News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TRoS game mechanics; game worlds other than Weyrth

Started by Nero's Boot, May 09, 2004, 12:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero's Boot

I've recently been cruising the forums at RPG.net, and I've seen some threads about using TRoS with other, established game settings (i.e., Greyhawk, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, etc).  What worlds from other FRPGs have you stripped clean of original system, and then plugged in The Riddle of Steel?

--granted, Greyhawk works much better d20, but hey....NB
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Torg 1.0; Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgment; and Sorcerer.
CURRENTLY PLAYING: D&D v3.5.
CURRENTLY READING: Underground core rulebook; My Life with Master; and Stormbringer 5e corebook.

nsruf

We just started a TROS game in Hyboria using Mongoose's Conan RPG for source material. I converted the races and equipment lists from the latter, and changed the consequences of spellcasting from aging to a corruption mechanic.

So far, we just made characters and ran some sample combats, but the first real game session is tomorrow. I'll post info about the PCs and their first adventure later this week if I get around to it.
Niko Ruf

Nero's Boot

Gah!  Conan and TROS mesh as well as human flesh and a whirlwind of monofilament razors.  Conan was an epic warrior who challenged gods and won; by TROS rules, he would've been killed doing the things he normally did.

--I'm sorry, that is the worst setting/system mesh ever NB
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Torg 1.0; Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgment; and Sorcerer.
CURRENTLY PLAYING: D&D v3.5.
CURRENTLY READING: Underground core rulebook; My Life with Master; and Stormbringer 5e corebook.

nsruf

Not at all. TROS is the ultimate Sword & Sorcery RPG, IMO, and Conan is (one of) the ultimate Sword and Sorcery stories. If you give Conan the proper Spiritual Attributes, he can just overcome the challenges set before him. Something like:

Conscience (barbarian's code of honor)

Faith (Crom - not that Crom listens to prayers, but I'd allow a Cimmerian to apply this SA to doing anything suicidally reckless)

Luck

Destiny (become king of Aquilonia - maybe less specific for early Conan)

Drive (early Conan: become rich / late Conan: become leader of men)

I just read all the original Conan tales (by Howard himself) to prepare for my campaign, and noted time and again what an excellent fit the system is. E.g. Conan never takes on multiple opponents unless he is desperate or clearly the superior combatant. And I could almost translate his battles into TROS rules in my mind while reading about them.
Niko Ruf

Malechi

alright.. for fear of a knee-jerk response i'll put forward my converted setting.. Midnight by Fantasy Flight Games.  Frankly the d20 version was, while interesting far from ideal.  As a TROS game it shines.   It *is* blood opera.

once again SAs make the difference between a deadly dead-end system and a game of deadly heroics...

Jason K...
Katanapunk...The Riddle of Midnight... http://members.westnet.com.au/manji/

Tash

One of the charactes in my campaign IS Conan...his Faith SA is "To seek the Riddle of Steel so that he may stand before Crom on the Day of Judgement and answer as a warrior".

I'm also working out a way to quickly port 3rd Edition D&D character stats to TRoS because my group has a huge amount of D&D/Forgotten Realms source material, but we like the TRoS mechanics better.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

bergh

We invented out own world, and this works fine, i think its a shame that some people can't relate to or think for them self.

A world and rule change over should not give anyone with a bit creativity any problems, and tros is really a very basic RPG, you can always invent new abilitys or special gift if you want.

i'de even think that it would world fine for a RPG set in present day or the future, shooting machanics should just be the same, but still have to think about how automatic weapons function with the rules.
Kind regards....

-Brian Bergh
brianbbj@hotmail.com
TRoS .pdf files: http://fflr.dk/tabletop/TROS/

Tash

I've invented world's for campaigns, but its so much work I don't do it any more.  I'm the kind of person who needs an answer to every question, so when i create a setting I don't feel like its done until every detail is finished and every aspect is covered.  I spend more time working on world and setting than I do on the rest of the game, so I don't do it any more.

My current game is set in Weryth and centers on a war between two provencinces located near the border with Angharad.  It bothers me to no end that I don't have these provinces completely mapped, populated and plotted but I'm forcing myself just to flesh out details as they are needed because I want to spend more time getting into the game itself.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Edge

I have played in Jason's Midnight conversion and i have to say i like it allot.

i also worked on a conan conversion and have to say i whole heartedly agree that it converts really well.

I have been doing a bit of work on a japanese conversion (different to jake's :) more based on a specific time period) as well as helping jase with the katanapunk setting ( i admit i haven't done nearly enough for this)

I have also been seriously thinking about a pendragon conversion but haven't found the time to work on it.

Turin

QuoteGah! Conan and TROS mesh as well as human flesh and a whirlwind of monofilament razors

Actually, from what I've seen TROS would work great in Hyboria, and that includes the strength/toughness thing I don't care for.

The strength toughness rules are a little far fetched for a realy realistic system, but would work great for Conan.  You would have to give him an 8 in many stats to make him like the book, but the cinematic times when Conan "avoids the blow because of his barbarian quick reflexes - unlike that of the softer civilized people around him" or something like that.  The books reference Conan's strength, will, agility, and toughness at least a few times per episode.

Conan was one I've my favorite book series as a kid, and TROS would represent the graphicness of the books also, as well as the extremely powerful sorcerers (aging is another issue)

Anyone tried or think TROS would work well with Gemmel's books like Druss, the Drenai Saga, Wayleander, etc.?

Judd

I ran Midnight with TROS and it worked like a charm, really added something to the game.

Before that I ran a one-shot in a city-state called Marsui that I hd written up for D&D but knew it was perfect for TROS the moment I laid eyes on it.

Lance D. Allen

Given that the title of the game is borrowed from Conan, wouldn't it only make sense that the game supports the same gritty, no-holds barred fantasy that you see in Conan novels?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Stephen

Quote from: nsrufWe just started a TROS game in Hyboria using Mongoose's Conan RPG for source material. I converted the races and equipment lists from the latter, and changed the consequences of spellcasting from aging to a corruption mechanic.

Can you point me to a description of that corruption mechanic, or retell it here?
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

Mike Holmes

I seem to recal that someody had converted Harn to TROS.

I also fully support the Hyboria idea as essentially TROS. I believe that Wyerth was made to emulate Hyboria in most ways, actually, and the action of TROS suits it perfectly. Conan is the smart cookie who fights only when his SAs are on the line, and skedaddles when conflcits come up that aren't his concern.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Sigurth

I have succesfully used and am continuing to use TROS for a Harnworld game.

See signature.
Do you know the Riddle of Hârn? (A Hârnic Story Hour with Game Notes using TROS, continued)