News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Perceived value of PDF vs. print

Started by Andrew Morris, June 08, 2005, 05:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Morris

Recently, I was excited to hear that Trollbabe might be offered in a print version, because I've wanted to buy it for a while, but the fact that it was only offered as a PDF put me off. Thinking about this, I realized it's because I can't see an electronic version as having the same value as print.

Now, I know that there are good reasons for offering PDFs. Not everyone feels the way I do, obviously. Also, customers in countries where shipping would be expensive may find this a better option. I'm not arguing the value of offering an electronic version of a game.

My question is whether publishers who offer PDF games have found any good strategies for winning over individuals such as myself, who can't get past the gut-level aversion to paying for an intangible product. Any information or theories would be welcome.
Download: Unistat

ethan_greer

I'm of the opinion that there is absolutely nothing a publisher can do to overcome a consumer's gut-lever aversion to PDFs.

I mean, if I'm offering a PDF for sale, and you have a gut-level aversion to buying it, that's it. Game over, you're not going to buy it. Right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. There are drawbacks to PDFs, no question, and some people just don't like them, and that's fine.

To turn the question back to you, what could Ron, the seller of the Trollbabe PDF, have told you that would have convinced you to buy it?

Andrew Morris

Probably the only thing that would get me to buy a PDF would be knowing that I'd be able to get the print version for a reduced amount. It'd have to be pretty close to what the PDF cost, though -- a $1 discount from buying, say, a $10 PDF wouldn't sway me. I'm not sure where the cutoff would be, but I think the discount would have to be at least a 50% of the PDF price. So, taking Trollbabe as an example, if I knew that my PDF purchase would give me a $5-$10 discount on any eventual print versions, I'd probably talk myself into buying the PDF.

Asrogoth

I've often wondered that myself.

I was thinking about a similar approach -- offering a discount on the hard-back version if you buy the pdf.

I was also wondering if it might be a wise decision to offer free or cheap pdfs with the print copy.

In other words, provide some sort of serial number in the print version that allows you to say email the publisher.  Said publisher then sends a response email containing the pdf version to the person providing the serial number (which has been cross-referenced with a database).

If you get people interested in pdfs, then eventually they'll want other copies of your stuff in pdf format.

So, after a while, perhaps you could offer pdf-only supplements -- and since the buyers of print versions have seen your pdfs, they'll be more inclined to buy your new ones.

Just some thoughts.
"We know what we know because someone told us it was so."

Mike Holmes

Hmm.

How about you buy Trollbabe, and I send you a bunch of paper with stuff printed on it. An equal amount of paper to the amount that you'd get with the book.

I really don't understand the aversion to PDFs. Do you have the same problem with music? That is, are you unwilling to pay for a MP3 unless it comes on a CD?

So what you're saying is that it's not the art that you want, it's really just the medium? You're actually after the paper?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Andrew Morris

Quote from: Mike HolmesDo you have the same problem with music? That is, are you unwilling to pay for a MP3 unless it comes on a CD?
Yup, absolutely. I have yet to buy any mp3s. I'd rather pay more for the CD, and have a real, physical thing instead of just information on my computer.

Quote from: Mike HolmesSo what you're saying is that it's not the art that you want, it's really just the medium? You're actually after the paper?
Of course not. It's the union of the art and medium that create the sense of value I'm referring to. And I stress that word -- sense of value. I know it's perfectly logical to say that you're buying the idea, not the paper, but that kind of perfectly logical argument has absolutely no effect on an emotional/instictive response, and misses the point of what I'm talking about.

This isn't a "sell me on PDFs" thread, it's an attempt to find out under what conditions folks like myself will be convinced to pay for PDF games.

PlotDevice

Well, the only thing I can suggest is "Offer something everyone will want but don't offer it in print."

If you want it enough, you will overcome your aversion and give the PDF a chance.

Meh. This is an evolution of acceptance of a technology, and it will happen at its own pace, and does not need publishers to try to make it happen.

For me, I am in Australia. The total lack of contacts in the US distribution network means that I have no choice but to only make use of the electronic medium to sell my stuff. As it turns out, RPGnow are doing POD so I gave that a burl. 1 sale POD, 30 electronic. There is also the reverse fact that now there are heaps of people that will not pay the extra for the print version of things anymore. Go figure. :)

Warm regards,
Evan
Evangelos (Evan) Paliatseas

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Ninjas, for they are subtle and quick to radioactively decapitate."

