News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Authorship Rule

Started by Matthew Glover, April 17, 2006, 02:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxboy

QuoteThe house rules we felt compelled to introduce last session will be in force this session:
         *snip*
         c. We are using an authorship rule

What I would like is to hear from Sindyr's other players and find out what led to them "feeling compelled" to introduce an Authorship Rule in the first place? I think that would be most informative...
Doug

"Besides the day I can't maim thirty radioactive teenagers is the day I hang up my coat for good!" ...Midnighter

Sindyr

Quote from: Tuxboy on April 25, 2006, 08:51:27 AM
QuoteThe house rules we felt compelled to introduce last session will be in force this session:
         *snip*
         c. We are using an authorship rule

What I would like is to hear from Sindyr's other players and find out what led to them "feeling compelled" to introduce an Authorship Rule in the first place? I think that would be most informative...

That realization at the table that in Capes, we ultimately have little or no control over what our characters do or say.
We realized that he only ways we could control what our characters do within Capes is to spend a lot of time and energy laying preventative goals and fighting over the goals other's lay down about our characters - and even if we succeed at ALL of that, ultimately nothing prevents any other players from including in whatever narration he is doing something unwanted and unacceptable about our characters.

So rather than fight over authorship within the existing Capes rules - and lose more often than not - a simple veto rule seemed an easy fix.  We still narrate each others actions, but now we do it with respect, knowing that we can be vetoed.

For example: Sindyr: "Lucky Charm grabs Captain Amazing and launches him at The Villain (sotto voce: ...assuming that the Captain doesn't mind? No?  OK, then let's go)"

It seems to be smooth and we had a blast, a really fun time playing Capes.  So this Authorship rule seems to work for us.

Now if I were playing Havok and someone narrates Havok looking like he needs a stiff drink or ten, I would be fine with that too - Havok is there to be abused. ;)

But if someone narrates Lucky Charm looking shaken, I would jump in and say "LC doesn't really get that shaken - his faith that the universe favors him is too strong - but he could look surprised."

This sort of negotiation seems to make our Capes games better, not worse.

I think there are different ways to compete - knock down, drag out, no holds barred at one end, and polite and "civilised" at the other.  We seem to prefer our game close to the latter end of the spectrum.
Your mileage, of course, will vary.
-Sindyr

Tuxboy

As I said:

QuoteWhat I would like is to hear from Sindyr's other players and find out what led to them "feeling compelled" to introduce an Authorship Rule in the first place? I think that would be most informative...

You have already explained why you thought they felt compelled...I'd just like to hear their "justification"...that's all
Doug

"Besides the day I can't maim thirty radioactive teenagers is the day I hang up my coat for good!" ...Midnighter

Sindyr

I am not sure I can offer you a "compulsion" or "justification" that would fit what you are looking for.

All I can do is explain our thinking - and our desire to have authority over our spotlight characters.

Have I succeeded in doing that?
-Sindyr

ubergeek2012

Have you considered just using a Social Contract level "Asshat Rule"?  As in, if someone is using free narration to try and "attack" a character or a character's character, you tell hit to stop being an asshat.  This doesn't seem to be what you've been describing so far though, because is still allows conflicts to be introduced that put pressure on a player/character combo.

Therefore, if the player of Spidey is narrating and says "I walk into the room and see the Punisher (my character) crying in a corner like a little girl", then I say "dude, stop being an asshat.  You want the Punisher to cry, you have to work for it."  Contrast this with laying down a goal: "The Punisher cries like a little girl".  This is a little different, but still a little weak.  Depending on what was going on in game, I'd probably just veto it.  For the win though, how about goal:  "Kingpin beats Punisher so badly he begs for mercy."  Now that is going to earn him some story tokens by giving me something worth fighting for and creating a conflict with stakes that matter, to both me and my character.  And claiming that "there's no way the Punisher would crack" is just wankery.  Prove it.  Put your debt where your mouth is and make that true.

Now that's capes, as I see it anyway.
Working on: Heartless Void - A Sorcerer Mini-Supplement (Started Here)

TonyLB

Quote from: Sindyr on April 25, 2006, 01:26:07 PM
I am not sure I can offer you a "compulsion" or "justification" that would fit what you are looking for.

He's not asking you to.  In fact, I think he's specifically asking people other than you about their experience at the game.  Y'know, diversity of opinion, different viewpoints, that sorta stuff.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Sindyr

Quote"Kingpin beats Punisher so badly he begs for mercy."

