News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Iron Game Chef -- The Publication!

Started by Dav, May 07, 2004, 01:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon W

Quote from: C. EdwardsI'd just like to point out there were fewer entries in the first two IGC competitions put together than there were in this one.

Enough to make a seperate volume? Depends on how many people sign on.

-Chris

Do we have a definitive answer on whether previous IGC entries are included or not? Dav? Mike?

Simon

Dav

This publication will only feature games from the IGC Fantasy competition.  

Formatting and style guidelines: you can give me detailed notes, or pdf mockups of how you think the pages should be put together, or just give me the text and let me run amok.  Any of these are fine.  

Dav

Dav

All right kids, the initial list.  I have divided them into "Yes", "Maybe", "No", and "I haven't heard word one from these people, and I don't know if they have seen or heard of this thread (which I am just now rolling into "Maybe" at the last minute and I am too lazy to delete and edit this section out)"

"YES" (meaning they posted publicly saying yes, or PM'd me, or phoned me, or somehow let Mike or I know specifically)

Timfire: The Mountain Witch

Jack Aidley: Chanter (AWWWWWW YEAH!)

Eero Tuovinen: The Battle of the Frozen Waste, The Fall of Atlantis and Dawn of Human History, and The Brotherhood (and all three should be included, as they are all DEFINITELY worth playing)

Mike Mendoza: Dilmun, Islands of Dawn: Assault of the Black Ice

Hans Christian Anderson: Snow Day (or Fort Joey Must Fall!)

Asrogoth: God Lore: The Chronicles of the Immortals

Rich Forest: Trouble in the Island Kingdoms

Jonathon Nicol: Fantasy Ice Breaker #1: The Dragon's Lair

John Laviolette: IceRunner: A Dweomerpunk Fantasy

Christopher Weeks: ICE

Zak Arntson: Terra Australis

Xiombarg: Children of the North: Assault on the Frozen Isle of the Lich-Lord

Ben Lehman: Polaris

Dav Harnish: Broken Vows

Designer X: Four Walls and a Funeral: Roleplaying Behind Bars

".5 Yes, .5 Maybe" (now with their own category!  And because I can)

Scott Knipe

Greyorm (The Good Rev.)

"MAYBE" (meaning they've seen this thread, heard about it, but don't know if they will have it done in time or have otherwise not given me a definitive answer)

Bill White

Johnathon Walton

Piers Brown

Alan Barclay

Darcy Burgess

Crackerjacker

Dev

Redivider

Dalek_of_god

James Sterret

Shreyas Sampat

Alexander Cherry

Walt Freitag

"NO" (meaning... well... no or "go take a piss" or something similar)

nobody as yet.

I'm going to get in direct contact with the Maybes during this week, so, if it is you, then by all means, get in touch with me first, if you wouldn't mind.  I will be posting all specifics in a final post to this thread by Friday, so if you could all sit tight until then, I would appreciate it.  Thanks, kids, you've made this wondrous (mostly... heh, I say this before the work really begins).

Also, please note Matt Snyder's recent post under Publishing (which, I could link for you, but I don't do HTML tags so much... so just look, please).  My reply in that thread specifically regards space in both this publication and the UDMMIV publication.  Ad space is free, and if you have something you want adified, by all means contact me.

Thanks for the time, see you soon.

Dav

(edited as updates are made)

greyorm

Here's me giving you a definite maybe!

No, seriously, let me think about it until Friday...I've got other projects eating at my time right now, so I want to make sure I have the time to add enough flesh to the bones that I'll feel comfortable releasing it (even as a free, "look what I did" draft).
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Dav

Wow, I was just preparing to bug you under your Indie Game Design thread.  Fair enough, if you can't make it, I will shed some tears, light a candle, and intone my dark gods to drag you screaming to... well, let's not worry about how it will affect me.

I would love to include At The Dawn, especially as I know you would do your own cover piece for it and your art is worth killing over (and, in some alleyways of Chicago... it is killed over).  Think well, good sir, think well.

