News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dreamation 2006

Started by Diabolik, January 22, 2006, 10:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake T. Deakin

Props to tha IGE. I burned my Living D&D character sheet -- masochism can only go so far, especially when better gaming is two floors down. Looking forward to the next Con with an IGE presence. :)
Dessert is a dish best served cold.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Ha ha ha! Welcome to the Forge, Blake! It was great playing with you.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Helvetian

As always, we loved having you all join us at Dreamation.  It's incredibly satisfying to hear that you had a good time there, and we're looking forward to having everyone join us again for DEXCON in July.  :)  I'll give that one its own thread, once we here are all sufficiently recovered from this one.

Feedback is welcome, of course.  There is always room for improvement, after all.  For example, we'll use a larger function room for the party in July (I do hope you'll have one!), after seeing how packed Bridgewater was Saturday evening.  We have our own forums now, over at www.dexposure.com, so any suggestions can better reach us as a whole there.

Again, thank you for having such a great presence at Dreamation.  You add something very special to our events.

Becca
Rebecca Badurina
Vice President, Programming
Double Exposure, Inc.
www.dexposure.com

Krista E

This being my first real convention experience (I went to Southern Exposure, but spent the entire day talking to this girl I met there, so didn't game at all save for one session of Capes), I must say I came away very pleased. At first, I was unsure of how I would feel or what I should do (ie: should I cling to the one person I knew at the event or should I ditch that person and go off completely on my own?) but as soon as I got there I realized i had nothing to worry about.

The overall organization of everything made it easy for me to locate all the games I registered to play, and everyone was so wonderful and friendly! Of course, it didn't hurt my excitement when my first game of the night was Andrew's DiTV session with all the GMs - it was great to finally see/meet the people that certain friends of mine kept talking my ear off about. And when, at the end of the four days, Emily Care Boss told me it felt like she's known me forever, I thought I died and went to heaven (Emily, you're awesome).

The games themselves were also phenomenal. I, of course, was one of the lucky people to be a part of Judd's PTA - The Hare and the Hound game, and the rest of the games I played were just slightly under that one in their awesomeness.

I definitely will be attending more conventions in the future and cannot wait to once again see all the fabulous people I met at Dreamation.
"All really great lovers are articulate, and verbal seduction is the surest road to actual seduction." ~Marya Mannes

Bret Gillan

There is nothing quite so nerve-wracking as having Tony grinning across the table at you while you're trying to teach a group of people how to play Capes. It was a great weekend even though the only games I was involved in were the ones I ran (the other ones were all full up).

But the biggest thing I came away from Dreamation with was the fact that all these indie game designers weren't these superhumanly smart gamer-philosophers like I'd imagined them, they were geeks like me. And that's not meant to be insulting, it was actually really inspiring. I'm hoping next year I'll be running a game I've written.

It was a lot of fun, and it was great meeting everyone.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Krista, I wish I'd gotten a chance to really meet you. Your experience at Dreamation was exactly like mine last year: total ambivalence that turned to happiness as soon as I realized that passion and artistry — not to mention the niceness — of the people involved. Welcome to the Forge!

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Bret Gillan on January 25, 2006, 10:21:05 AM
But the biggest thing I came away from Dreamation with was the fact that not all of these indie game designers weren't these superhumanly smart gamer-philosophers like I'd imagined them

Added "not all of" to the above quote.

And it was great to meet folks and play games (for once). Who knows? This RPG thing might be okay after all.

jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Jennifer Rodgers

You guys rock.
Me, Annelisa and Russ had a great time at this con. We made some new contacts, made some new friends and became better friends with some of you.

Highlights include: Having rare face-to-face business meetings with various book teams, using Luke Crane as an art media and having unexpected, life-giving Pho with Sorensen. Also, it was awesome that our location was an alternate home base for the Indie RPG collective from time to time. Very very cool.

A huge thanks for the fun time to Double Exposure,  Luke, Jared, Brennan, Judd, Clinton, Joshua and many others.
I look forward to being able to do this again. Hopefully soon.
Jennifer Rodgers
http://www.jenniferrodgers.com
I am the IllustraTOR
News blog: http://jenniferrodgers.livejournal.com/

Joshua A.C. Newman

Jenn, it was great seeing you and meeting Annelisa. Your table was a great hangout spot. Too bad about the video games. I understand that was an issue with the IPE a couple of years back, too.

... but where, oh where did you get Pho? I almost killed a man* for his sandwich, so desperate was I for decent food.

* The sandwich turned out not to be worth it.

Blake T. Deakin

Quote from: Jared A. Sorensen on January 25, 2006, 10:29:24 AM

And it was great to meet folks

...who were plotting to kill me for my dice bag.

Seriously, that shit is hot.
Dessert is a dish best served cold.

Diabolik

Just wanted to let you all know that the first tricklings of Dreamation coverage are upon our site. Visit www.perfectscorepodcast.com or www.pscore.net. The television will have the information, but after 20 seconds it will load another "channel" but you can hit the shownotes link for all the Dreamation coverage so far.

The stuff that is up right now is our recap as to what we did at the CON, and the Roundtable audio is up.

Video is going well, just taking time with 8+ hours of footage to cut and edit, but we will have it soon.

DIABOLIK
Eric "Diabolik" Goodhart
Diabolik@pscore.net
Co-Host/News Correspondent/Game Reviewer
Perfect Score Productions
www.perfectscorepodcast.com
www.pscore.net

Emily Care

Krista, welcome home! : ) I'm glad this Con was your introduction to the scene--it's only my second, but it was a sweet, sweet time and a truly fabulous example.  I had so much fun I'm still smouldering from all the good runs I got to be in.  PtA, Capes, Carry, my game and Kat's awesome Everway LARP.  Watching was as good as playing this Con: Face of Angels, With Great Power, Princes in the Kingdom, Shock and the insane masterpiece of Jared running Lacuna.   

So many great folks--seeing you, Krista, and Andrew, meeting Jonathan, Brett, Jenn & Annelisa, rocking the romantic house with Elizabeth, Shawn & Michele, getting to hang with Nathan & get a sneak peek at Carry, getting to know Kat, Michael & Michelle.  And the inimitable Alexander (hi sweetie!).  And all the other fabulous folks I met & got to spend more time with: Clinton (!!), Luke, Tony, Jared, Keith, Lisa and everyone. 

Boyo. Let's do it again, mates. Next year, Vincent & Meg are coming. Let's see about the rest of the crew.

best,
Em
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games