News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

longsword prof and 1h use

Started by toli, June 17, 2004, 01:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toli

These a questions primarily for Jake or anyone else who knows about the longsword prof.

How much 1 handed use is taught in this prof?

Do all maneuvers (eg counters) apply to both 1h use and 2h use? (aside from half-swording or course)

NT
NT

Tash

I'm pretty sure they do.  I can't think of any reason you couldn't do one of the maneuvers with just one hand, though I suppose its possible that a character could have neglected to train in 1 hand use, but I think that would be a roleplaying decision only, not mechanic one.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Ashren Va'Hale

I think the adjusted target numbers are all the compensation you would need for portraying one handed use.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Richard_Strey

Quite on track, so far. Pretty much all maneuvers can be executed both one- and twohanded. While, e.g., for a given situation A, I might employ a twohanded counter X, the onehanded response might be a totally different counter Y, it would still be a "counter". The handling and possiblilities in a fight shift somewhat once you loose the additional power -and, above all- speed and maneuverability of your second hand. This is modelled in the higher ATNs and DTNs. However, all the tactical options remain the same.

Edit: Which is the main reason the Long Sword was also called the "Two-Hand Sword" by the contemporary masters. If your left hand isn't occupied by holding a shield, you really want to keep it on your weapon. Unless of course, you are in the process of punching the other guy in the mouth, wrestling, unscrewing and throwing your pommel or whatnot. ;)

Salamander

Quote from: Richard_StreyQuite on track, so far. Pretty much all maneuvers can be executed both one- and twohanded. While, e.g., for a given situation A, I might employ a twohanded counter X, the onehanded response might be a totally different counter Y, it would still be a "counter". The handling and possiblilities in a fight shift somewhat once you loose the additional power -and, above all- speed and maneuverability of your second hand. This is modelled in the higher ATNs and DTNs. However, all the tactical options remain the same.

Edit: Which is the main reason the Long Sword was also called the "Two-Hand Sword" by the contemporary masters. If your left hand isn't occupied by holding a shield, you really want to keep it on your weapon. Unless of course, you are in the process of punching the other guy in the mouth, wrestling, unscrewing and throwing your pommel or whatnot. ;)

Don't forget throwing him and cutting him with the sword in your other hand as he falls...
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Tash

Holding on to the reins of your horse is another good use of your off hand.  That's about the only time my longsword wielding character goes to 1 hand use.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Salamander

Quote from: TashHolding on to the reins of your horse is another good use of your off hand.  That's about the only time my longsword wielding character goes to 1 hand use.

If I recall, A well trained Charger, Courser or Destrier were all capable of recieving commnd through the stirrups, spurs and even a few sounds. So this would make the one handed use of a longsword an option, not mandatory...
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".