News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Just ordered the rule book.

Started by ulfhiden, March 03, 2004, 01:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulfhiden

I just ordered the rule book and i am greatly anticipating its arrival. This game seems to be everything i want for the most part from a game.
However i have some questions about SA. First of is a character that is well not of the rightous lot a playable character say could conan or fafhrd and the gray mouser be sucsesful characters capable of growing and incresing there skills. This is importatn to me because all of my thoughts on a campghn are deeply rooted in pulp fiction. Also moral absolutism is for me a hard thing to inculde in my games. I hope that this will not be a problem with the game.

kenjib

The only SA that would be a problem, maybe, is conscience.  I think this could be debated though, as you could decide to re-cast conscience in relative terms - a "code of behavior" if you will.  The only restriction I would place would be that it should involve some sacrifice to follow this behavior.  However, even with that limitation I think a GM could really make situations that make any given code of behavior difficult to follow, and the Spiritual Attribute should only apply in these difficult situations.

The other ones could easily be applied to a character of any moral bent - Faith (can be an evil, nihilist, decadent, indifferent, etc. religion), drive, destiny, passion, luck.  These don't have any relationship to moral absolutism other than what you bring to them.
Kenji

Lance D. Allen

SAs can be whatever you want them to be. Good, evil, neutral.. purely selfish, purely altruistic, supporting of law or in contempt of law. You can play any sort of character you want. The only limit is what sort of game the GM and other players want.. It wouldn't be conducive to "party" style play if one person had the SA Drive: grind the common man under my heel if the rest of the PCs had SAs like Passion: Loyalty to the people or Drive: Defend the common man from being ground under the heel of other men.

The only one I would leave alone is Conscience. Yes, you can change it's meaning.. But then you lose the narrative conflict between conscience and other less noble SAs. It could create a story of redemption, as conscience encourages the character to abandon their amoral ways, or descent into depravity, as conscience falls by the wayside.

If you don't want to deal with conscience, simply don't take it.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls