge archipelago if you will, inspired by & based on Medieval England, Cornwall, Wales, Ireland, Scotland etc., with some fantasy elements thrown in (not much though). It is perfectly plausible to place this region west of Picti/Angharad in Weyrth.
The file describes the major islands of the region (about 40 or so), has statistics for some of the area's major NPCs, and I hope the text is riddled (;-)) with ideas/adventure seeds ready to be used by other Seneschals
(because partially, the text is based on events of our own campaign).

Now that I have seen that people are interested, I will edit the file some more, and add some additional stuff I've made since then, including weather rules and expanding the descriptions of some of the areas.

:)

EDIT:
Ooh I forgot. Originally, I began working on an adventure scenario which I planned to give to Driftwood, but then I realized that it is REALLY much better to rather present some interesting locations, and let the individual play groups find adventure from there. TROS doesn't really work for "lead-by-the-nose modules", what with SAs and all.

Tywin Lannister

Just a little update for those of you who have requested a copy, and now suspect me for not following up.

I am currently editing the material, and quickly realized there was a lot to edit :p Entire sections that deal with stuff you probably wouldn't understand if you're not part of my gaming group, the wrong maps on the wrong pages, spelling and grammar.. I'm trying to make it look a little good.
Also, I am taking away a large number of scanned images (from other sources) and replace them with my own sketches for copyright reasons.

- Tywin

Lxndr

If this setting is as good as you say it is (and I don't doubt you), why not ask Jake if you can turn it into an official mini-supplement, and sell it as a pdf?  Unless my memory fails me, Jake has supported the idea of third-party mini-supplements for the tRoS line.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming