News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

FindPlay - a new tool to find other gamers in your area

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, October 15, 2005, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsolamew

Quote from: Samael on October 27, 2005, 04:12:43 PM
Can't sign up.  I get "Timeout:: Error in Player#Register".  WinXP w/ IE6 and Firefox 1.07.  I get this error on two separate computers.

Ditto on all counts. Is there a solution for this, or at least an explanation?
I've got the cookie-exception thing set as well.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Parsolamew on November 14, 2005, 10:38:16 AM
Quote from: Samael on October 27, 2005, 04:12:43 PM
Can't sign up.  I get "Timeout:: Error in Player#Register".  WinXP w/ IE6 and Firefox 1.07.  I get this error on two separate computers.

Ditto on all counts. Is there a solution for this, or at least an explanation?
I've got the cookie-exception thing set as well.

Some of the websites this relies on are not up. I need to go in and re-code it to rely on something else for geocoding.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

DP

Musing: Might it perhaps be enough for now to remove "geocoding" from the registration process, to allow successful registration and logins? That way, the site can develop a "culture of use" among the registrants. The additional location-finding functionality could (presumably) be added later. 
Dave Panchyk
Mandrake Games

Parsolamew

Quote from: Dave Panchyk on November 18, 2005, 12:14:18 PM
Musing: Might it perhaps be enough for now to remove "geocoding" from the registration process, to allow successful registration and logins? That way, the site can develop a "culture of use" among the registrants. The additional location-finding functionality could (presumably) be added later. 

Hear, Hear. 

I know I'd appreciate being able to log on and look around, whether or not my address is mappable.

Roland.of.Gilead

QuoteNoMethodError in Player#register

WARNING:  You have a nil object when you probably didn't expect it!  Odds are you
want an instance of Array instead.

Look in the callstack to see where you're working with an object that could be nil.
Investigate your methods and make sure the object is what you expect!

/lib/freegeo.rb:16:in `lookup'
/app/models/player.rb:63:in `edit'
/app/controllers/player_controller.rb:27:in `register'

This has happened 5 times. What am I doing wrong?
Marcus Lake -Fighting the forces of banality since 1980.

Clinton R. Nixon

So, hey, I finally fixed FindPlay. It should kick ass for you now, hopefully. Happy Thanksgiving!
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Darren Hill

Is there anyway to delete a profile?
I created a second when I thought the first attempt had failed.

Darren Hill

Also, it still needs more elegant error-handling.

Try entering "Newcastle, UK" - since there is more than one Newcastle, it crashes.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Darren Hill on November 22, 2005, 10:39:15 PM
Also, it still needs more elegant error-handling.

Try entering "Newcastle, UK" - since there is more than one Newcastle, it crashes.

You're right, and it's in serious, serious beta, and hrm.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Parsolamew

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on November 22, 2005, 10:30:33 PM
So, hey, I finally fixed FindPlay. It should kick ass for you now, hopefully. Happy Thanksgiving!

It works!

Except that putting "San Francisco, CA" throws an exception the first time I try it.  Second time worked like a charm, might have been a server hiccup.

okiran

Findplay works again!  However, people don't seem to know as the last time someone logged on, besides me, was about 50 days ago.  I hope they come back . . .