News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TRoS game mechanics; game worlds other than Weyrth

Started by Nero's Boot, May 09, 2004, 12:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsruf

Quote from: StephenCan you point me to a description of that corruption mechanic, or retell it here?

Here you go. Of only these boards supported LaTeX code, I could just cut-and-paste from my player handout source file;)

Using magic works as described in the TROS rules. However, the penalty for reckless spellcasting is a different one:

Corruption
Every time a sorcerer casts a spell, he risks corrupting his body, mind and soul. Corruption is measured on a scale from 0 to 11 or higher. It is handled similar to magical aging in TROS, but for each month of aging indicated, a sorcerer gains 1 point of corruption instead

As soon as his corruption reaches 12 or more points, a sorcerer faces a serious choice: to resist corruption or to give in to it.  Either way, his score is immediately reduced by 12 points.

If he chooses to resist, the strain costs him a point from a random attribute (roll d10: 1 = ST, 2 = AG, etc.). If he gives in, he has to roll on the table below and gain the indicated flaw. In case he already suffers from the minor version of a major flaw, it merely gets worse. However, if he has the flaw at the same or higher level, he can add a point to a random attribute instead: his depravity is so great it makes him stronger!

Giving in to Corruption

d10..Flaw
(Minor Flaws)
..1..Addiction*
..2..Haunted
..3..Lecherousness
..4..Overconfident
..5..Rage
(Major Flaws)
..6..Greed
..7..Phobia**
..8..Sleep Disorder
..9..Tormented
10..Ugly

* Sorcerer suffers chronic pains requiring a certain drug as remedy; start withdrawal at -3 penalty.
** Object chosen by Seneschal.

The idea was to have "white" mages who suffer silently and "black" mages who become ever uglier and conceited/disturbed, until they cross the threshold to inhumanity. This fits magic as portrayed in the Conan stories, and also in Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser tales, IMO.

I can't tell how well the rules work, since I've just started my campaign. If you spot any major flaws (haha), please tell me.
Niko Ruf

Turin

Wolfen wrote:

Given that the title of the game is borrowed from Conan, wouldn't it only make sense that the game supports the same gritty, no-holds barred fantasy that you see in Conan novels?

It's been a while since I read the novels, but what is the relationship between the title of TROS?

Valthalion

Quote from: Mike HolmesI seem to recal that someody had converted Harn to TROS.

I am using Harn with TROS.  I have been a Harniac for 20 odd years. I actually found out about TROS on the Harnic message boards. (Thanks Spartan!) To be honest the world of Harn is in such detail that I would  find it hard to convert to anywhere else.
(I mean too much work)

The island of picti is a very similar shape and position to Harn, so I have sort of transported Harn into Weyrth and harn is middle ages (1100AD approx) and Weyrth seems to be late middle ages early renaisance  so I have morphed harn to fit that period. (well picti seems to be about 4-6th century AD but anyway)

Actually I am basically running full TROS with add ins from Harn where TROS is less specific.  (Encounters etc)
For anyone interested my campaign is set in Quimen in the Harnic kingdom of Orbaal.  Quimen is the stronghold of the Order of Crimson Dancer a fighting order of the evil God Agrik, (a female order) who took the place by force about 17 years ago, killing all of the Jarin nobility (with the sanction of the King of Orbaal I might add).  They are holding down the Jarinese peasants with brutality and torture.  

The player characters are (with the exception of one) are locals. Either living in the town or just returning from exile.  

I picked such an unpleasant place to give myself and the players some easy SA's,  sort of as an introduction.

Valthalion
Knight Against Chaos
Ours is to choose what to do with the time we have been given

Gandalf

Tash

Quote from: TurinIt's been a while since I read the novels, but what is the relationship between the title of TROS?

There is a line somewhere in Conan where he says he wants to understand the Riddle of Steel so he can stand before Crom on the day of judgement and answer as a warrior, or soemthing like that.  One of my PCs has this as his faith SA and told me it was lifted word for word from Conan.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

nsruf

I am quite sure it is not from the original Conan stories by R. E. Howard. It is definitely in the movie, and may have been taken from one of the Conan pastiches.
Niko Ruf

Turin

There is a line somewhere in Conan where he says he wants to understand the Riddle of Steel so he can stand before Crom on the day of judgement and answer as a warrior, or soemthing like that.

Must be one of the movies.  I always hated those, felt they never did any justice to the books

Jake Norwood

It is and it isn't related to the movie. It's really more of an unfortuante coincidence. I love Conan stuff (including the first movie--I just have to pretend that it isn't Conan), but from the outset the game was meant to be about philosophy and seeking...and about swords. Riddles, and Steel. So I came up with it independantly, I guess, but all the while I knew that Oliver Stone had expressed the idea earlier (as had John Wick, more or less simultaneously to TROS, in Orkword). I was chagrined by it all, but nothing else fitted. So I went with it, hoping that the Conan-movie-relationship would (for the most part) blow over. For the most part it has.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Spartan

Quote from: SigurthI have succesfully used and am continuing to use TROS for a Harnworld game.

I used TROS for Hârn, and it works smashingly.  It's every bit as good as HârnMaster for Hârn with a bit of work.  I think that once my current Hârn campaign (using HMG) winds down, I'll start another one using TROS.  They're so good together I just can't stand it. ;)

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Spartan

Quote from: ValthalionFor anyone interested my campaign is set in Quimen in the Harnic kingdom of Orbaal.  Quimen is the stronghold of the Order of Crimson Dancer a fighting order of the evil God Agrik, (a female order) who took the place by force about 17 years ago, killing all of the Jarin nobility (with the sanction of the King of Orbaal I might add).  They are holding down the Jarinese peasants with brutality and torture.