Dav

JamesSterrett

Giving you a definite Yes!

Two questions:

-- Please provide a June deadline for submission to you (Dav) so you can format.  July 8 to Mike is all well and good, but I need the deadline for me to send out the file.  :)

-- How much editing can I do?  As you're all aware, my game has some significant problems, and I'd prefer to solve them for any printed version.  However, that does present a significantly more polished game than was submitted for IGC itself.

Perhaps the intro can note that we all had a crack at revising?

Ben Lehman

Free ad space?  Damn, Glenda!

Reserve a page, or half-page, for me.

Mike -- you have my polaris text.  Edit and suggest as you see fit.  There is a revised text that is sitting on my hard drive, but I don't think it is right, for several reasons, to stick it in this volume (it's nearly a complete textual rewrite.)

yrs--
--Ben

Dav

Ben:

Duly noted, and the space will be available.

James:

WOOHOO!  You are mentally added (I didn't realize... after 3+ years of being on the Forge, that I only have 60 minutes to edit a post).  Therefore, I will update the list on Friday.

Dav

edit postscript: Bill White is in!  YEEEHAW!  (that will be the ONLY time I ever say that... er... type that.  You know what I mean)

AND Frigid Bitch!  HOOHAH!  Mentally reshuffling the list as I think.

Lxndr

Frigid Bitch is a definite yes (it's slightly changed, but the attitude is the same).

The other two... are right now maybes of various stripes and colors.  I'll get back to you.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Jack Aidley

Would it be worth having short 'about the author' sections for each game? Probably with a URL linking to our other work?
- Jack Aidley, Great Ork Gods, Iron Game Chef (Fantasy): Chanter

Eero Tuovinen

Quote from: Jack AidleyWould it be worth having short 'about the author' sections for each game? Probably with a URL linking to our other work?

Well, I'd have to finally put up a web-site, at least.

I'm definitely for some metatext here, it gives nice context for the games and brings the contest to focus better than just publishing the games without explanation. Some possibilities include
- Author introduction as per Jack's suggestion.
- "State of the design", a short outline of where the author would take the game in question if he were to finish it for independent publication. Biggest problem spots, lacking content, etc.
- "What I tried to do", like the above, but from the introspective viewpoint. Points out the general goals and strengths of the game in question.
- Small boxes of feelings, comments and mood pieces about the contest itself, intersped here and there in the text to flash the reality of the writing conditions.

I'm thinking Mike and Dav could request some of these from the authors. Which ones is probably best left for the editor and the layout guy, as they know the grand outline of what they're producing.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

dalek_of_god

I guess I should officially say "Yes". I have been meaning to start up a thread to deal with the problems pointed out in Habakkuk's review, but work has been keeping me busy lately. Hopefully I'll get around to that in the next day or so.
Dwayne Kristjanson

Mike Holmes

I've been bandying about the idea of a paragraph of meta-text for each game. I think this would assuage each author's worries about where his game is at. We could explain just how raw or edited the entry was, or other notes on why it is what it is. I think it would add a lot of interest.

Thoughts? Again, just a paragraph, I don't want it to take up too much space.

I have no problem with including a URL - Dav? I don't think we want to do bios, but we could mention other works maybe? Really makes it sink in that it's a compilation of independents.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Dav

Yeah.  I'm all about giving the authors a quick "this is where it is, this is where it will be, and this is how it gets there".  I think a URL or similar reference point would be great.  

I agree, however, that it should be kept to about half-a-page or shorter.  Something on the order of a paragraph or so.

Dav

timfire

Quote from: Mike HolmesI've been bandying about the idea of a paragraph of meta-text for each game... I don't think we want to do bios...
I like the "meta-text" idea, given that it won't be too much for you to do.

I wanted to ask, why not do a 'bios' or 'about the author' paragraph? It doesn't matter to me, but I'm curious why you are against it.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert