News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Been reading my new pdf, have quesions...

Started by Sindyr, March 11, 2006, 09:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sindyr

Checking:

Any powered ability can be used multiple times per page.  Any "blocked" ability can only be used once per scene.

Is that correct?  I think something above is wrong, but I am not sure which or how.

PS. A powered ability  = a power or a powered style.  A blocked ability = a skill, an attitude, or a non powered style.
-Sindyr

Sindyr

Quote from: TonyLB on March 12, 2006, 12:21:46 AM
Quote from: Sindyr on March 11, 2006, 09:30:06 PM4) Must exemplars be unfulfilling and unhappy?  For example, with a Love Drive of 5, say, I have an Exemplar of Lila Howard.  Can she not be just a happy good part of my character's life, without a downside apart from the normal work any relationship entails?

As per p. 75 "There must be a 'root conflict' in the relationship between the character and her Exemplar.  This is some fundamental way in which they are forever at odds."  Whether that means the relationship is (on the whole) unfulfilling and unhappy is up to you.  But there's got to be adversity there.

Quote from: Sindyr on March 11, 2006, 09:30:06 PM5) If the above answer is negative, why would I want to even take any exemplar's?  How does that help me win conflicts and get story tokens and inspirations?

It gives other players the opportunity to play your Exemplar in order to drive the story directly at the conflicts that you find most interesting and important.  That helps you (and them) to earn more resources.

Could you have a Love Exampler set up as:
Mary Jane and I are totally into each other, BUT sometimes we lose ourselves in each other and lose touch with things we should be attending to,
-or-
Mary Jane and I love each other deeply and have lots of great sex, BUT our inability to keep our hands off of each other leads us to having sex at innapropriate times and places.
-Sindyr

TonyLB

Quote from: Sindyr on March 12, 2006, 08:53:07 PM
Any powered ability can be used multiple times per page.  Any "blocked" ability can only be used once per scene.

Powers abilities may be used once per page (so multiple times per scene).  Non-powered abilities may only be used once per scene.

Otherwise, yeah, if you had a level five power it would be the only one you ever needed.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

TonyLB

Quote from: Sindyr on March 12, 2006, 09:10:00 PM
Could you have a Love Exampler set up as:
Mary Jane and I are totally into each other, BUT sometimes we lose ourselves in each other and lose touch with things we should be attending to,
-or-
Mary Jane and I love each other deeply and have lots of great sex, BUT our inability to keep our hands off of each other leads us to having sex at innapropriate times and places.

Yes, you can have that as a root conflict.  Whatever works for you as a conflict.

TonyLB

Quote from: Zamiel on March 12, 2006, 08:37:14 PM
If it were 3 Abilities, 4 Styles, and 5 Attitudes, I might be more concerned, since that's a character who'll burn out his ability to respond in a Scene fairly quickly (once rolls start hitting 5's), but the ability to grab Debt early in a Scene won't be affected. Using the Powers he has in Reactions will spike that Debt early, and then he can use that Debt to do late splitting he re-rolls with unPowered Traits.

That's the direction I start worrying about, yep!  Of course, you can go much further in that direction:  like someone who has 3 Abilities, 2 unpowered styles, 2 powered styles and 5 attitudes.  That's 10 unpowered abilities and 2 powered ones, which makes the debt-flow very different.

Tuxboy

QuoteCould you have a Love Exampler set up as:
-or-

Am I alone in wanting to create a villian and dangle Mary Jane off a building? *VBEG*
Doug

"Besides the day I can't maim thirty radioactive teenagers is the day I hang up my coat for good!" ...Midnighter

TonyLB

Wow.  Talk about an inappropriate time and place!

Zamiel

Quote from: TonyLB on March 13, 2006, 03:24:53 PM
Wow.  Talk about an inappropriate time and place!

"Excuse me, Mister Goblin, but couldn't you have waited until we were distangled first?"

"How else could I have got you to come along?"

[Alexander introduces "Goal: Goblin begins appearing sexually desirable to Mary Jane." Forget that killing her bit, I want Peter's player to actually throw me some Story Tokens here.]
Blogger, game analyst, autonomous agent architecture engineer.
Capes: This Present Darkness, Dragonstaff

Sindyr

Quote from: Zamiel on March 13, 2006, 03:31:04 PM
[Alexander introduces "Goal: Goblin begins appearing sexually desirable to Mary Jane." Forget that killing her bit, I want Peter's player to actually throw me some Story Tokens here.]

Ummm...  Why would Peter's player care?  As soon as the Goal is accomplished the next narrator can say "MJ wakes up from a very weird dream..."

Goals have no lasting effect apart from house rules that say they do, right? (I am impervious to popcorn)
-Sindyr

Zamiel

Quote from: Sindyr on March 13, 2006, 07:00:23 PM
[Ummm...  Why would Peter's player care?  As soon as the Goal is accomplished the next narrator can say "MJ wakes up from a very weird dream..."

Goals have no lasting effect apart from house rules that say they do, right? (I am impervious to popcorn)

Sure, they could. But having established it in a previous Conflict, the next narrator is likely to just pick it up and run with it, especially if Peter's player cared enough to make their sexual relationship their key Drive issue.

No one can make you care about your characters. Of course, if you don't, then there's no reason for you to be playing the game at all, and you'd be politely invited to go do something useful like give the group pedicures or go pick-up sacks of Krystals while the rest of us actually have fun playing a game.

What you're suggesting is akin to saying, "Sure, I'll play Monopoly, but I don't give a crap how much money I have, its all dumb anyway, because its play money." A very fine way of being disinvited from returning to a game in which I'm playing.

TonyLB

Well, there's Inspirations, right?  Are you counting those into this equation?

Glendower

(I am impervious to popcorn)

If you're impervious to popcorn, then gaming can quickly become lonely.  It's all social contract stuff, and if you break the contract you break the game. 
Hi, my name is Jon.

Tuxboy

Quote[Alexander introduces "Goal: Goblin begins appearing sexually desirable to Mary Jane." Forget that killing her bit, I want Peter's player to actually throw me some Story Tokens here.]

*LOL* Genius!!!

QuoteWhy would Peter's player care?

Because you made it his Exemplar...that's the whole point of that mechanic.

QuoteAs soon as the Goal is accomplished the next narrator can say "MJ wakes up from a very weird dream..."

As Zamiel says the next narrator is likely to just pick it up and run with it, and even if the dream is narrated, there is nothing to stop someone narrating reoccurring dreams as the Conflict: "MJ succumbs to the mind control device" is introduced
Doug

"Besides the day I can't maim thirty radioactive teenagers is the day I hang up my coat for good!" ...Midnighter

Zamiel

Quote from: Tuxboy on March 14, 2006, 06:03:01 AM
As Zamiel says the next narrator is likely to just pick it up and run with it, and even if the dream is narrated, there is nothing to stop someone narrating reoccurring dreams as the Conflict: "MJ succumbs to the mind control device" is introduced

Oh, I don't know ... She's already attracted to a guy that dresses up like a big bug and kisses upside down in the rain. Is finding the Goblin attractive that big a stretch? Maybe she's secretly obsessed with powerful men with violent streaks because of her abusive father ...

(Yes, I spend too much time thinking about such things.)

Tuxboy

QuoteMaybe she's secretly obsessed with powerful men with violent streaks because of her abusive father ...

True...she does have a history of dating unstable and unsuitable men...
Doug