News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Improvisational TROS variant

Started by Pyske, January 21, 2004, 11:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyske

I've been considering running another TROS game for a while now, and tonight on the spur of the moment I volunteered to run a game.  We'll be playing this Friday, with not a lot of prep, and a rather fast and loose version of the rules, so wish me luck.

At this point, the plan is to dive into the game with minimal information and minimal character creation, and define things as we go.  I was originally planning not to tell the players anything before we sat down to play, but I caved under pressure tonight when I was selling the game, and gave them the first step I had planned for character creation.  

Specifically, I explained the three types of magic I plan to use (see below), and the Spiritual Attributes.  As far as the rest of the skills, attributes, etc., I plan to let the PCs decide how many dice to roll when the need comes up, and worry about priorities and balance and finishing up the character creation later in the session (at some good breaking point, possibly a cliffhanger, but not when the tension is TOO high).

The magic, as a quick aside, consists of Diabolism (bargaining with nigh-omnipotent, antagonistic demons),  Sorcery (TROS magic, vagaries chosen on the fly, everyone has Torturous Magic, and margin of failure also "buys down" attributes), and Sight (prophecy magic, works by series of subtle coincidences, price is "trouble magnet"). Only sorcery has mechanics, the other two will be entirely GM fiat + player prompting & negotiation.

At this point, I don't know what the PCs will care about; I'll find out at the game.  I do know where the PCs will start (I'm going to enjoy being a little cliche by having each of the PCs start out literally "naked and on fire"), and I know what force will deliver the threat to their stake (whatever that proves to be).

We'll roll with the punches, develop the characters in play, and see what comes of it.  I'm not committed to a campaign at this point, 'though it could develop that way if we like it.  It should be an interesting experiment.

. . . . . . . -- Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Real Name: Eric H)