News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Grapple to Disarm

Started by aaronharmon, June 22, 2004, 01:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronharmon

OK, using a weapon, there is probably a better way to disarm someone, such as attacking the arm, but I know of many unarmed offensive and defensive techniques to use leverage, instead of injury, to take something out of someone's hand. In the system we already have the disarm under the counter maneuver, but I think we should add, under the grapple maneuver:
Grapple to Disarm
Set-up like a normal grapple (offensive or defensive), each die of success margin adds a die to your STR for performing a contested STR roll on the next exchange to remove an item (such as a weapon) from their hand. I would thank that it is impractical to try and take someone's shield from them, it would at least have an very high activation cost.

In real life, almost all these techniques (actually I can not think of a practical one that does not) requires that you trap the opponent's arm, and then either use the weapon itself as a lever to force it from their hand, or pulling the weapon, while striking the hand, to sort of 'pop' it out of their grip.
I have used them IRL to get things out of people's hands, and they really do work. I have no war stories though, so far the removed items have been limited to a telephone and a waterhose.

Ashren Va'Hale

I can think of several techniques for a disarm which use the leverage of your own weapon to disarm. My favorite is a messer technique where you basically catch the overhand blow on your cross with your wrist turned outward then you twist bringing your pommel down in the inside of your opponents wrist while swinging your tip in line for a thrust to the neck. The twisting motion goes downward and away from your opponent as well and rips the weapon right out of his/her hands.  There are several others where you grab the cross or the grip and yank. So, not all disarms are from the grapple. BUT a lot of really good ones are and I like the maneuver you made.I've always house ruled that a disarm from a grapple to trap was possible and then used the margin of success table under the counter section.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

aaronharmon

Good point about the sword disarm. All of my real life experience is unarmed martial arts.

Tash

Quote from: aaronharmonhave no war stories though, so far the removed items have been limited to a telephone and a waterhose.

What's the DTN for a waterhose :)
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Jake Norwood

Can we say...

TFOB?

Sorry, sorry, it's just that all the art is coming in now and I'm getting excited.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

aaronharmon

So when does that hit the stores?

Jake Norwood

The goal is still GenCon. I was getting worried for a while, honestly (and Brian was ready to give up on me), but thanks to a number of recent IRL breakthroughs, I'm trucking along a a record pace in realizing this puppy.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

aaronharmon

QuoteWhat's the DTN for a waterhose :)

LOL, Umm, yeah, I have never been attacked with a real weapon, but I have practiced taking them away. The waterhose incident was a vicious attack by my nephew during a family gathering, He just wouldn't stop soaking me, so I had no choice but to take away the hose and toss him.

Prince of Thieves

Quote from: Tash
Quote from: aaronharmonhave no war stories though, so far the removed items have been limited to a telephone and a waterhose.

What's the DTN for a waterhose :)

DTN? Come on, we all know the waterhose is a ranged weapon.
Hmm, with stats as follows.

Waterhose.
0-1 rounds preparation time
1(to uncrimp hose), 0(if hose is open)
1mp to reduce prep. time by 1 second at Reflex/TN 6
ATN: 6
Range: +1 ATN per 3 yards.

hehe... sorry it seemed funny at the time but I've probable coldly murdered the joke. :)
Ironic humor dragged down all the twilight minarets he reared, and the earthy fear of improbability blasted all of the delicate and amazing flowers in his feary gardens.
-H.P. Lovecraft, The Silver Key

bottleneck

[quote="TashWhat's the DTN for a waterhose :)[/quote]

Didn't you see Jake's reply?

The stats for waterhose will be in TFOB !

(probably along with a separate damage table for water; using the generic table seems a bit inappropriate)

[the only good joke is a dead joke]
...just another opinion...

Ashren Va'Hale

Quote from: Jake NorwoodThe goal is still GenCon. I was getting worried for a while, honestly (and Brian was ready to give up on me), but thanks to a number of recent IRL breakthroughs, I'm trucking along a a record pace in realizing this puppy.

Jake

'
Im an ignoramus here, when's Gencon? Some of us are still so archaic that we use months and numbers representing days to mark the passage of time ;)
And I am really looking forward to this supplement!
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

[MKF]Kapten

I think GenCon is 19 august. Two months to go :)
The path of the warrior is covered in blood. Most of it will be yours so you better have alot of it.

While other clans play, MKF kills!