News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How exactly does one get a copy of Universalis?

Started by foucalt, December 29, 2005, 11:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foucalt

Bear with me here. I'm looking for a copy. Willing to pay a reasonable amount for it. It just doesn't actually seem to be possible. Here's what I've tried:

Key20 Direct: It isn't there. I looked by publisher, scrolled through all RPGs, and tried following the direct link from the game's site. I left a message on their voice mail, maybe this will result in a call back.
There are a few retailers listed on the site, I tried all of them in the US:
Pandemonium Books, MA - are out of it, don't know when or if they'll have more
Oddysey Games, NY - are out of it, theorize that they could convince Key20 to send them a copy
Last Castle Games - the number listed on site is disconnected
Games Plus, IL - Out of it, didn't seem to know if/when there would be more in stock
Source Comics & Games - Out of stock

Is there some sort of secret codeword I'm supposed to mention in these conversations? Has some shady cabal of d20-protectionists been buying up all the copies to keep them from distribution?
David Younce

dave dot younce at gmail dot com

komradebob

QuoteHas some shady cabal of d20-protectionists been buying up all the copies to keep them from distribution?

Yes. I understand Ralph is going to use the profits to buy a tropical island and build a secret base there (hehehehe).
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys

Andrew Morris

Okay, according to the Universalis website, as of mid-May, Key20 had all remaining stock. So if it's not on Key20, I'm guessing it is out of stock, and you'll just have to wait for the next printing. Ralph can chime in if I'm wrong or if he has any further information.

You could try ordering it here or here, but I don't have much confidence that it's in stock, since neither site lists the current inventory.
Download: Unistat

foucalt

Update: Jason from Key20 says it's inbetween printings and they out of it until the new printing comes in, probably within a couple of months. After calling all the game stores listed on the site, I decided at last to try my FLGS, which I figured had about a 1% chance of having it. Well - the gods have smiled upon me, and I'm picking up their very last copy tomorrow! Guess what I'll be doing New Years Eve! 
David Younce

dave dot younce at gmail dot com

Tony Irwin

Yay! A happy ending! Remember to tell us all how your first game goes.

Tony

Valamir

Yup, Key20 is sold out.

The next printing is currently being edited before being sent to layout.

Given that the bulk of the last sales have been to distributors there should be quite a number of copies floating around with retailers.  It also regularly shows up on online retailer's ebay stores.

xternal

Supposedly rpgmall.com still has copies.   One is in the mail to me.

SirWesley

I am having difficulties finding a copy anywhere.  In fact, I thought I found a copy, but after I purchased it the site sat for two weeks, stating, "waiting for product"...  Harrumph!

Will the new edition be out soon?  Please?!

Anxiously awaiting,
Wes.

Valamir

Heh, thanks for being so eager.

The revised edition is currently in layout.  When that's finished and the final draft is approved it goes to print and from there to Key20.com

I don't have an exact timeline for that that but within the next 2-3 months is a nice safe estimate.

Ralph

SirWesley

"I hate waiting."
Mandy Patinkin,
Princess Bride.

Very well.

Thanks for the quick response.

Aaron Smith

[vader] Nooooooooooooooooooo! [/vader]

Well... FOOEY! I finally got my game group together, and as I hoped and prayed the group fell in love with the system. We've had 3 sessions, and if our recorder continues falling in love with the sessions we're definatly going to have a few actual play threads.

But... Now I've got at least 6 other people interested and there's no game for them to buy! [vader]I find your lack of book... disturbing...[/vader]

And I do hate waiting. So... 3 months huh? I hope there's no other delays. I'm actively worried that the group will become discouraged after having only one book between the 7 of us.

REkz

Uh, why is the Universalis site still wacked when it comes to ordering?

Plz, work WITH me, peoples!

PEACE

REkz

Vaxalon

Is there a PDF? 

Are there files that could be used to MAKE a PDF?

Can this be made available?
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Valamir

Sorry I missed this Fred.

There are no current plans to offer Universalis as a PDF.  That is a possible option for the distant future.

Vaxalon

Having a PDF available means never having to say you're sorry.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker