News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Games with Conflict Resolution

Started by Yokiboy, May 20, 2005, 04:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yokiboy

All the threads regarding Conflict Resolution offer widely differing views on what it really is, and how it differs from Task Resolution. We all know of tons of games with Task Resolution, but which games offer real Conflict Resolution systems?

Let me start with a quick list based on games I've read/played:

[*]Primetime Adventures
    [*]Trollbabe
    [*]Sorcerer
    [*]Dust Devils
    [*]Dogs in the Vineyard
    [*]The Pool
    [*]Legends of Alyria (looking forward to the official release)
    [*]SOAP
    [*]My Life with Master
    [*]Robots & Rapiers[/list:u]Personally I love how Trollbabe explains its Conflict Resolution system, it is very elegant and quite thorough. Games such as Dogs and Primetime do a good job of following the Trollbabe example.

What other games feature Conflict Resolution? I think Nine Worlds, Capes and Burning Wheel Revised should make the list, any more? What about Memento Mori's games, Fastlane, Donjon, Paladin, TSoY, etc.? I'm after games that explicitly refers to Conflict Resolution (or like Sorcerer, might not use the term, but the text still focuses on resolving conflicts).

In your opinion, which game does the best job of explaining Conflict Resolution, which game should we tell people to read if they question the concept? My vote goes to Trollbabe.

TTFN,

Yoki

Andrew Cooper

You might add FATE to that list.  While the system can support Task Resolution, I think it does Conflict Resolution much better.  In fact, the default combat system is really a CR system.  They include a more traditional TR system in the rules for completeness sake.

PS - I'm looking forward to Legends of Alyria too.  (hint hint Seth)

Andrew Morris

I think that InSpectres does a pretty good job of hitting players over the head with conflict resolution. If you're not used to it, there's that moment after you make your first roll and succeed. You look at the GM, and he's just looking at you, saying, "Well, you won. So how did that happen?"

DitV uses pretty clear conflict resolution, as does Capes.
    Download: Unistat

Andrew Cooper

As does Universalis... can't believe I missed that one.

Valamir

I wouldn't put Robots & Rapiers on that list actually.  The mechanics are very much geared towards Task Resolution.  The definition of what a task is, is pretty open to creative interpretation, but the roll is still designed to determine the degree of success of an action regardless of what the underlying conflict is.

greyorm

Orx should be on that list as well. The only thing a player rolls for is to succeed at achieving some immediate goal (but not an action); they then describe how the results of the roll come about through their action(s) or lack thereof.
    Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
    Wild Hunt Studio

Yokiboy

Quote from: ValamirI wouldn't put Robots & Rapiers on that list actually.  The mechanics are very much geared towards Task Resolution.  The definition of what a task is, is pretty open to creative interpretation, but the roll is still designed to determine the degree of success of an action regardless of what the underlying conflict is.
    I guess I better read R&R again then. I actually just browsed through the alpha the other day, but maybe I had Conflict Resolution on my mind as I read it.

TTFN,

Yoki

Mike Holmes

Interestingly, check out Story Engine for one of the first games to get into this area. It has what's called "Scene Resolution." Which is pretty indistinct other than scope, except that since "Scene" is a dramatic term, I think it ends up as Conflict resolution by accident most of the time.

Also, it's interesting that you're allowed to resolve more than once per scene in certain circumstances. I think, basically, that they're trying to get at conflict resolution, but just don't quite understand the principle yet. We owe this game for breaking this ground, I think. Not that it was first (though I can't say what was). Just because all of us who finally did get to conflict resolution did so following Story Engine's lead, I think.

Mike
    Member of Indie Netgaming
    -Get your indie game fix online.

M. J. Young

Although primarily task-resolution based, Multiverser contains some conflict resolution elements. Most notable is the General Effects Roll, which determines the degree to which events favor or disfavor what the player wants to have happen.

--M. J. Young

Yokiboy

Quote from: Mike HolmesInterestingly, check out Story Engine for one of the first games to get into this area. It has what's called "Scene Resolution." Which is pretty indistinct other than scope, except that since "Scene" is a dramatic term, I think it ends up as Conflict resolution by accident most of the time.
    Thanks for the great tip Mike. I spent some time using the wayback machine to read up on Hubris Games and the Story Engine, and loved what I found. I also joined the Yahoo! group to access some add-ons. Lastly I ordered the game itself. I look forward to reading it.

TTFN,

Yoki

GameLoft

I love Story Engine.  I have used it for many different game settings. I find it works especially well for Samurai stories.

I am going to have to check up on Trollbabe.  I keep wantign to get it but never when I've got the budget for game supplies here does it sprign into my mind.  

Ian
    Please take a moment and look at my program. Like the Forge and its memebers we are pushing the boundaries of gaming. www.thegameloft.org

Valamir

Story Engine is a fantastic source.  I consider it one of the most important games for aspiring game designers to study and learn from.

I do suggest, however, approaching it like a prototype.  The game was pretty far ahead of its time and like many pioneers the authors are left to scramble around for words to describe what it is they're trying to accomplish.  They actually did a better job explaining the concept of Scene Resolution et.al. in the game Maelstrom (which used the Story Engine for its mechanics) than in Story Engine itself (though I didn't find the setting of Maelstrom very interesting).  Story Bones (the Story Engine light rules) are a good reference, but not particularly enlightening.