Eero Tuovinen

I'm actually pretty aversive of PDFs myself. After thinking about it a while, though, I realized that I'm not, anymore. Buying a couple of them pretty much cured me of the aversion. So I consider it as a case of just not being accustomed to doing something like that. I still don't buy many, but it's more about not buying much stuff overall.

So what I'd be interested in is to get another PDF averse person to buy and play a couple of PDFs, and then see if it still persists. It might be that this aversion is more about hesitance to try something new than about actual PDF-specific aversion. It's interesting psychologically, because if it's just general fear of new things, then there's nothing to be done in terms of improving PDFs - that'll just make them a slightly different kind of new thing, and won't affect the aversion. On the other hand, if there's somebody out there who's still aversive after trying it for real, perhaps that person can tell us what he disliked. Perhaps the same thing is the source for initial aversion as well.

How's that for a zero hypothesis and a test case?

As for the conditions of buying... for me they're exactly the same as conditions for buying other stuff, really. The stimulus just needs to be stronger. Like, I first buy all other Ron Edwards products I can, and then only buy Trollbabe when there's a prospect of getting to play it with RL babes. So the stimulus is the same that'd get me to buy other stuff, but stronger.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Trevis Martin

Wow, dude, tough one.

Aside from either 1.) Giving you a financial incentive based on forthcoming product or 2.) Giving away a pdf with a print copy so you can get your feet wet with that format in the hopes that you'll realize its a good method of delivery.  I don't know what else a publisher could do.  I mean from what you say you intellectually realize that a pdf isn't any different, content wise, from the book, but in your case instinctual dislike of pdf prevents you.  What more can be done?

There are only two reasons to buy anything.  It makes you feel good, or it solves a problem.  If the pdf can't offer you either one then what's the point?

I could expound on merits of pdf as a support (strictly speaking a book isn't a medium, it's a support, the medium is the words.)  These are the ways they solve problems for me.

The ease of printing sections as necessary for all your players (such as character generation, Luke Crane has begun to sell pdf's of the lifepath chapters of Burning Wheel's character burner.),

The ability to copy and paste sections of the rules as necessary for players, etc.

The low physical storage space necessary for quite a library of games.  (I'm already a bibliophile so I got books a plenty.)

Most PDF's I've encountered are below the asking price of the print version, for someone with a budget it's a great consideration, stretching that gaming doller.

Anyhow, sorry I can't help out more, but I get the feeling there isn't much more can be done.  I'm not sure how a computer hard drive is any less physical than a book or a CD.  Sure, a HD can fail, but a book can be torn, burned, soaked, lost, and CD's can be scratched and broken.

I do understand that you (and me too) get a deep sense of satisfaction from a printed book.  They're still easier to read, though screens are getting better.

(aside)
I'd be interested to see that test case solution too, Eero.

best

Trevis

Andrew Morris

Let me make it clear that I'm not looking for ways to convice people (or myself) that PDFs are good. I'm looking for practical ways to entice people to go the PDF route. Down the line, when I have a product for sale, I'd like to know what will spark sales of all sorts. I plan to offer print and PDF versions, but exactly how I do so is still up in the air.

Evan: Sure, if you want something enough, you'll buy it. But what makes someone who doesn't value PDFs as much as a printed version want the PDF enough to shell out the money for it? Your suggestion of "offer something everyone will want but don't offer it in print" sounds good, but it doesn't work in practice -- at least not in my personal experience. For example, as I mentioned at the start of this thread, I really want Trollbabe, and it's only offered (currently) as a PDF. So, I'm not buying it, which is what made me think about this topic in the first place.

Euro: I have bought games that came with a free PDF (Capes and Dogs in the Vineyard). Yes, they have advantages over print. Still, I'm not going to buy PDF games based on my experiences. So you've got at least one case study right there. As to why I wouldn't buy a PDF-only game...well, I don't know, which is what I find so frustrating. My best theory was the "perceived value" concept.

New Thoughts
As I tossed this topic around in my head, I realized that I'm not averse to buying PDFs, just PDF games. For example, if one of my courses required a text and it came in a print version and a (less expensive) PDF version, I'd snap up the PDF version in a second. As to why, I think it's because I see college texts as purely functional, so cost is my primary consideration. Game texts I see as a luxury item, so quality is more important. This ties back in to my original idea -- I believe, rightly or wrongly, that a physical book has more value than an electronic one.

