News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Getting it out of your system.

Started by Domhnall, April 05, 2005, 08:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance D. Allen

I hate people who feel the need to break out of a niche, simply because they realize they're in a niche.

I hate people who feel the need to justify their niche, to glorify it, to make themselves feel good about being there.

It's just a niche people. Give it a nod and move on.

I hate One-True-Wayism. Not so much that people believe that there is such a way, but where they feel the need to rescue people who don't follow their way, or feel that people who don't follow their way are less. This applies to religion, politics, and gaming theory. And other stuff too.

I hate D&D. I'll admit it. I totally respect the game, especially in it's current incarnation, for doing what it does and doing it well. But I still hate it, because it's considered the standard. I hate that awesome gamers whose playstyles are totally incompatible with how D&D is meant to play will avidly, sometimes even hostilely defend it as the best game evar.

I hate extremist conservatives almost as much as I hate foaming liberals.

I hate peas, onions and raw tomatoes. And mayonaise, where I can taste it.

I hate being, as I call it, "feedback driven". I hate the fact that I can't keep my enthusiasm and motivation going in the absence of feedback, interest and motivation from those I choose to call friends and peers.

I hate raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens. Okay, not really. I do hate yappy lapdogs, though.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Ben Lehman

Oh, on things I hate:

I hate Little Fears.

I hate people who make me ashamed to be an American, and people who want me to be ashamed for being an American.

yrs--
--Ben

Mike Holmes

Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Kesher

I hate that I have to go grade more fucking papers on the use of fucking irony in HuckleFuckingBerry Finn instead of reading more posts on this surprising and delightful forum.

It's even worse that I assigned the fucking papers in the first place...

...that's what I'll do!  Give all the leetle fuckers A's so I can come back here and read some more!

Jasper Polane

I hate the 3E Dungeon Master Guide. It takes the masterpiece of coherent gamist design that is the PHB, and starts adding crap like "the DM is always right", "the DM can't cheat", and "thou shalt not metagame", turning potentially good DMs back into the disfunctional "my word is law" assholes they where in previous editions of the game.
3.5 is even worse.
My game: Cosmic Combat
My art: Polanimation

Lxndr

I hate grass.  It's ugly green organic carpet that needs to be constantly nurtured, while the beautiful plants people call "weeds" that thrive naturally in the same environment are methodically killed.

I hate potatoes.  Vile, disgusting food.  Even potatoes, hash browns, etc.

I hate egg-related products.  Omelets, scrambled eggs, etc.  That these things are the exalted centerpiece of breakfast is one of the main reasons I don't really do anything.

Add me to the anti-mayonnaise craze.  I also hate salad dressings.  All of them.

I respect D&D as a game as it is written on paper (even if I can't really enjoy playing it), but I hate the space D&D takes up in the headspace of gaming as a subculture, and find it probably more fun than I should to make snide comments about it.  (But then, I do that for a lot of things, even things I like).

I like steak tar-tar.  Mmmm good.  In fact, I'm a carnivore in general.

I like quirky, weird, odd, etc. type stuff, to the point that most of the games I want to run or play are games that the current gamers in my life refuse to even try.  (Nobilis, Continuum, Mechanical Dream, etc.)  I dislike how little I've fought for these sorts of games in my group, and how much it disappoints me that I'm not able to experience them.

I dislike mmorpgs in general (friggin lewt, crafting, etc.).  That said, I enjoy the mmorpg City of Heroes, as apart from a few minor niggles, it fixes almost every problem that makes me dislike other mmorpgs.  And I like the design philosophy behind the upcoming mmog Guild Wars (no monthly fee!), though I don't know how well it will work in practice.

I like being pugnacious.

I like the games I design.  Mostly.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Lance D. Allen

I hate Nobilis.

I hate the fact that I, more than anyone else in the group, am the primary obstacle keeping Lx from experiencing games like Nobilis, Mechanical Dream, et al.

I'll admit it; I dislike (rather than hate) really out-there games. The weirder the setting, the weirder the system, the less likely I am to be interested in it. I sometimes boggle that I was able to design ReCoil.

I hate that, having seen the awesome sort of play that a fairly unorthodox and mostly broken game like ReCoil can produce, I cannot seem to open my mind and heart to play some of these other games.

I hate how MMORPGs have abandoned their potential to instead pay homage to the almighty buck.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Frank T

I hate how the German state is stupefied by its own constitutional law to the point where federal legislative is unable to act. I despise the lack of character in each and every one of our politicians, who'd rather leave things in their miserable state and blame others, than take the necessary steps though hurt they may. I hate how our whole political class utterly fails to adress the problem of increasing fascist tendencies in Eastern Germany in an appropriate way. The degree of my frustration with the entirety of German politics cannot be measured in words.

Christopher Weeks

Andrew Cooper

I love the way my wife kicks my ass at Scrabble even though English is her 3rd language and I was a frickin English Major.

I hate the interpretation of Free Speech that mean Freedom From Consequences.  If you've got something to say worth saying just fucking say it and don't whine when people don't agree with you and are willing to disagree loudly.  Disagreement isn't "quashing" your Free Speech.  Neither is ignoring you.  (Feel free to ignore this if you don't agree. :)

I love a good Mayonaise, Tomato and Cheese sandwich.  Grilled.  MmmmMMMM...

I both love and hate the fact that I'm ADD and can't seem to sustain any train of thou...   ooooooh, something shiny!

I love my country (USA) in all its dysfunctional glory and I'm proud of it too.  If that makes me an arrogant American.  So be it.

I love this website where people can disagree in an agreeable manner and discuss the hobby I love.

I hate the University of Florida Gators....  Go Vols!

Lee Short

I hate passive players who demand to be railroaded.  

I hate players who assume I am railroading them and build their own tracks to confine themselves.  

I hate that no one can write Middle Earth games without a license.  The world needs[/b] 10 or 20 Middle Earth games.  That way there will be at least one that's good for the Hobbit, one that's good for LotR, and one that's good for the Silmarillion.  

I hate that the best licensable settings seem to attract the worst in game design.  

I hate 'New and Innovative' settings that use novelty as a substitute for depth and quality.  

I hate the idea that D&D 3+ is good for anything but rules-crunching micromanagers (for which, I admit, it is fabulous).  

I hate the idea that 200 volumes of supplementary material is considered an acceptable alternative to good basic game design.  

Celery is good with scorching hot salsa.

greyorm

I hate beer. All beer. Not just that American swill they call beer. I hate foreign beers, too. It's all swill. The people who can choke that shit down don't have my respect, they my undying awe at their utter and complete lack of taste. I suggest drinking dishwater, as it is both healthier and tastes better. Again, this statement includes all foreign and domestic swill...I mean beer. I hate beer.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Domhnall

OH-- and Peter Jackson!  

There, now much better!
--Daniel

Leningrad

I don't understand 90% of what I read on these forums!

Yeah.

That feels better.

Brand_Robins

Quote from: Christopher WeeksI hate being stupid.

Word.

But I'll see your Stupid and raise you an Unwise.

I hate being both stupid and unwise.
- Brand Robins