Kick ass.  Is Brigyth Cysemet going to make an appearance?  What tweaks have you made to the system to suit Hârn?

-Mark

Valthalion

Quote from: Spartan

Is Brigyth Cysemet going to make an appearance?  What tweaks have you made to the system to suit Hârn?

Would you believe it but one of the characters chose Social Class B (Landless Noble) and Destiny Return Lands taken by the Crimson Dancer (I paraphrase)

I am still tinkering.  I suppose the two biggest differences are that I sort of de-tolkeinsed Harn and made it more Celtic Mythology. (I think that TRoS is quite Celtic)  So the Fey live in the Shava Forest etc Azadmere is a court of the Seelie etc.  Actually it is the presence of the Siehe that is the biggest difference. It works quite well because the Jarin are fairly obviously Celtic based.  
Practically speaking I took the map of Orbaal scanned it and enlarged it around Quimen about  three hexes on a page. Then I used the detailed geography of the valley above quimen to plan my campaign, which is geographical rather than player based (never done that before either)  So the valley is full of interesting places and  people (Fairies and goblins heh, heh ) So,   the characters are operating in the valley, they have struck their first blows for independence with a well orchestrated ambush.  (Killing believe it or not 7 soldiers and two knights without loss of life. (Whoa 3 bowmen firing from a rock outcrop above a narrow defile. TRoS is cool)
Then they sabotaged the iron mine above Quimen (I love Harn too)

I suppose the answer to your question really is that I am morphing Harn more than TROS (I understand Harn far better, this is my first go at TROS)

Regards
Valthalion
Knight Against Chaos
Ours is to choose what to do with the time we have been given

Gandalf

Spartan

Quote from: ValthalionWould you believe it but one of the characters chose Social Class B and (Landless Noble) and Destiny Return Lands taken by the Crimson Dancer (I paraphrase)

Scary, that coincidence thing. :)

QuoteI suppose the two biggest differences are that I sort of de-tolkeinsed Harn and made it more Celtic Mythology.

Heresy!!!!!!!!! ;) :D

Yes, the Jarin are wonderful to use to insert Celtic themes into Hârn.  There's just so much meat in Hârn in general, but Orbaal remains one of my favourite areas.

That being said, I really like what I've seen of Tharda through Sigurth's campaign, as before that was the area I was least interested in.  I think my next TROS-Hârn campaign will be in Kanday, which borders Tharda.  It might be neat to juxtapose the cultural differences of feudal Kanday with the Thardic Republic.  I hope you post some of your campaign notes, Valthalion.

-Mark

Valamir

Quote from: TurinThere is a line somewhere in Conan where he says he wants to understand the Riddle of Steel so he can stand before Crom on the day of judgement and answer as a warrior, or soemthing like that.

Must be one of the movies.  I always hated those, felt they never did any justice to the books

dredging up a slightly old thread for the sake of completeness.

Having just watched the movie again this weekend I can confirm the following.

At the beginning of Conan, Conan's father refers to the "Enigma of Steel", calling on his son to solve the mystery and answer the riddle.

Thulsa Doom refers specifically to the "Riddle of Steel" during his interview of Conan following Conan's failed attempt to infiltrate the ceremony saying "you know what the answer is don't you boy..." before launching into his "what is steel compared to the hand that wields it" speech and commanding a initiate to jump to her death to demonstrate the power of flesh.

Pretty cool.

Fleinhoy

Planning to implement it into the Warcraft setting since I have a deep and genuine loathing for D20.

Someone mentioned replacing the magical ageing with corruption, I'd be interested in knowing how you did that.

Mike Holmes

The Conan film is a mixed bag. It tries to do a lot, and does some of it pretty well. The riddle scene is oft quoted around my game table. In fact, from what I understand, some of the swordfighting was choriagraphed by somebody who knew some actual WMA. Meaning that the swordfighting isn't completely unrealistic.

In any case, again, whether it's the books or the movie, TROS fits the Hyborian Age like a glove.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jake Norwood

Quote from: Mike HolmesThe Conan film is a mixed bag. It tries to do a lot, and does some of it pretty well. The riddle scene is oft quoted around my game table.

Oliver Stone co-wrote the script, you know. It's actually a good movie, especially given the status of fantasy films in the early 80's. There's some fun philosophic tidbits in places (I love Conan's discussion about religion with the Hyrkanian). It's also interesting to see how they stole individual scenes out of the original stories without actually using any of the original stories...

QuoteIn fact, from what I understand, some of the swordfighting was choriagraphed by somebody who knew some actual WMA. Meaning that the swordfighting isn't completely unrealistic.

It's crap. Nobody knew anything about WMA in 1981, anyway (at least as it pertained to the weapons in CtB). There's a clear kendo influence, though, which shows up in the kata and in the stances (but not the horrible edge-banging in the fights with Rexor, nor the inverted-grip that he likes to twirl the sword with). Argh... Rant over.

QuoteIn any case, again, whether it's the books or the movie, TROS fits the Hyborian Age like a glove.

Yeah, baby. I didn't realize how much, actually, until I re-read the first dozen Conan stories. Neat.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant