News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Edwards' 11

Started by hardcoremoose, December 10, 2001, 03:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardcoremoose

This idea popped into my head on the way home today.*

Okay, so Danny Ocean is a sorcerer.  He has to be...he's got the swagger down.

His crew are his demons.

Humanity = social responsibility (i.e., high humanity means an upright, honest law abiding citizen.  Low humanity is the opposite).

* actually, it's a variation on an idea I had several months ago, goosed abit by the new flick.  Sorcerers as the greatest criminal minds in the universe, demons as prisoners of a metaphysical penitentiary that you have to help "bust out"...sounds cool to me.

Just a thought.

- Scott

Ron Edwards

??

Scott, you're just going to have to put in some more info. What in the world are you talking about?

Is this some reference to a show or book or movie or something?

Help out the media-impaired.

Best,
Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

Ron, he's talking about Ocean's Eleven, the new Steven Soderbergh flick.

Moose, you're crazy. :smile:

Actually, Tess is the Sorcerer. She re-summoned her previously banished demon (Danny) to get Terry through the only thing he really cares about.

Or something.

No, I was right in the beginning. Moose is crazy.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

hardcoremoose

Sorry 'bout that Ron.  

For those of you who don't sleep with a Variety magazine under your pillows, I was referencing the remake of Ocean's 11.  Ya' know, that little film with some dudes named Clooney, Pitt, and Damon (never mind director Steven Soderbergh).

I've always kind of dug the heist flick genre, and for some reason I connect it with Sorcerer.  I think it's the swagger...these master criminal types are always cooler than cool, never breaking a sweat, always in command of their element (even when they really aren't).  And the new Ocean's 11 really plays that up.

Now throw in the fact that a big chunk of the film's first act is about the recruiting of a crew to pull off this major heist, that these guys are (for all intents and purposes) pulled out of thin air, and almost literally disappear back into it once the job is done, and man, I just couldn't help but think of Sorcerer.

So yeah, that's what I was thinking about.

- Scott

[ This Message was edited by: hardcoremoose on 2001-12-10 16:01 ]

hardcoremoose

J-

You may be right...Tess probably is the Sorcerer.

Although Pitt radiates "sorcerer" more than anyone else in the film.  He rules every scene he's in, regardless of who he's sharing it with.

Crazy?  Yeah, probably.  I still think it would be fun.  :smile:

- Scott

Ron Edwards

I get it.

No, wait, Scott is making sense. The master thief thing, you know? The main guy is always trying to corral and deal with the internal tensions of the heist-team members. The whole movie is about whether the heist gets accomplished (tense, but come on, we know they'll do it despite the inevitable Thing That Goes Wrong With The Plan) but also about whether the individual personal clashes and agendas will rip the whole plan apart (which they inevitably do). And the aforementioned main guy is always one shade too authoritarian, or arrogant, or burned-out, or whatever, to spot the trouble before it starts.

Sorcerer and demons? Sure!

Scott, I get it.

Best,
Ron

hardcoremoose

Cool...I'm glad someone else does.  It makes pefect sense to me.

Now, here's the interesting thing about the new Ocean's 11:

It doesn't follow the traditional "heist movie" formula.  That's all I'll say, as I wouldn't want to spoil anything for any potential moviegoers.  Go see it though...it's a fun popcorn flick.

Now for a Sorcerer question or two.

If I were to run something like this, what understanding of "demons" would be most compelling?  Would they be...

...real, supernatural entities locked away in some Whispering Vault-like prison, which the sorcerers would have to spring them from to acquire the use of their talents.

...some other supernatural manifestion, perhaps derived from the super-large egos of the criminal masterminds.

...not supernatural at all.  Just real, human lackeys, who happen to (loosely) follow the rules for Demons laid out in Sorcerer.

To be honest, the last doesn't appeal to me so much.  Using Sorcerer to play out a typical heist scenario seems kind of wrong.

That's it for now.

- Scott

Ron Edwards

Scott wrote,

"If I were to run something like this, what understanding of 'demons' would be most compelling?"

Seems to me that this question is all backwards. Having that "understanding" or concept of demons that is compelling would be necessary in the first place, in order to run "something like this."

Any of the list you provide is fine, as well as any number of others. What matters is which one you actually want, or find most interesting, yourself.

I guess I'm being sort of harsh - saying, if you want to run a given Sorcerer game, then have some spine about what sort of demons or demonic/metaphysic you want to bring to the prospect. "Courage of your convictions," OK?

Best,
Ron

hardcoremoose

I got ya' Ron.

This started out as some idle rambling about the new flick I just happened to see, but I like the idea enough that I might just try to run it sometime.  I'll have to let it simmer a bit though...

Maybe I'll rent some heist films this weekend.

- Scott