News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

So...any Eurogamers out there?

Started by GreatWolf, April 04, 2006, 04:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yokiboy

Hi Seth,

Count me as a eurogamer too. Unfortunately my collection of games took quite a hit when I moved from the US to Sweden a few years back, but I'm building it up again. My BoardGameGeek.com collection wheighs in at ~110.

Oh, and my sister works in a toy store, and they just started carrying eurogames, so I will be all set!  :)

TTFN,

Yoki

Thor Olavsrud

The New York crew are pretty fond of board/card games. Jungle Speed is, in fact, a French game. We enjoy Settlers and Carcassone of course, but Citadels (another French game) is the other game that really satisfies our deep-seated desire to stab each other in the face. Other games we like to play: San Juan, Princes of Florence, St. Petersburg, Power Grid (a personal favorite), and Hoity Toity.

RoboRally and Samurai Swords gets some play too, but I think they're American and don't count.

Thunder_God

RoboRally is indeed American and the reason for Magic: the Gathering existing at all.

I think it got reprinted last year!
Guy Shalev.

Cranium Rats Central, looking for playtesters for my various games.
CSI Games, my RPG Blog and Project. Last Updated on: January 29th 2010

GreatWolf

Shrug.  Doesn't really matter to me.  I'm not that much of a snob...about this...

Roborally was one of my first boardgame purchases, back in 1995.  My copy has the pewter miniatures.  Some of them are still intact.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

ScottM

Yeah, I'm a huge board gamer.  We play on Wednesdays (and roleplay on Fridays).  Puerto Rico remains one of our favorites.  I tend toward the crunchier end [Power Grid, Tigris & Euphrates], while many of the others tend toward Settlers, Carcassone, and the like.  It's all fun.

We recently picked up Santiago-- a game about farming and bribing the overseer.  It's popular but still in its first flush. I'm interested in seeing how it ages.
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

Frank T

Settlers and Carcassonne are really big in Germany. I like them well enough. Much better than Risk or Monopoly, at least. Ingenious is my favorite at the moment as well. But I'd rather play more Rpgs.

- Frank

GreatWolf

See, the problem that I have is that pulling out a board game is WAY easier than playing an RPG, even those that set up quickly.  There's a different part of the brain that engages, and at the end of a long day, it's harder to engage in improv creativity than pure competition.  A pity, but true.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games

rafial

I definitely sympathize with the boardgame versus RPG equation.  Boardgames definitely seem to deliver way more oomph per energy invested much of the time.  Still, I think I'm trapped in an intermitent reward cycle with RPGs.  I keep coming back to them despite frustration.  Fortunately they've been delivering well of late.

quozl

I haven't played RPGs for a long time, mostly because of my discovery of eurogames.  However, I am thinking about running an RPG for my wife and soon to be 5-year-old daughter but I haven't found an appropriate one yet.
--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

Thunder_God

Quote from: quozl on April 05, 2006, 05:13:45 PM
I haven't played RPGs for a long time, mostly because of my discovery of eurogames.  However, I am thinking about running an RPG for my wife and soon to be 5-year-old daughter but I haven't found an appropriate one yet.

How about Cat by John Wick?
Or Dragon.
Guy Shalev.

Cranium Rats Central, looking for playtesters for my various games.
CSI Games, my RPG Blog and Project. Last Updated on: January 29th 2010

GreatWolf

Quote from: rafial on April 05, 2006, 05:10:40 PM
I definitely sympathize with the boardgame versus RPG equation.  Boardgames definitely seem to deliver way more oomph per energy invested much of the time.  Still, I think I'm trapped in an intermitent reward cycle with RPGs.  I keep coming back to them despite frustration.  Fortunately they've been delivering well of late.

Me, too, actually.  Polaris has been good for me in this regard, as was our last PTA season.  I still love RPGs; they're just harder.  However, when I do them, they are worth it.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games