News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forge Midwest gathering, March 2006

Started by Matt Snyder, December 05, 2005, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Snyder

The Big Senkowski (that'd be Keith) and I have been working on the initial details for a Forge Midwest weekend gathering.

Here's the initial plan thus far: We're looking at hotels with suites and/or meeting rooms available in northern Chicago area. Right now, the date will be either Friday, March 17 thru Sunday, March 19 or Friday, March 24 thru Sunday, March 26. Pencil this on your calendars -- the first weekend (March 17-19) is likeliest.

Now, I'm going to get on the phone over the next week or two with the hotels. I'm looking to find one with either large suites we can use for play areas, or a place with available meeting rooms (or both). Oh, and before I get ahead of myself .. this is a casual gathering to play indie RPGs for a weekend at a hotel (or other venue, possibly). HOWEVER, we are investigating whether people will volunteer to help pay for conference/meeting rooms at the hotel, and how much such rooms would cost. I'm thinking something like everyone chips in $20 to help pay for the conference rooms, for example.

This is gathering going to happen! Who's in? Anyone reading this is, of course invited. If you're anywhere near the Midwest, take a roadtrip weekend and get together for some awesome gaming and socialization.

I want to hear concerns about hotel rates, deal-breakers, and the like. I also want ideas for what / how we schedule events (and less fun logistics stuff) for the weekend. I'm certainly not requiring a set-in-stone convention-style schedule, but let's do try to agree on some organizational basics, like blocks of 4 hours to play or something similar.

Also, if you have any hotel nominations, let's hear 'em! Keith's working on that as well, as he's my man on the ground in Chi-Town. (Ron's darned close, too.)

More details to come, but I'll try to keep it all in this thread. If you are in, contact me by email: matt (at) chimera (dot) info or PM here at the Forge. Please don't reply in this thread unless you have something addtional / constructive to say about planning the gathering!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Valamir

I've been tossing around an idea like this for awhile now...but unlike you haven't made the next step of committing to getting it done...congrats for that.

Ideas I was musing about that you might find of interest:

1) Scheduled blocks of play time are a must.  Otherwise we all know the "whadda you wanna do"..."I dunno" routine will waste way too much time.  I don't think it needs to be game x at time y, but I think there need to be identified blocks and I think all attendees should be required to "run/host" at least 1 game at some point during the weekend.  I think there should be a sign up sheet "3 players needed for Polaris at 1:00" in advance of the block and then people just figure out what they want to do and hook up.  If some people wing their own sessions, so much the better but some structure is pretty essential.

2) I'd make sure food plans are quasi arranged, even if its just knowing where the nearby food sources are in advance and obtaining menus of who in the area delivers to the hotel (the hotel concierge should have that info).

3) I'd like to see blocks of non-gaming social time as well.  Chicago is a cool city.  Spending a 4 hour block seeing the sites or an evening at a comedy club would be a nice way of socializing.

Matt Snyder

So much for the "casual" gathering! We've got East Coasters chiming in for this. I'm blown away by the number of people who've posted or email about attending, and I'm guessing it's not even representative of HALF the interest. Crazy!

As I suspected, it's impossible to please everyone, all of the time. For some, dates don't work. Some want it close to Chicago. Some want it far. Some want a nice hotel, some want cheaper rates. Good grief!

Right now, I'm looking at hotels in Schaumburg, Ill. or Rosemont, Ill. Both are west of Chicago proper, and both are near O'Hare airport (Rosemont is right next door to the airport). Rosemont is also attractive because it's near the blue line for the L (the train). (Can any Chicagoans comment on whether Schaumburg is easily accessible via public transport?)

March 17-19 is the only date that seems to work at all in March. Many people have said they won't be able to attend unless the event is in April.

The possible dates are now

>April 7-9<
March 17-19
April 14-16 (see above paragraph!)
April 22-24

There remains one absolutely important issue: We need to have an estimate of how many people will attend, how many rooms we'll rent, and how many people we'll need for the meeting space for the game times.

So, I'm giving you all a week for feedback (this thread or via email or PM).

• If I don't hear strong say so either way (strong = many, many comments), the date will be April 7-9.
  • If I don't' hear strong say so either way, the event will be at a 3-star hotel with rates anywhere from $80-$100 per night, plus (guessing!) $200-$400 for the meeting room per day.
  • If I dont hear strong say so, the even will be in Rosemont (first priority) or Schuamburg (second priority).

I hope to get a group discount, which comes with various possible discounts. Could be discounted room rates, could be free or discounted meeting room, etc.

MOST IMPORTANT! I need a rough headcount! Booking the hotel will be almost impossible to do without at least a rough estimation of how many people might attend. Right now, I'm looking at wild guesses from 12 people to 50 people! You can see that variation isn't helpful when talking to hotels. THEREFORE, RSVP TO ME BY DEC. 15, at which time I'll start booking the hotel. Send me a Private Message or an email: matt (at) chimera.info with the subject line: Midwest gathering.

