News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

My Game: Adventures in the second land

Started by Aldoth, January 02, 2006, 04:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aldoth

Im looking at the characters in a posative light. Bastion overcomes those traits to be sucessful as does Helana they get lost but then there beacon and remembering it helps them escape. sometimes with the help of there guide.

Having negative traits the define you instead of your vurtues is problematic and you starts a slippery slope for the characters.

I feel like I should give you a thank you credit Sluagh :)
There is always a point in your life where you realise that all that you will be is what you leave behind.

So leave the best of you that you can.

Mr. Sluagh

Quote from: Aldoth on January 04, 2006, 08:10:21 PM
Im looking at the characters in a posative light. Bastion overcomes those traits to be sucessful as does Helana they get lost but then there beacon and remembering it helps them escape. sometimes with the help of there guide.

It wouldn't be showing them in a negative light.  It would be showing them as people with problems that they work through and eventually triumph over.  I think this is how most characters in these stories are portrayed.

Perhaps characters could begin with a Folly, which starts high, and a Grace, which starts low.  There would be other traits to interact with them and make things interesting.  Over the course of the game, a player would try to lower their character's Folly and raise their Grace.  Might look a litttle like Nicotine Girls, if you're familiar with that. 

Quote from: Aldoth on January 04, 2006, 08:10:21 PMHaving negative traits the define you instead of your vurtues is problematic and you starts a slippery slope for the characters.

I think if you worked at it, you could set it up so it wouldn't.  I'll admit that these ideas are vague at the moment, but with some effort I think it could work.

Just an idea.  You can take it or leave it, but I thought it needed clarifying.

Quote from: Aldoth on January 04, 2006, 08:10:21 PMI feel like I should give you a thank you credit Sluagh :)

Thanks!  I love this genre, and I think you have some great ideas for putting it into an RPG.