News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

FindPlay - a new tool to find other gamers in your area

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, October 15, 2005, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meguey

Hey, Clinton, is there/could there be a way to see who's around in other areas, so if people are visiting, they cound hook into a local scene?

rafial

Quoteis there/could there be a way to see who's around in other areas

Is.  Look at the top of the find players page.  See that text box with your address in it?  Type something else.

I've been using it to poke around already :)

M. J. Young

O.K., I'm not sure why it did this, but this is the story.

I registered, and it logged me in; but knowing that I won't remember the password and there's no way I would find it again if I wrote it somewhere, I figured I'd get the browser to remember the password for me. So I logged out, and then went to log back in again. I get the login screen, type my e-mail address and password as requested, hit login, and I get--the login screen. Round and round I go, get back to the entry page, but I'm not logged in, it doesn't recognize my log-in, and that's pretty much all she wrote.

Win98, NS7.2

Maybe it won't let me log in because I mentioned OAD&D as one of the games I play....

--M. J. Young

Karl

Karl

NoMethodError in Player#register

:(

oops, Firefox on Win XP

beingfrank

Sadly it does not cope with Australian (or New Zealand, for that matter) locations.  This is because Google Maps doesn't cover those countries, not because of anything Clinton did.  If you enter a location it can't handle, the no method error occurs (it may also occur for other things, but I know it occurs for that).

I don't know where else Google Maps doesn't cover, but they won't work either.

Ben Lehman

Quote from: beingfrank on October 21, 2005, 04:29:23 AM
Sadly it does not cope with Australian (or New Zealand, for that matter) locations.  This is because Google Maps doesn't cover those countries, not because of anything Clinton did.  If you enter a location it can't handle, the no method error occurs (it may also occur for other things, but I know it occurs for that).

I don't know where else Google Maps doesn't cover, but they won't work either.

It also doesn't handle Mongolia, which is odd, because it handles China and Russia both fine.

yrs--
--Ben

foucalt

Clinton, you have done a wonderful thing.

Long-term wishlist:

• More profile Fields: aliases, homepage, IM, etc.
  • More entries for Games Played, Favorite Games, Want to Play
  • Incorporate a googlemap showing your area with markers for the people on your list; mouseover for player name
  • Then enable a Search by Game feature that lets you refine the map to only people who have a specific game listed, with color-coded markers for whether they have it listed as a recent play, favorite play, or want to play

Then you can rule the world! (cue maniacal laughter)
David Younce

dave dot younce at gmail dot com

Matt Machell

Clinton,

Nice App, elegantly done. Good use of AJAX for the existing games list, it can be a bit unwieldy if the list is long though (say I type "The").

Also, if I try and jump straight into a subpage (from my history), but my session has expired, I get a debug page.

-Matt

jrs

Quote from: M. J. Young on October 20, 2005, 11:40:27 PM
I get the login screen, type my e-mail address and password as requested, hit login, and I get--the login screen. Round and round I go, get back to the entry page, but I'm not logged in, it doesn't recognize my log-in, and that's pretty much all she wrote.

M.J.,

The login screen circle happened to me as well (without the password memorization bit).  Make sure your browser is not blocking cookies.  My preferences are set-up so that I'm prompted to accept cookies (otherwise they are blocked).  For some odd reason, FindPlay does not trigger the cookie inquiry.  When I went in and forced the site as an exception, the problem disappeared and I could login.

Julie

Christopher Weeks

Way cool.  I'd also like to be able to find the nearest x people who have listed game y in their profiles.

Kirk Mitchell

I'm not surprised in the least that they don't cover the ass end of the world. Is there any way of circumventing this flaw? I'd really love to know if there is anybody anywhere near here.

Thanks,
Kirk
Teddy Bears Are Cool: My art and design place on the internet tubes.

Kin: A Game About Family

Samael

Can't sign up.  I get "Timeout:: Error in Player#Register".  WinXP w/ IE6 and Firefox 1.07.  I get this error on two separate computers.
"Life is much too important to be taken seriously." -- Oscar Wilde

M. J. Young

Thanks, Julie. Indeed, adding findplay.anvilwerks.com to the list approved to allow cookies solved the problem immediately.

I wonder why it doesn't trigger the notification box? I've never had that happen before, that I'm aware.

Not surprisingly, there are no role players within 35 miles of me other than me.

--M. J. Young

Nev the Deranged

Cool. Guess I started that Frappr for no reason, heh. Nice work, Clinton.