News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

the big three you never see

Started by Paul Czege, November 26, 2001, 12:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Sorry Mike,

I think the problem is that we're grossly off-topic anyway, and so a lot of foundational standards aren't set for the magic issue, and SO we're all just hitting one another from different angles and perspectives, with no structure for the discussion.

Rather than continue with the answers to your questions and thus drag it all FURTHER off-topic, and probably not be productive ANYWAY, I'll just say, "Hmm, a thread about magic stuff would be cool," and leave it at that.

Again, sorry about that lame answer, but I really think that's the best thing to do.

Best,
Ron

Ian O'Rourke

I constantly hit this problem (ie, games about normal people, or about 'mundane' stuff). Take the current 3e game I'm in as an example. It's very good, and I really do like the epic arc that we are on - it's very exciting. But when it comes down to it, I'm not excited about it because of the BIG VISUALS or COOL FIGHTS but because my character is having to make choices along the way about the woman he loves. They are currently on divergent tracks and seem to be getting further apart (still hanging on that redemption will be possible).

Anyway, would all that be interesting if all the typical role-playing stuff did not surround it? I think so, I absorbed by the issue of decisions, consequences and playing those out in a narrativist way.

In a few weeks the campaign will end, the two characters will meet (again, they have a Batman/Catwoman thing going on at the minute - love, but rapidly divergent tracks). I don't care about the epic conclusion to save the world - I just want to see how this drama plays out. I want to try and divert her from her course, I want to secure her future even if it means death for my character.

In short, I'm interested in the romance, the 'mundane'.

I could live with a game that was almost 100% about that.

I could also quite happily run a game about 100% normal people. No funky powers, relatively normal jobs. They just have a kicker into a relatively normal situation and they go for it - revenge on a past transgressor, an attempt to rekindle love with a childhood sweatheart - whatever. Not saying it would be easy, as the characters they interact with will not exist in isolation (what part does the childhood sweatheart play in the relationship map), but they would be normal concerns.

That could work.
Ian O'Rourke
www.fandomlife.net
The e-zine of SciFi media and Fandom Culture.

Mike Holmes

On 2001-12-07 09:17, Ian O'Rourke wrote:
That could work.

Sure it could. Nobody has said otherwise that I'm aware of. Somebody write this RPG to appease these many calls for it.

For me, however, I have this geeky desire to have fangs, a flaming body, spells, or a big blaster at my hip. And I'm not the only one. Are these things necessary? No, not at all. They're just a lot of fun to some people.

And to bring my previous arguments back on topic (never really thought we had strayed), for folks like me, mundane is not as good as fantastic. Such mundane games will certainly have a market, but it will not be the majority of the current gamer market.

Which, as Jared has said, is a great reason for their introduction. We might get new folks into RPGs. Once you guys hook 'em with Mundania the RPG, I can try and siphon them off to Fantasia. And then we'll all be happy.

:smile:

Mike

Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jared A. Sorensen

Mundane RPG, go!

Needs: Setting. That's the game, more or less. A setting (ala a soap opera) with lots of built-in intrigue and interest.

Me? i'd go with a sub-bizarro setting like that GREAT show Key West (imagine a good-natured, good-hearted version of Twin Peaks).

System: Unknown quanity. Heavy on personal description/descriptors. No combat system. That's stupid.

Also...

I have a burning desire to dress up in a superhero costume and go to Denny's with 4-5 like-minded people. Cannot explain. Too much "The Tick," perhaps?
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com