News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

More than one Cover?

Started by Eric, December 11, 2001, 09:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Scores of 5 or higher get two descriptions.  Does this also apply to to cover?  With a 5 Will and a 5 cover, could a character have belief system and self confident, and also Classical Scholar and Sculptor?

Ron Edwards

Hi Eric,

Excellent question. The answer is "No," that the two-descriptor rule only applies to Stamina, Will, and Lore.

However! Covers can be more complex than one word. I could see something like "Raised by wolves, now a special-ops agent." Also, the rules in 'Sword replace Cover with "Past," and they permit multiple Pasts. This works in a special way for this supplement's material.

In terms of the basic rules and Cover, I think that the distinction between Too Much and Too Little has to be worked out within individual play groups. It helps if you think of Cover as "what a reader or viewer would call the character," rather than as a literal indicator of every possible skill they might have.

The problem with being too free & easy is that many role-players are used to the Buckaroo Banzai method of character creation, in which the character may be ex-Special Forces, trained mystically in the Orient, a Ph.D. in Practical Engineering, and a mutant mind-control powerhouse and extra healing. I always use the movie/literature model for Cover definition, and point out that BB is a parody.

Best,
Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

I always use the movie/literature model for Cover definition, and point out that BB is a parody.

Isn't it an homage, really? It's cool, whatever it is. I'd put Six-String Samurai right next to it in terms of homage/pastiche films.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Eric

On 2001-12-11 11:58, Jared A. Sorensen wrote:
Isn't it an homage, really? It's cool, whatever it is. I'd put Six-String Samurai right next to it in terms of homage/pastiche films.

Haven't seen Six-String, but I loved BB ("Don't be mean.  You don't have to be mean").  And it is coming out on DVD shortly.  I wish it hadn't lost so much money so they could have made the second one.

Ron, thanks for the clairification on the covers, and you have me really looking forward to S&S.  Sounds like it is going to solve many on of the problems I'm having trying to get my campaign restarted.

hardcoremoose

I can't let an opportunity to talk about Six-String Samurai pass me by.

Watch it.  Then go play octaNe.  Both are awesome.

- Scott