News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Backwards stakes

Started by higgins, April 23, 2010, 04:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

higgins

I was just thinking... If all depends on narration, what stops the players with low Screen Presence from abusing their small hands to set backwards stakes. "Will I be defeated in this duel? Oh, I have only one card. It's black. I'm not defeated at all!" "Will I fail in winning a large sum of many on lottery? No, I succeed!" etc

My own group wouldn't do this, but it could be a problem in convention one-shots. Any ideas?

jburneko

The book clearly states that Stakes are about character goals.  What does the *character* want out of the conflict, not the player.

Those Stakes simply break the rules of the game.

Jesse

Eero Tuovinen

Is it even the player who establishes the Stakes? I seem to remember that it's the Producer, with the player's stated character intent as his input.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

higgins

Quote from: jburneko on April 23, 2010, 04:53:05 PM
The book clearly states that Stakes are about character goals.  What does the *character* want out of the conflict, not the player.

Great rebuttal! I was automatically thinking in TROS terms where the SAs handle what the *player* wants. A very important distinction. Thanks!

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on April 23, 2010, 05:10:32 PM
Is it even the player who establishes the Stakes? I seem to remember that it's the Producer, with the player's stated character intent as his input.

It's the player as far as I get it. Producer frames the scenes with the player's input, but stakes are by players themselves. Bottom box on p. 28 backs this up too.