News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

FindPlay - a new tool to find other gamers in your area

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, October 15, 2005, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foucalt

I love it, thanks!

Quick question/suggestions:
Am I supposed to be seeing a googlemap of me and the other players' locations? because I'm not seeing it, just a list of names w/ profile info (but no location)
It would also be cool if you had a profile field called "Forge ID" so you could get a little sense of who people are and how they play by looking at their Forge posts
David Younce

dave dot younce at gmail dot com

Jason L Blair

Hm. I'm getting an error: http 500 Internal Server Error. IE 6, WinXP 2.

Is this still working for other people? (This is my first attempt to access it.)

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

DP

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on October 17, 2005, 07:21:12 AM
Quote from: beingfrank on October 17, 2005, 06:53:19 AM
Does it cope with antipodean addresses?  'Cause I can see that it might not, and that would be a pity.

I'm so baffled. Does it deal with people on the exact opposite side of the planet as you? I suppose it would. If Google Maps can deal with it, FindPlay can.

I believe the poster was referring to Australia.
Dave Panchyk
Mandrake Games

foucalt

I'm currently getting:
Application error
Rails application failed to start properly

in Firefox on WinXP
David Younce

Judd

DevP

Clinton, do you have the source code kept in some directory that's not run off Rails? I was thinking I'd try hosting it on my Dreamhost or TextDrive accounts to see if I'd have more success that way. (Running Rails apps can be a mite tricky.)

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Dev on October 18, 2005, 02:09:36 PM
Clinton, do you have the source code kept in some directory that's not run off Rails? I was thinking I'd try hosting it on my Dreamhost or TextDrive accounts to see if I'd have more success that way. (Running Rails apps can be a mite tricky.)

It's at http://findplay.anvilwerks.com/findplay-0_1.tar.gz, which you should be able to get to without a problem.

It seems like when more than one person at a time accesses it, it craps out. And it's not like I don't know what I'm doing: it's running on Lighttpd with FastCGI, and is awesome until it breaks.

Anyway, give it a try. I've had nothing but slow crapfests running Rails apps on Dreamhost. Textdrive might work, though. (I'm hosting this with Planet Argon, run by the guy writing the Rails book for O'Reilly.)

And let's take this discussion to e-mail. Hit me up at crnixon@anvilwerks.com.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Andrew Morris

It worked just fine for me, other than having only one person in my area. Did you announce this only on the Forge, or on other gaming sites online?
Download: Unistat

Meguey

This is really cool. Thanks for doing this, Clinton!

Darren Hill

It doesn't look like there's any way to get a replacement password if you have forgotten yours. (Could I have been so silly? I'm not saying.)

Meguey

foucalt

David Younce

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Darren Hill on October 18, 2005, 07:54:38 PM
It doesn't look like there's any way to get a replacement password if you have forgotten yours. (Could I have been so silly? I'm not saying.)

Darren,

I'll add that. It's a silly oversight, and will take no time to do. I should have it up tomorrow sometime.

Meg,

Have you been told today how awesome you are? 'Cause, you know, you are.

Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Robert Bohl

I'm in now.  And I know about half the people on it, and one of them is in my weekly group.  But I guess I could snag more players for a second-a-week group if I ever get that ambitious.

Thanks for the tool, Clinton.
Game:
Misspent Youth: Ocean's 11 + Avatar: The Last Airbender + Snow Crash
Shows:
Oo! Let's Make a Game!: Joshua A.C. Newman and I make a transhumanist RPG

thelostgm

Jeff
The Engineer of Kryos
www.sonsofkryos.com