News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Rooby-Dooby-Doo!

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, December 05, 2001, 01:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

joshua neff

Jared--

Hilarious! A few comments, nitpicks, whatever:

* You don't have a job & you still can't be bothered to come up with a name for the GM? That makes Shaggy look like a hard-worker!

* Don't you say nothin' bad 'bout Scooby-Dum. That dog had class (er, sort of).

* Daphne's nickname was "Danger-Prone Daphne". For what it's worth.

* Having watched a lot of Scooby-Doo in my time, I noticed something weird: as the show goes on, Scooby becomes better & better at speaking English. He also walks bipedal more & becomes worse at relating to other dogs. It's like he's evolving (is that using the word wrong? I should check with Ron.) or at least trying to become more human. Like I said, weird.

* Overall, the mechanics, just like in regular Squeam, are great.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Zak Arntson

Hoo-boy.  Just last night I posted my criticism of Dragonball Z (http://www.livejournal.com/talkpost.bml?itemid=16700047">Here) in the form of an equally crappy RPG.

Does this mean that our roleplaying games, as form of meta-criticism, are approaching art?

Anyhow, good treatment of the show I watched religiously as a kid. I can't watch more than 2 seconds now. Blech.

Jared A. Sorensen

Daphne's fixed. As for the GM-name, well why don't YOU figure it out Mr. "I have a crush on Velma." :wink:

joshua neff

Oops! Maybe I should just shut my mouth.

Okay...lessee...

"Zoinks Master"?
"Director"?
"Animator"?
"Snack Master"?
"Mystery Machine"?
"Hollyhock God"?

And I never had a crush on Velma. As embarrassing as this may be, I have to admit, Daphne was my first crush, ever. I've had a thing for redheads ever since. (Hence my Molly Ringwald crush in high school.)

[ This Message was edited by: joshua neff on 2001-12-05 15:49 ]
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Jared A. Sorensen

I henceforth call the GM of Scooby Squeam, "The Snack Master."

mahoux

Something new and goofy from Mr. Sorenson!  Okay, I laughed so hard (at work) that I almost peed my pants.

Now I want to try this.  I would have been able to continue my usual game, if it weren't for you meddling kids.
Taking the & out of AD&D

http://home.earthlink.net/~knahoux/KOTR_2.html">Knights of the Road, Knights of the Rail has hit the rails!

Bret

That's awesome, Jared. I love it.

Peace,
Bret

Joe Murphy (Broin)

It's terrible. It's awful. I absolutely adore it. =)

You talented git.

Best,

Joe.

Ben Morgan

Agreed. Absolutely horrible, but in a good way.

Funny thing.

I was stuck at the laundromat the other week, wating for my clothes to finish the spin cycle, and the TV was set to the Cartoon Channel. Of course, it was set high up in the corner near the ceiling, so you couldn't reach it, and a remote was nowhere in sight, so I got stuck watching Scooby Doo in Cyberspace (and it's weird, because now whenever I hear Casey Kasem's voice, I can't seem to get past that audio clip of him cursing everyone out).

I suddenly realized how amazingly formulaic the original show was, and how that might be translated into a mildly amusing, but probably not very entertaining in the long run, Card Game.

There'd be cards for certain inevitable events, like Velma losing her glasses, the gang splitting up, the big chase scene, the pulling off of the masks at the end, etc.

Then I realized it was a pretty stupid idea.

But this was funny.

-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light