News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Forge Midwest 2008] Offical Organization Thread

Started by Matt Snyder, January 18, 2008, 03:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Snyder

Thanks to Willow, we are off to the races for Forge Midwest, 2008. She did all the legwork for reservation. I'm just the yes man. Please thank her when you see her in April!

This thread is official. We're going to Madison, Wisconsin this year. It's a very cool town, and I'm looking forward to it!

WHEN:
Friday, April 11 through Sunday, April 13

WHERE:
Best Western East Towne Suites
4801 Annamark Drive
Madison, Wisconsin 53704
(608) 244-2020

WHO:
Anyone reading this who loves indie RPGS!

HOW MUCH:
Like previous years, that remains to be seen. Basically, we all split cost of renting the rooms. Fortunately, this year, they're relatively inexpensive! I'm thinking something around $20 or less. But, that is NOT a guarantee, folks. It just depends on final costs and number of attendees.

WHAT ELSE:
This year, we will likely set aside some time for publishers to sell their games to fellow hobbyists. Deal with it, and enjoy getting some direct contact with people.

RSVP!
So, to get a best guess, we'll do another eVite just like last year. Please try to RSVP before April 1. Remember, getting a good head count will determine costs for everyone.

Please reply to the evite and indicate how many people are coming along with you.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Willow

To book your room at the hotel, call that number, and let them know you're with the Forge Midwest group.  I've got a special rate set aside.  The basic rooms are two double beds, non-smoking.  If you need a different room type, it shouldn't be a problem, and it should be the same rate- if you have trouble getting the room type you want, contact me.

Blankshield

If'n I were to come down again this year, where would I be flying into?

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Willow

Madison is served by the Dane County Regional Airport.  When you arrive, if you take Madison Taxi (blue and silver cab) to the hotel, the hotel pays for your cab fare (to and from airport only, and that company only.)

Adam Riemenschneider

Anyone interested in carpooling from the Twin Cities (MN) to Madison? I'm planning on driving anyway, but figure splitting gas and conversation might be worthwhile.

Also, anyone easy going enough to want to split a room?

Thanks,

-adam
Creator and Publisher of Other Court Games.
www.othercourt.com
http://othercourt.livejournal.com/
http://www.myspace.com/othercourt

Matt-M-McElroy

I live less than a mile from the hotel, let me know if you need any help with set-up or anything else...

Regards,

Matt
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
www.flamesrising.com

jswatson

I'm thinking of coming so how do I regester? and by the way I play and run Harnmaster RPG so how ldo I get slot?

Matt Snyder

Hello, jwatson. What's your name? Mine's Matt. We'd be happy to have you there. Hi!

In previous years, this is much more of a gathering of pals than it is an official "con." The main way to register is to just click the link I made in the original post. It's a eVite. It's a free RSVP thing that I use to get an idea how many people are coming.

We all just split the costs of the meeting rooms, and I take no profit for event. We have used everyone's money to buy refreshments in the past, however.

As for scheduling an event, we will set up a Google calendar in coming weeks. Basically, it offers people the option to have scheduled events. But, no one is required to participate in scheduled events. Open play is encouraged.

Holy smokes! So far, Madison is turning out to be a great option! Lots of Forge Midwest pals are local (like, REALLY local, McElroy!), Twin Cities folks are coming over. This is going to be great fun!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Sir John

Just want to say hi to everyone and to let you all know we exist.  My name is Sir John D. Minderman and i am the president of the Rising Phoenix Gaming Club down in Milwaukee WI.  Our web address is www.willworkfordice.com. come check it out.  I am hopeing that a few of our members get a chance to check out your con.  Also i hope some of your members can make it to ours also.  The name of it is Rising Phoenix Con.  If any one has questions please feel free to give me a holler at johnm@willworkfordice.com.

nitramwi

As a local gamer in the Madison area, is there any room for anything other than Indy games?

Regardless, looking forward to possible coming on out and gaming with ya all!

-Len

Ron Edwards

Hi Len,

Matt is the authority for the gathering, but as I understand it, there are no restrictions on games played.

A lot of the questions in the thread are reasonable, but they also illustrate that people are over-estimating the nature of Forge Midwest and to some extent the Forge. Guys: all we do is rent out some conference space in a hotel so that anyone can come and play a bunch of whatever games they'd like, and that's pretty much it. If you wanted to bring Pictionary, you could, and if some people wanted to play it with you, why then, you would.

Best, Ron

Clinton R. Nixon

Ok, I'm in!

Here's the deal, though: I'm flying on super-cheap SkyBus Airlines, which only flies to Chicago - or more accurately, Gary, IN. I know there's people traveling from that direction: would any of them like to carpool with me - or, more accurately, give me a ride in exchange for gas money?

- Clinton
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

greyorm

Quote from: Adam Riemenschneider on January 19, 2008, 10:58:26 PM
Anyone interested in carpooling from the Twin Cities (MN) to Madison? I'm planning on driving anyway, but figure splitting gas and conversation might be worthwhile.

Also, anyone easy going enough to want to split a room?

Adam,

I'm from up north of the Cities, but if it proves more cost effective for me, I'd certainly carpool from the Cities to Madison rather than drive there on my own. Also, if you aren't on it already, you might want to ask on the Indie-MN list on Yahoo, as several of the members have attended previous years. If there are enough of us, we could all share a ride and/or a room and significantly reduce our costs.

I also suggest contacting the group as I unfortunately can't guarantee anything on my part (my They-actually-pay-me-money-for-this?! job includes the unfortunate side-effect of my never really being able to make plans more than two weeks in advance, and even then things can go south with one phone call...).
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hey Clinton,

Have you looked into the South Shore Amtrack? I believe you can catch a Van Galder bus to madison from there, if not I think it's not a terribly long walk to the union station train station where I know you can catch the Van Galder. Not as easy as getting a ride....
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.