But still, there's an element of functionality, as well. A book is easy enough to toss in your car and bring to a friend's house, but if you have a PDF, you either need to print it out or drag along a laptop. These add inconvenience and/or expense.

Upon further reflection, I realized another scenario where I'd buy a PDF -- if it was specifically formatted for a PDA. Since my Palm controls my life, it's always on me, and I can carry it around in my pocket. It'd be easy enough to use at the gaming table, and you'd still be able to seach and keep most of the other advantages of a PDF.

PlotDevice

Re: answer to my point: fair enough. Guess you don't want the Tollbabe enough.

So the answer is "what would make you want the item enough to overcome your aversion to pdfs to get it." You might as well ask "what marketing strategy will make you want something like this more?"

Anything targeted to increase interest in the product is key. but if you want a specific strategy to crow-bar a sale from someone with reticence to the concept of pdfs, try:

1) offering discount on print. Mentioned elsewhere and done almost universally by everyone.
2) Give away freebie PDFs in the same line that show how neat and useful the concept is.
3) Offer discounts to other items only available to people that buy the pdf (vouchers) and let everyone know they need to buy the pdf to get the discounts on the other (print?) stuff
4) Offer to send the pdf to the client on CD. (hard copy transition)

Hope some of that helps...

Evan
Evangelos (Evan) Paliatseas

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Ninjas, for they are subtle and quick to radioactively decapitate."

Trevis Martin

I think the PDA bit is a great idea! That is the one point where PDF is lacking (short of actually printing it out and putting it in a folder, which is what I do most of the time.)

I suggest that there is a big enough part of the market that will buy PDFs that I don't think you need to convince or entice people who are fundamentally averse to buying them.  I think the best suggestion I've seen so far in this thread.  for making the PDF more sellable is the one you made above about formatting for PDA devices.  It would even be more slick if you could package a custom die rolling program with it that works on PDA platform or a character generation app.  Also making sure the entire text is properly hyperlinked.  I mean, make it something really useable in its electronic form.  In other words, maybe delivering a more comprehensive electronic tabletop gaming product would be a strong incentive to those who would ordinarily avoid PDF.  (Of course maybe we are talking about a completely different product, other than PDF, at this point.)

best,

Trevis

Andrew Morris

Quote from: PlotDeviceRe: answer to my point: fair enough. Guess you don't want the Tollbabe enough.
Uhm...well, yes, I agree. But I want Trollbabe as much as it's possible for me to want an RPG. There's a natural limit to how much "want" you can inspire with a product. There's no game (nor will there ever be) that I would want enough to, say, pay a month's salary for. An extreme example, but I hope it illustrates my point. A better example might be having to go to another country to get the game. That'd stop me right there. You can only increase the desire for your product so much, then you have to start removing barriers to its purchase (in the examples, lowering the price or offering overseas shipping). The perceived value of the PDF versus print is, I think, one of the main barriers. As to how to go about removing it, I'm not sure, that's what this thread is for.

As to your examples -- it's not that I actively dislike PDF games or think they don't have advantages, it's simply that I'm unwilling to pay for them. So sending me freebies from the same line, or the PDF on a CD would make absolutely no difference. Your exampes 1 and 3 sound potentially useful, though.

So, here are the ideas discussed so far that would convince me, an irrational customer who's unwilling to buy PDF games, to go the PDF route:

1) Discount on the print version. This has the most merit, I think, but then, it's really just a transition to a print version through the PDF. It's not changing my opinions (which might or might not matter), just making a sale. If a publisher's profit margin on the print version is higher, or the discount offered is less than the price of the PDF, this makes sense, and has advantages for both parties.

2) PDA formatted electronic version. This is what is most likely to get me to buy an electronic (whether it's a PDF or sometihng else at this point) version of an RPG. As a customer, I see this as different enough from the print version that it makes sense that I'd have to pay for this separately (while I tend to see PDFs as things that should be included with the print version). Now, my PalmPilot can read PDFs in their native format, but the files are often too large for older (or very full) devices. So, I'd lean more toward a straight text, with graphics being removed except for necessary graphs/charts/etc. (which should still be as small as possible).

3) Using PDFs as a "key" to purchase otherwise unavailable items. This might work, but I'd already need to want that other item. So, let's say Game A has a print version, which I've purchased. I love Game A, and I want to purchase Expansion Z in print, which is only available to those who've purchased Expansion Y in PDF form. That might do it, but it seems to have limited utility, as well as not being as likely to work as the other methods.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on how to make paying for PDFs more palatable for consumers like myself?