Personally, I would want the right to veto that goal, if *I* was playing Punisher.

I would rather see: "Kingpin beats Punisher badly" or "Kingpin beats Punisher so badly a lesser man would beg for mercy." or even "Kingpin beats Punisher so badly he considers begging for mercy."

On the other hand, a humourous interpretation of that goal is Kingpin's beating of the Punisher is done so badly that the *Kingpin* begs for mercy"

"Just give me another crack at it, Punisher, I am sure I can get it right this time...."

Or is the Kingpin's attack so lame that the Punisher begs for mercy - "please, Kingpin, don't embarasses yourself again like that - I'll do anything, I just can't take watching you humiliate yourself so...."

(grin).
-Sindyr

Sindyr

Quote from: TonyLB on April 25, 2006, 02:54:59 PM
Quote from: Sindyr on April 25, 2006, 01:26:07 PM

He's not asking you to.  In fact, I think he's specifically asking people other than you about their experience at the game.  Y'know, diversity of opinion, different viewpoints, that sorta stuff.

As far as I know the other players haven't joined us here yet.  Until they do, you will have to ask me what you wish to know about their experiences, and I will either tell you if I know the answer, or ask them and get back to you if I don't.
-Sindyr

Sydney Freedberg

Quote from: Sindyr on April 25, 2006, 02:59:10 PM

Personally, I would want the right to veto that goal, if *I* was playing Punisher.

Wow.

I can see where you're coming from, it's just a place I left a long damn time ago. What you're saying sounds like, "I do not want my character to change in any way unless I approve it" -- which sounds great until you realize that as long as you're in total control of what can happen, you can never take any real risks.

Sindyr

Quote from: Sydney Freedberg on April 25, 2006, 04:00:16 PM
Quote from: Sindyr on April 25, 2006, 02:59:10 PM

Wow.

I can see where you're coming from, it's just a place I left a long damn time ago. What you're saying sounds like, "I do not want my character to change in any way unless I approve it" -- which sounds great until you realize that as long as you're in total control of what can happen, you can never take any real risks.

Well, I still have the risk of failure, and the risk of loss, and many more.  Just because my character can't be "worn" by any other player does not mean his life will be roses. Far from it - he can have as much anxiety and risk as the next guy - just that it's all external.

So I am happy with facing only external threats, and I am happy that you enjoy your games facing both. To each their own.

After all, in the end, it's all about reaping the most fun and joy out of a recreational experience, isn't it?

Well, at least that's my goal for using Capes.
-Sindyr

ubergeek2012

Quote from: Sindyr on April 25, 2006, 04:07:48 PM
Well, I still have the risk of failure, and the risk of loss, and many more.  Just because my character can't be "worn" by any other player does not mean his life will be roses. Far from it - he can have as much anxiety and risk as the next guy - just that it's all external.

So I am happy with facing only external threats, and I am happy that you enjoy your games facing both. To each their own.

After all, in the end, it's all about reaping the most fun and joy out of a recreational experience, isn't it?

Well, at least that's my goal for using Capes.

Just to be sure, would you consider the Kingpin vs Punisher goal to be internal or external if you were playing the Punisher?

Sindyr

"Kingpin beats Punisher so badly he begs for mercy." I would consider internal - because whether Punisher begs for mercy should (when using the authorship rule) be up to me.  What happens to my character is not up to me alone, but how my character reacts to what happens is up to me alone.

Barring a mind control device, of course.

Would would be external would be:
"Kingpin beats Punisher DOWN, defeating him easily"

*That* would be a goal I could not veto with the Authorship rule and one I would probably still fight to win.
-Sindyr

ubergeek2012

Eh.  Who can beat up who gets old quick, and doesn't by itself carry any real consequences in Capes.  But if you can make the Punisher beg for mercy, that's something.  Something worth fighting for, and against.

The way I see it, if your conflicts don't really mean anything then you're wasting your time with them.

Vaxalon

Ubergeek, nothing carries ANY consequences in Capes.  Capes isn't about consequences, it isn't about the past or the future, it's about what's happening RIGHT NOW.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

ubergeek2012

Yeah, I guess that was a bad choice of words.  I just meant that who can beat up who isn't as important as what the two characters would be fighting over.  Or something.  I haven't slept enough lately.  :)