News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Forge Midwest 2008] Offical Organization Thread

Started by Matt Snyder, January 18, 2008, 03:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Okay, this'll be my first Forge thingy. Is there an event sign-up, or pretty much pick-up games? Who do I pay and when? w00t!
A.k.a., Mark Delsing

Matt Snyder

We largely do pick-up games. Here's how it generally works:

I designate some timeslots, usually in 3 or 4 hour chunks. Outside of that, it's largely pick-up and pals just planning stuff on the fly, like "Hey, Clinton! Let's play TSoY at first Saturday timeslot!" Or whatever else.

Now, the first  year, I hollered a lot over the din to say "Next timeslot starts now! Play on if you want, but think about what others are doing."

Last year, I mostly just let it ride. I actually prefer the first year's approach, as I think it got slightly too messy.

ALSO! Last year, Clyde organized a calendar with specific games planned for specific slots. I have no problem with this at all. That said, it's up to someone like Clyde to organize it. It's "official" in that I say "Yep, that's totally fine!"

But the "official" line really is: I'll post some time slots and ask people to try to follow them so people can jump into another time slot after their current game. There is no requirement to do so.

What actually ends up happening is that some games run over several hours because people are having fun and some games wrap up nicely on time because people involved in a current game REALLY want to get in on a certain other game at Noon (or whatever). In other words, people police themselves well overall because they are motivated and enthused to play in various games. That's how I want it.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Nev the Deranged

Hey, Buzz. Is it safe to assume you are EnWorld Buzz? Or are you an all new, all different Buzz? Either way, Welcome ^_^

Anyway, from my experience with indie gaming at cons large and small (EnWorld notwithstanding, as it's small and short enough to be tightly structured), I suggest bringing a strong willingness to play whatever appears in front of you. I've not had great fortunes in going with a desire to play Games X, Y and Z, unless they are whatever the New Hotness is. When I've just kept an open mind and said Yes to whatever came my way, I've had much better luck. Even when games have been "scheduled", they have fallen through more often than not. Maybe my experience is not typical, I don't know. But Forge Midwest is a great place to see what people are working on and rub shoulders with all manner of cool people, and maybe get in on some playtesting of stuff that will be the New Hotness next year.

buzz

Quote from: Nev the Deranged on February 09, 2008, 02:04:08 AM
Hey, Buzz. Is it safe to assume you are EnWorld Buzz? Or are you an all new, all different Buzz? Either way, Welcome ^_^
No, Dave, it's the same ol' Buzz. :)

Advice noted. Honestly, I'm happy to come and play anything of the story-ilk, as well as meet people I've interacted with online.
A.k.a., Mark Delsing

Nev the Deranged

Awww, crapmonkeys.

I just realized Forge Midwest is the same weekend as CoDCon. That is most heinous, since I was planning to run a bunch of stuff there.

Although, honestly, with FMW being way more expensive and inconvenient for me this year... it might be a tough choice.

Willow

If you haven't reserved your hotel room yet, please do so soon.  The more rooms we book, the cheaper the meeting room space is.

jrs

Willow,

Is there a deadline, other than "soon", for having a hotel room reservation count towards the cost of the meeting space?

Julie

buzz

Quote from: Willow on February 13, 2008, 06:34:16 PM
If you haven't reserved your hotel room yet, please do so soon.  The more rooms we book, the cheaper the meeting room space is.

Reservation... made!
A.k.a., Mark Delsing

reaction

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on February 07, 2008, 11:18:32 AM
Ok, I'm in!

Here's the deal, though: I'm flying on super-cheap SkyBus Airlines, which only flies to Chicago - or more accurately, Gary, IN. I know there's people traveling from that direction: would any of them like to carpool with me - or, more accurately, give me a ride in exchange for gas money?

- Clinton

At first I thought this was going to be an opportunity for us to take a ferry across Lake Michigan, but it looks like none of the ferries run until sometime in May. So *if* we are able to go, we'll be driving near there. Actually, the Google Maps estimate added like 6 minutes to make a stop to Gary, IN on the way. Not sure whether or not we'll be able to make it, I'll talk it over with my better half later tonight.

Iskander

Quote from: Willow on January 18, 2008, 10:55:19 PM
Madison is served by the Dane County Regional Airport.  When you arrive, if you take Madison Taxi (blue and silver cab) to the hotel, the hotel pays for your cab fare (to and from airport only, and that company only.)

a.k.a. MSN or Truax Field if you want to use something like kayak to look for cheaper flights.
Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.
The calmed lie down with ease,
having set winning & losing aside.

- Samyutta Nikaya III, 14

Jason L Blair

Just a quick note to say I'm looking forward to this year's con. Some of you may have heard that I missed last year's due to a fire at my office building. I hoping to not repeat that experience this year. ;)

As far as coordination, I can help folks find places to eat and shop, if they're interested. There are plenty of restaurants around and inside the East Towne complex. I live spittin' distance away from the place and am there three times a week, at least.

Also, if there are any video game fanatics in the crowd (outside of myself), there are no less than four great spots to find video games in the area. (But we can talk about that there.)

See you in April.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

TJ

Hey Jason,

I was soliciting restaurant advice from fellow Madisonian gamers on Grumbling Dwarf, if you want to add your thoughts or make use of what's been said there.

williamhessian

Wow, very cool.

I am from the Twin Cities and might be trying to commute to Madison as well, hopefully with my girlfriend. I currently am just trying to make sure I can afford the trip. I have relatives there, that I think i can stay with which will save costs. I would love to have a prototype of my card game to play with people if they were interested. see game here: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=25791.0

I am really scrambling to see if this is something I can attend, because I would love to be there. Thanks to all who are setting this up.

Adam Riemenschneider

Creator and Publisher of Other Court Games.
www.othercourt.com
http://othercourt.livejournal.com/
http://www.myspace.com/othercourt

Nev the Deranged

So, I've decided that despite the various obstacles, I just can't bring myself to miss Forge Midwest. I will be carpooling in with a friend. However, even together, we can't afford a room on our own. So, I'm wondering if there's anybody who plans to go that is interested in splitting the cost of a room by... well, two more than whatever you have now.

Neither of us snore, and I take showers in the evenings rather than mornings, so that's one less in line for the bathroom in the AM.

nevthederanged@aol.com if you want to email me about it.

Thanks!