Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 07:38:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 74 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Backwards stakes  (Read 715 times)
higgins

« on: April 23, 2010, 12:49:26 PM »

I was just thinking... If all depends on narration, what stops the players with low Screen Presence from abusing their small hands to set backwards stakes. "Will I be defeated in this duel? Oh, I have only one card. It's black. I'm not defeated at all!" "Will I fail in winning a large sum of many on lottery? No, I succeed!" etc

My own group wouldn't do this, but it could be a problem in convention one-shots. Any ideas?
jburneko

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »

The book clearly states that Stakes are about character goals.  What does the *character* want out of the conflict, not the player.

Those Stakes simply break the rules of the game.

Jesse
Eero Tuovinen
Acts of Evil Playtesters

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:10:32 PM »

Is it even the player who establishes the Stakes? I seem to remember that it's the Producer, with the player's stated character intent as his input.

Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.
higgins

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:15:04 AM »

The book clearly states that Stakes are about character goals.  What does the *character* want out of the conflict, not the player.

Great rebuttal! I was automatically thinking in TROS terms where the SAs handle what the *player* wants. A very important distinction. Thanks!

Is it even the player who establishes the Stakes? I seem to remember that it's the Producer, with the player's stated character intent as his input.

It's the player as far as I get it. Producer frames the scenes with the player's input, but stakes are by players themselves. Bottom box on p. 28 backs this up too.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: