News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Burning Empires] Inspiration on Crack

Started by eruditus, September 05, 2006, 01:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eruditus

Okay so I am on page 352 and chugging away.

My god this game is cool!  It is almost overwhelming the sheer amount of possibilities that I think of when playing this game.  It is definately going to be a BE Winter.

First up will be a western game BE style.  We're burning a low index world to keep the galactic politics out of the equation and so we can better focus on the game at hand - Infection!

That being said I want to point out a few little details that I particularly admired...
1)  I love the "I Corner Him and Stab Him in the Face" rules.  It feels right in this game.  Normally I would have said "well, damn it's already a deadly system.  Isn't this going to let a lot of air out of a campaign?  However, let me say I can already see that a lot is going on here.  I think the players will find this brutal combat very satisfying especially after experiencing the Firefight rules and Duel of Wits.  I really like the perspective where this big sci-fi epic makes some dirty knife fight about the drama.  It's more personal, somehow.  We'll see once I play it out, no doubt.

2)  I was really taken back (awed in a good way) on how much of the game revolves around circles and social interaction.  It's quite a shift for many games, I believe, to have a game that focuses on who you know.  A overwhelming number of traits give reputations and affiliations.  It really makes the players think more about bringing in other parties and involving groups in your conflicts.  I mean the meat of this game is about saving the world, right?

3)  The first ugly combo I spy is a Mukhadish Brute (Born Wild, Manhunter x2, Brute x2).  It starts with 6 points for mental stats and 26 points in physical stats - 5/5/8/8! and the Brute trait which says that you ignore die penalties on mental stats for the purpose of incapacitation.  WOW.  Now, sure I saw this on trolls and such but still, now you need five die penalties to knock this monster down?  When my PCs see a Muhkadish I have no doubt they will run or kill it from the distance.  LOL  may I remind my kind audience of the "low index" world we're starting with?  teehee.
Don Corcoran, Game Whore
Current projects include The Burning Wheel, Artesia and Mortal Coil
"All Hail The Wheel!"

N.riweeni

I have a huge feeling that this game will either be really good, or really bad. It wont be one of those in between games in my opinion. Personally, I hope it ends up being really good. I wanna play a pirate :p