If you can plan on a group for a room, then let me know that too. That way, I can have an even better idea how many rooms we'll need to block off.

(This doesn't mean you can't come later on; you absolutely CAN come and are not required to decide this week. But, it may mean you won't have a room at the even hotel or a group discount rate later on.)

To recap, you need to tell me:

• Whether you can come
  • Who and/or how many in a room with you
  • What date you feel strongly about
  • What location (these or others) you feel strongly about

Remember, think hard about whether you can work around the guidlines above before saying "No way, I want it downtown Chicago!" or "Let's do it in May!" It is practically impossible to make everyone happy, and I've made some deliberate choices to accomodate as many people as possible with my options outlined above. Please try to make some choices and appreciate what others will have to do to attend -- like drive 6-8 hours!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

ivan23

Schaumburg is pretty easily accessible by bus and car, not the L. The Metra (regular trains) do go there - schedule is at http://metrarail.com/Sched/md_w/md_w.shtml - but only run every 1 or 2 hours, Saturday and Sunday. The presence of Woodfield Mall means plenty of restaurants and such are in the area.

I can't speak much to Rosemont, as I've spent much less time there; but it is also home to the Rosemont Horizon (AKA Allstate Arena) so you may run into traffic issues depending on if any concert tours are going on. So far there's nothing on those dates on their official calendars, but that's hardly a ringing yea or nay.

Keith Senkowski

Matt,

You can pick up the PACE buses at the Rosemont stop of the Blue Line.  Those buses will get you to Schaumburg.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Matt Snyder

Thanks, guys! Schaumburg is sounding more and more attractive, actually. Possibly less traffic, and likely better food options. Keep the helpful info and suggestions coming, folks.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Luke

Hi Matt,

Before we make decisions about dates and attendance and stuff, can we decide on a format and events?

I recommend a party on Friday night.
Open gaming on Saturday morning
A seminar/round table on Saturday afternoon
Then scheduled games on saturday night

how's that sound?

Keith Senkowski

Quote from: Matt Snyder on December 09, 2005, 07:57:13 PM
Thanks, guys! Schaumburg is sounding more and more attractive, actually. Possibly less traffic, and likely better food options. Keep the helpful info and suggestions coming, folks.
Less traffic?  On a weekend?  HAHAHAHAHAHA....

I'm sorry.  The Woodfield area always has traffic, but don't let that be a deterent.  It does have easier access to more resteraunts and shit and is a short cab ride from the airport...

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Matt Snyder

Quote from: abzu on December 09, 2005, 08:05:09 PM

I recommend a party on Friday night.
Open gaming on Saturday morning
A seminar/round table on Saturday afternoon
Then scheduled games on saturday night

how's that sound?

Not only does it sound good, it's almost exactly what I had planned. (I planned on more scheduled gaming in morning, but "open" games is cool). Done and DONE! (There are talks for a specific round table / seminar, but I'm still just talking at this point. I'll post when I can.)

It leaves open options for Sunday morning or even afternoon, say, but I'm not sure we'll have time to do more than enjoy breakfast with pals and such. Consider that Open gaming, and you're likely on your own, folks. Probably WON'T have a meeting room available Sunday unless there are howls of protest (and wads of cash).

(Keith: Yeah, I shoulda known bettah' about da traffic.)
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Valamir

QuoteIt leaves open options for Sunday morning or even afternoon, say, but I'm not sure we'll have time to do more than enjoy breakfast with pals and such. Consider that Open gaming, and you're likely on your own, folks. Probably WON'T have a meeting room available Sunday unless there are howls of protest (and wads of cash).

April 15-17 is Saturday through Monday.  Was that intentional (and we mentally adjust the schedule accordingly) or did you really mean 14-16.  Either way it looks like I'll have to do my taxes early...:-)

Matt Snyder

Crud! Yes, Ralph, that SHOULD be:

April 14-16.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Luke

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

I'll have to ask my fiance (who will be my wife by that point) if I'll be able to attend.  What would make it easier for me to convince her is if we set aside some specific time to playtest games under development.  Either the Sat morning or the Sat evening session I would like to see everyone who has a play-testable set of rules for a game they are working on run a session or two.  This way, we get can all give real-time face-to-face feedback on all the games coming down the pipeline.  I imagine that'll be a major boon for anyone planning to show up at GenCon this year.  I live in Kentucky, so it's not that far of a jaunt for me, but if specific time is set aside just for playtesting, then it would be easier for me to make a decision to come :)

Peace,

-Troy

timfire

I'm busy March 17-19. I have a wedding to attend in Vegas (that's right---a Vegas Wedding). But I REALLY want to be apart of this. Either the next weekend or the one of the other dates would be fine.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

timfire

Wait---you do realize April 14-16 is Easter Weekend, right?
--Timothy Walters Kleinert