News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Backwards superpowers

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, March 23, 2002, 07:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

Kenway's thread on backwards signs gave me an idea for a similar way to handle superheroes.

Randomly generate some weaknesses (defined in game terms), then the player assigns a superpower to each of them (or creates a superpower that combines them all).
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Matt Gwinn

Hey Jared,
I saw the headline for this thread and I thought what a cool premise it would be to have a supers game where the characters were slowly losing their powers.  Imagine being superman and one day losing you heat vision, then a few days later losing the ability to fly.  Could be interesting.

,Matt G.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Kenway

Jared:  I'm not entirely sure how I inspired your superpowers system, but am glad anyway you got something out of my post.

Matt:  For more on this, try to find a copy of Orson Scott Card's "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy."  Most libraries should have one.  There's an incredible section about hypothetical costs of magic:  in particular, where Mages can cast spells only once or otherwise lose their powers permanently as the story (ie. rpg campaign) progresses.