News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon 2004] The folks who'll be there

Started by Ron Edwards, July 11, 2004, 10:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tav_Behemoth

The Behemoth3 crew--expected to consist of Tavis Allison (myself), Nat Sims, Brian Stith, and Sang Lee--will be arriving Thursday morning. Nat and I will head off to run the first round of our tournament, and Brian and Sang will bring our stuff to the booth:

- a banner
- copies of Masters and Minions Horde Books 1,2, and 3
- 4x6' cards with monster illustrations that can be given out as freebies
- maybe some Frisbees with monster illustrations, also as freebies

Has there been a description of the specs for banners that I missed?

Also, should we start separate threads to familiarize one another with the look, feel, and pricing of booth games?
Masters and Minions: "Immediate, concrete, gameable" - Ken Hite.
Get yours from the creators or finer retail stores everywhere.

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

For familiarity with the games, let's start merely by visiting every available website for all of them, via the username profiles at the Forge. Although I'm being a little lazy in asking you all to forage for them, I'm pretty sure that will be fairly easy.

We'll take it from there in a little while.

For banners ... well, we have FIVE $200 buy-ins PLUS the primary sponsors. That's nine banners, people!! Plus a general Forge banner, making ten.

I dunno about you, but I'm getting a little worried. Clearly people who've already sprung for big-ass banners want to use them. Clearly we have limited space.

The good news is that the space isn't actually tiny - it is three booth widths, after all. And the current thinking on booth layout will be way better for banner space than last year - no boxes, for instance, and the purchase point will be at one end instead of back & center.

So ... maybe we're not that bad off. Still, if you haven't made a banner yet, I suggest keeping it small - anything smaller than standard poster size should be just fine. We also might (dunno yet) have to practice some trading-out of the bigger banners, if we have to. Pretty sure not, but that's at least one option.

Best,
Ron

Matt Snyder

'Cause Ron's lazy (not really):

Each entry has publisher title with "point man" in parentheses. I hope I didn't miss anyone or goof up a link. Editing's a bitch on the Forge! ;)

PRIMARY SPONSOR GAMES

Adept Press (Ron Edwards)
Adept Press
Trollbabe
Elfs

Driftwood Publishing (Jake Norwood)
The Riddle of Steel

Ramshead Publishing (Ralph Mazza)
Universalis
(Robots & Rapiers?)

Burning Wheel (Luke Crane)

$200 BUY-IN

Half Meme Press (Paul Czegel)
My Life with Master
Nicotine Girls

Chimera Creative (Matt Snyder)
Dust Devils
Nine Worlds

Behemoth3 (Tav Allison)
Masters & Minions

Lumpley Games (Vincent Baker)
kill puppies for satan

Digital Alchemy (Dan Ridenhour)
Cartoforge

$100 BUY-IN GAMES

Dog-Eared Designs (Matt Wilson)
Prime Time Adventures

BTRC (Greg Porter)
EABA

Twisted Confessions (Alexander Cherry)
Fastlane

Bob Goat Press (Keith Senkowski)
Conspiracy of Shadows

Incarnadine Entertainment (Michael S. Miller)
With Great Power . . .

Custom-Built Games (Gordon R. Landis)
SNAP

(Sorry, Gordon, couldn't find a link. Let us know more!)
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Jürgen Mayer

I'm hitting the city on tuesday at 6 pm (so if anybody is in town early, I wouldn't be averse to a gaming night - if not, I prolly can make good use of the time to get rid of my jet-lag). This means I can meet with Ron at his hotel on Wednesday morning, as soon as he's there, and I'll be available for booth setup and other preparation work the whole day.
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

Matt Gwinn

Janet and I will be in town on Tuesday.
We're not working the booth this year, so we can enjoy our honeymoon, but we will be available from time to time to help out.  And we would be willing to game on Tuesday if anyone else who is around.

,Matt
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

smokewolf

Hey guys, sorry I am a little late. I just got all of my info and $ to Ron yesterday.

I am Keith Taylor with 93 Games Studio. My partner (Andy Williams) and me will both be attending as $100 buy-ins. We will be pushing 'The Swing', no pun in tended. I will be up there Thursday morning bright and early.

You can find information about us at www.93gamesstudio.com . Let me know if you need any information about us or The Swing. I have a demo version of the game up at our site, it contains only setting information and NO rules. The Swing uses a very realistic game engine, so I figure most of the demo-ing will be done by myself. But if you would like to give it a try, PM me and I will get you a copy of the rules.

Also, Andy lives in Indy and he does not live far from the center, so he can put up one extra person for the duration. Let me know if someone needs a place to crash.
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Ron Edwards

Ooohh! I've been trying to find someone who lives in Indianapolis. Keith, can you have Andy contact me by email?

Best,
Ron

Tav_Behemoth

Guys, I'm as busy as a one-lipped man at an an ass-kissing contest right now; the chance that I'll be able to read enough of your sites, excellent as I'm sure they are, to do justice to your game is slight. And I freely admit I'm much more ignorant of your work than I'd like -- and I'm the most indie-savvy member of the Behemoth3 team.

I'm going to start a thread in Publishing (since it might be of interest to non-conventioneers as well) giving one-liners on what my game is, how to pitch it, and how to segue into selling your game. If other folks do the same, I can promise all Behemoths will have read at least that much!

smokewolf

Why not have everyone pm me with the basics that would go on a sell sheet? I will compile them into a readable cheat sheet.
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Tav_Behemoth

I'll do that as well when time permits, smokewolf, but in my case at least there's pitches people can make in person that can't be made publicly and/or are more difficult to express on paper.

Here's the link for the pitch thread.

jrs

Quote from: Ron EdwardsThe good news is that the space isn't actually tiny - it is three booth widths, after all.
Hey Ron,

I seem to recall that the original plan was the booth would be an endcap like last year which is two booth widths.  And, that's what it looks like it is according to the exhibit hall layout at the GenCon site.  Was a change made in the booth size/configuration?

Julie

Ron Edwards

No, I just typed "three" instead of "two." Anyway, it's a really long curtain thing. Lots of room, if we all stay nice and reasonable.

Best,
Ron

Matt Snyder

Looks like we've got a great spot, and it's in the the "Quiet Zone." I'm not sure what that means, but it appears to be a suite of booths cordoned off from the floor (presumably with large cloth curtains?).

Also, there are large numbers of open gaming tables and chairs on the floor -- in the far corners, basically. I am not aware if this was available last year, but it might be useful for "overflow" demos.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

smokewolf

BTW, Ron, as soon as I get hold of Andy I will have him email you (he works odd hours).
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

As I understand it, the Quiet Zone is not cordoned off or visually separated from the rest of the floor. However, no booth with sound systems are in it or bordering it, and no speakers/TVs/etc can be directed toward it.

Matt, as I am somewhat foolish, can you post the booth number here please? Dan Ridenhour has been especially patient about that ...

Best,
Ron