Mike Holmes

This seems so specific to you as a consumer, Andrew. Your assumption is that you are in some vast majority that means that you have to market to yourself in order to make sure it gets to everyone.

Well, ignore for a moment that there are people like myself who are more likely to buy a PDF than a print copy of the book. I'll admit that I am in a minority there, likely (though not for long, I sense). PDA formatting? I mean, yay, go for it. But how many people actually have PDAs? I don't. And I'm a computer geek.

This would be a marginal increase in sales at best. Heck, I don't even own a laptop. What do I do with PDAs? Well, I print just the few pages I need for reference. If an RPG needs a full book that needs to be constantly referenced, then I don't want to play that RPG. Nobody wants to play that RPG. If you can't print out the essential references on just a few pages, then the game has worse problems than PDF format sales will produce.

In any case, I do want a laptop. Because how much heavier is that than a book? If the game is D&D, the laptop will be lighter than the books. And oh so much easier to reference. I do, in fact, usually email the PDF to the place where I'm going to play (yeah, very techically illegal, but we erase the copy so...). Just in case I absolutely do have to reference something. Never had to use it so far, however.

As for reading... I don't want to get too off on a tangent, but I've never understood this one. What makes a book easier to read than a screen? The whole CRT eyestrain thing has been discredited (believe me, I have my eyes glued to a CRT for as many as 14 hours a day). I absolutely hate books. No matter how I read them, either my arms get tired holding the book up, or fall asleep in other positions. I literally can't find a comfortable position to read a book in. Reading on a computer screen is the only time in my life that I've been comfortable reading. I don't have to turn pages (risking dropping the book and losing my place), just click in the scroll bar or on a hyperlink. Ah, hyperlinks (I actually prefer HTML to PDF as it reads better on screen). If there's a reference, a good PDF will allow me to get there just by clicking instead of flipping pages and losing my place. I can click "back" to get back to where I was.

And best, if I can't remember where something is, I have the Find function. I mean, how many hours of my life has this saved? So, is reading a book easier somehow? I remain completely unconvinced.

I completely understand that you're talking about your own emotional position regarding this. But as others have pointed out, if you can't be convinced of the advantages of PDF, then the only things that can be done to make a PDF more attractive is other marketing (which would make it attractive otherwise and has nothing to do with the format).

But I'd consider that you are actually in the minority. Oh, yes, there are people who prefer books. But prefer them to the point of never buying a PDF no matter how much they want the product? I think that's pretty rare. You're not the only one I've seen say this, but most PDF haters say, "Well, I don't like having to buy it this way, but I'll do it if it's the only way." And what do they use as an emotional rationalizer? The fact that the PDF costs less.

Nobody charges the same price for a book and a PDF. It would be non-sensical to do so, because the producer doesn't pay for the paper. So neither should you as the buyer. The point being that you're actually solely paying the price of the ideas when you pay for a PDF. Most people understand this.

So, again, you're creating only a marginal increase in sales here by catering to people with your own peccadilloes about the format. Note that when we put out Universalis, I would have personally prefered to have PDF only as a consumer. But as a producer, I realized that there were advantages to the print format in terms of sales and such. So we went with that. I ignored my own personal preference in the name of sales.

So, ask yourself, is this really a problem that needs to be solved? Or just Andrew wishing that things were different?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Andrew Morris

Well, yes, of course this is specific to me, Mike, it's about my own preferences. I recognize I'm a minority. And no, I'm not trying to change the market or create a distribution system that caters to my own tastes. I'm simply pointing to myself as an interesting example of strong consumer preferences as they relate to PDF games. I've worked to identify the root of my aversion in order to see if that brings about any broader considerations about games in electronic formats.

So, no, there's no problem to be solved. No agenda here either, other than, "Hey, I find my own emotions  on this topic unusual and noteworthy, let's discuss it, and see if that takes us anywhere interesting." That's all I'm looking for, and I'd be just as interested in doing the same for someone who'd never buy the print version.

As to your point about PDA-formatted electronic game texts being a minority, I'd agree. But in previous threads, publishers have noted that PDF and print sales combined create higher sales than either one by itself. Wouldn't it be likely, or at least worth discussing, that offering an even wider range of options or formats would also increase sales?