News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The bare bones of a new magic system

Started by Ace, June 28, 2002, 10:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

contracycle

Quote from: Mike Holmes
Yes, the obvious thing to do is to say that physics do not work the same way. However, there are potential problems with this. Being a snakey player, if you tell me that relativity does not work in your universe, I can explain why I won't fall off that cliff, as gravity will not work now.

You will STILL fall off the cliff, becuase the Gnomes are pulling you down, silly :)
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Lyrax

They aren't gnomes, contracycle.  Nor is it acceptable to call them "Little people."  Vertically challenged, on the other hand, is still considered proper.  The preferred term of these creatures remains, of course, Lord Masters of the Universe and Enforcers of the Laws of Physics.

Interestingly enough, this last term makes them seem similar to the "Game Master" or, as it is sometimes called, "Dungeon Master," or "Seneschal."  This creature is believed to be the master of the universe and determiner of fate.

Either way, the laws of physics seem to be arbitrated, when foolish mortals utilize the unknowable and unthinkable powers of magic, by such higher beings (the "Seneschal" being the "boss," and, in this case, the vertically challenged magic men being his "helpers.")
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Lance D. Allen

...Lance, you're a putz.

Just thought I'd let you know that...

To be more verbose about it though, I think Lance and Contracycle bring up a good point. Who says Physics even have to exist in a world where magic is real? We fall because it is the nature of earth to pull us downward, and we drown because the water spirits slowly (or rapidly, at times) leach our lifeforce away. We age naturally because Nature has decided that this shall be the way our lives are measured, and we age magically because this is the cost decreed for the use of magic. Who says there has to be an explanation at all?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Mike Holmes

Quote from: WolfenWho says there has to be an explanation at all?
Um, I think it's in the rules. Not to say you can't do it your way. But as I said, just make sure that the players are down widat before you go that way.

Mike

P.S. everyone knows that the gnomes have been on strike for the last three millenia. The Powers brought in quark brownies as scabs to replace them. Hence the intense litigation between gnome and brownie legal representation, and the temporary outages of forces like gravity due to brownie mischief.

"That defies the law of gravity!"

"Well, I never did study law."
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Lyrax

A putz?  Well, I never...  Okay, so maybe once or twice, but certainly not more than that!
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Silanthous

Definately a Putz, no doupt about it. Sorry Lance, but it's the truth.

P.S. This was a very intresting discussion to read. but i can safely say that it isn't hard to get the vagaries up to 3 in all with the current system. My sorcerer strated with these priorities,

A: Stats
B: Race
C: Vagaries
D: Gifts/Flaws
E: Skills
F: Status

Now with that starting package, i have not only amassed myself wealth Very easily, but i have conquer 3, movement 2, growth 2, sculpture 2, glamour 1, vision 2, summoning 1,banishing 1, imprisoning 1. i still have 9 Spiritual attributes waiting to be spent, as well as a 13 sorcery pool. My character is assembeling one of the finest libraries for magical reserch in Weyrth(however it's spelled) And has manages to do this in the same ammount of time that the other players have basically managed to stick thumbs up their asses and fight a few times. The starting abilities of the sorcerer aren't very important. couse it all changes once you sit at that table. Btw we have only played about 3-4 sessions i believe. to give you a time frame.
Silanthous Silverbreeze, AKA Robert Zoccoli. Archmage of high Order.