News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Getting it out of your system.

Started by Domhnall, April 05, 2005, 08:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domhnall

So, we can drop the analytical, guarded, balanced approach to discourse  for the Forge B-day and just act like a regular forum for a few days.  

I hate Dungeons and Dragons.  

There, I said it.

Thank you.

Try it (whatever your "it" is), it really helps!
--Daniel

James Holloway

Well, OK.

You know what I can't stand? I can't stand that guy that goes "I'm the eeeevil GM, I'm going to fuck with your characters! I'm so villainous! MMMwahahaha!"

I know he means well, but it's just so tiresome. I'd rather hear "hey guys, hopefully this is going to be a great session! The characters might get fucked with, and I think you'll really dig it!"

I just don't have the energy to deal with this "I'm so sick and twisted" nonsense anymore, especially when it never really turns out to be as sick and twisted as all that.

I hope this isn't a "flaming topic." Different strokes for different folks, obviously -- this is just an irrational pet peeve of mine.

Sean

I love dungeons and dragons.

I love running games at cons and hobby shops where I kill half or more the party and then gloat right in their faces over their dead characters. I get off on that. It makes me feel powerful. It also makes the players who survive feel like they're smarter, sharper, better players than the suckers who got nailed by the poison spikes.

Don't assume you know me because I love both of those things though. I love other kinds of roleplaying more. But it's not an either/or for me like it seems to be for some but not all gamers.

Matt Wilson

Fucking mayonaisse, shows up on/in everything. Repulsive. Forces me to eat in fear.

Or were we just talking in terms of gaming?

Rich Forest

Doug Ruff

Quote from: Matt WilsonFucking mayonaisse, shows up on/in everything. Repulsive. Forces me to eat in fear.

Or were we just talking in terms of gaming?

If we're playing this like a 'regular' forum, then worrying about what the thread is meant to be about probably isn't an issue.

... and there'd be a 2 inch tall smiley at the end of that last sentence.
'Come and see the violence inherent in the System.'

Tobias

I hate not having any players around that will insta-form and game with me when I want them to.

(Yes, I have plenty of friends. Very few active gamers at this moment, though).
Tobias op den Brouw

- DitV misses dead gods in Augurann
- My GroupDesign .pdf.

Jack Aidley

Quote from: Matt WilsonFucking mayonaisse, shows up on/in everything. Repulsive. Forces me to eat in fear.

Yeah. I just call it 'evil'.
- Jack Aidley, Great Ork Gods, Iron Game Chef (Fantasy): Chanter

Shreyas Sampat

I wish all you theorists would get off your butts and design again.

Ben Lehman

I love D&D.  It is my second or third favorite game.  I play it all the time.  The best parts are the Feat trees and the Attacks of Opportunity.  Third is just a masterwork of design, first second, and basic are important archealogical treasures -- records of play from an earlier era.  Anyone who is a designer who can't read a D&D book and come away with a grand appreciation for the content within is a putz.

yrs--
--Ben

P.S.  Totally not joking.

Andy Kitkowski

I hate cucumbers.

I hate licensed games. With the exception of Weapons of the Gods, which has its own system, Dresden Files which uses its own FATE kernel, and to a lesser degree Buffy, which at least has its own rules regarding drama that gives it the Buffy Feel... THEY ALL SUCK. It's the same old shit each time: "Here's the license, presented as-is in System X with no modifications, where the core book doubles as a masturbatory fan guide. No consideration was given to create a system geared to the license, we just used our house rules with like one, MAYBE two modifications.

I hate Exalted to some extent, because overall it's a decent system, but its smothered in random background shit. Watching threads on background/metaplot elements regarding Exalted on RPGNet are like watching martians speak through emitting pheremone/memory-laden smoke from their bodies. Forge terminology ain't got shit on major background NPCs, cities and organization lore and background in Exalted. It's a game that's perfect for people who want to remain "gamers" without ever having to play a session of roleplaying, simply by reading the background books.  GRRRRRRrrrrrr! (and it didn't have to be that way)

I hate Jasper, because now I've got to get in shape for GenCon 2005. Bastard sucks for raising the bar on excellent gamers with hawt physiques.

I hate manga/anime because invariable the Wrong Shit gets translated/released in the US (Exxaxxion? FUcking blow me), and folks who are influenced by Japanese pop art are not influenced by Blade of the Immortal, Eden, Zipang, Monster or Berserk... but rather influenced by "Miss Bigtits Pantyshot Gun-Violence Sensei Yuriko" type manga/anime. Fucking suck.

EDIT: I forgot one thing:
I hate the Way of New Potential Game Designers.  "Oh, I've got a nascent game idea!  I better register my business, print business cards, come up with a logo, design a website, talk up the game YET not reveal too much because someone may steal my ideas...  Oh, and maybe, maybe, if I have enough time, I may even one day begin actually writing a draft of my game..."
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Keith Senkowski

I hate Exalted/World of Darkness et al.  I want to take that bitch out back and curb kick the fucker.  Then I'm going to drag out its blind ass fans and tell them a little story, cause I'm the fucking Storyteller bitch and in my story all those little fuckers get to go skitching, but without the fucking sled/skateboard.  Just their big fat asses on the ground and my car going 60...

Oh and I like mayonaise.  It is good with tuna and relish.  If you can't like it with tuna and relish then I will track your ass down and teach you to like it...

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Judd

I hate anti-Forge sentiments that I catch hither and yon.  What is that about?

I hate when I look back on a day and realize I haven't written and pushed myself.

I hate when people crunch styrofoam between their fingers.

The texture of broccoli, even though I know it is so good for me.

Sean

Is broccoli actually good for us? I've never been clear on this. I thought it was at one point but then someone who seemed to know what they were talking about claimed that it was mostly empty calories, like cauliflower. (I don't know if this is true about cauliflower either.) Anyone know the facts here?

Keith Senkowski

I always thought broccholi uncooked was good for you, but cooked was useless and that it prevents cancer.  I think we need a ruling on this...

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel