News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What Indie RPGs came out in 2002?

Started by Andy Kitkowski, January 30, 2003, 05:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Hey all, I again apologize for another Indie RPG Awards thread.  Every time I sit here for like 5 minutes poring over the forum descriptions, and none of them seem appropriate enough for this sort of chat so I end up "dumping" these questions here.

Anyway, I'm looking for some help.  The indie awards site, www.rpg-awards.com is about 4 days from going live, after which the long, drawn-out process of registration, voting, etc goes down.

I'm trying to stay ahead of the ball by coming up with a list of all the RPGs that came out this last year, 2002 (Jan 1st-Dec 31st). This way, the process of contacting the designers and informing them of the awards will go along much smoother.

If you know of (or think you know of) any Indie RPGs (for Sale OR Free) or game supplements that came out in 2002, please reply to this thread and also list who designed it, if you know.

ALSO, I am looking for the name of anyone who has designed/published an Indie RPG since January 1998 (five years ago), and games they've published. Please keep the two categories seperate.  I'll be contacting these folks to ask them to participate in voting on the RPG awards.

Oh, BTW, in case you were wondering, here's the pre-final list of sub-awards that will accompany the Indie RPG award:

The Indie Award: GAME OF THE YEAR for 2002

Recognition Awards:
Best Indie RPG Supplement
Best Free Game
Best Use of the d20 License
Best Design (Layout, Art, Use of PDF)
Best Support (Free Materials, Website)
Best Synergy of Game and Rules
Indie RPG Human of the Year

OK, so here's my list of games and supplements that I'm pretty sure came out in 2002.  Please add to it (note, if I didn't list you it's not a dis, I'm just working on a bunch of projects and am just writing a "start us off" list):

INDIE GAMES from 2002
Donjon by Clinton Nixon
Dread by Rafael Chandler
Paladin by Clinton Nixon
octaNe by Jared Sorensen
Riddle of Steel by Driftwood (Jake Norwood?)
Cartoon Action Hour by Cynthia Celeste Miller
Heartquest by Michael Hopcroft
Universalis by Valamir (hunting for real name now :)

SUPPLEMENTS from 2002
Sorcerer and Sword by Ron Edwards
The Sorcerer's Soul by Ron
All of those nifty Sorcerer Mini-Settings

INDIE Designers/RPGS since 1998
All the folks who released in 2002 (above)
Ron Edwards (Sorcerer)
S. John Ross (Pokethulhu)
Jason Blair (Little Fears)

I'll leave it there for now.  Please help add to my three lists above.
Thanks! Your help means more time I can spend working on the site.

-Andy

EDIT: I'm a polite chap, the kinf that often takes the time to thank people in the post for their comments. If I do that with every post, though, it will really inflate this thread.  Also, if I make mistakes (which I just did, ala Little Fears), I'll redit this post to correct them).
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Jason L Blair

Little Fears came out in 2001, so alas it is ineligible.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Valamir

Universalis was released GenCon 2002

Jared A. Sorensen

jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

M. J. Young

Quote from: Andy KitkowskiI am looking for the name of anyone who has designed/published an Indie RPG since January 1998 (five years ago), and games they've published. Please keep the two categories seperate.  I'll be contacting these folks to ask them to participate in voting on the RPG awards.
I always seem to be just over the line on the wrong side. Multiverser: Referee's Rules and Multiverser: The First Book of Worlds were published in December 1997. They were reprinted, with corrections, in 2000, and Multiverser: The Second Book of Worlds was added in 2001.

There's a beta version of Alyria floating around; it's not officially published, but there's enough of it out there that you might include Seth Ben-Ezra on the list. He began publishing bits of it as part of an article series in 2001, but I don't know whether there's a date on what's available currently.

--M. J. Young

Nathan

I released Eldritch Ass Kicking in 2002, although I am gearing up for a rerelease next month. Cool.
-------------------------------------------
http://www.mysticages.com/
Serving imagination since '99
Eldritch Ass Kicking:
http://www.eldritchasskicking.com/
-------------------------------------------

Michael S. Miller

A quick look at my hard drive reveals:

For-Pay full games:
Cartoon Action Hour by Cynthia Celeste Miller
Dust Devils by Matt Snyder
Kayfabe by Matt Gwin
Knights of the Road, Knights of the Rail by Aaron Houx
Violence Future by Dav Harnish (I bought this at GenCon, but don't know if it is generally available.)
FVLMINATA 2nd edition came out 8/02, by Jason E. Roberts & Michael S. Miller
Pocket Universe by Jeff Dee? (unicom@io.com is the e-mail in the game)
Trollbabe by some dude named Ron Edwards -- never heard of him

Supplements:
Against the Reich! (for octaNe) by Paul Elliot
In-Speckers (for InSpectres) by Tim Boser
Unspeakable (for InSpectres) by Jared Sorenson -- never heard of him, either

Free full games:
Wraiths by Ian Millington

As for indies in the last 5 years, don't forget John Wick's Orkworld and Gareth-Michael Skarka's Underworld
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

clehrich

Aurora, by Stephen Mulholland (AuroraGames.com).

Andy, I strongly recommend you email John Kim (the old advocacy dude) about this.  He keeps lists of this stuff as a hobby, and I think he has a longer list than this just of Sci-Fi games, which he posted when people said there weren't any sci-fi games.  I don't know if he's following the Forge at the moment, so you might try his home website and email from there.
Chris Lehrich

Ron Edwards

Hey,

Seems to be some confusions about Adept Press stuff. Sorcerer was first available in electronic form in 1996; Elfs was available in 1999. In book form, it's:

Sorcerer (June 2001)
Sorcerer & Sword (October 2001)
The Sorcerer's Soul (February 2002)

And Trollbabe (electronic) (August 2002)

Best,
Ron

GreatWolf

Quote from: M. J. YoungThere's a beta version of Alyria floating around; it's not officially published, but there's enough of it out there that you might include Seth Ben-Ezra on the list. He began publishing bits of it as part of an article series in 2001, but I don't know whether there's a date on what's available currently.

My plan is to have Legends of Alyria officially released for GenCon 2003.  I'd be honored to have it included for this year (mostly for ego-stroking purposes), but my honesty compels me to say that Legends of Alyria should wait until later.

However, wasn't Torchbearer made available in 2002?

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

edited to add a missing bracket
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Shreyas Sampat

Thanks for the mention, Seth, but I have a similar response to yours regarding Legends of Alyria - the current Torchbearer is beta (and the current beta release is from January 16th, no less).

So, while I have a fairly detailed sketch of the game publicly available, I like to call it a preview sort of release.  Hopefully I'll have the first print release for some time this year.

Jürgen Mayer

Here's what I found on my harddisk and shelf and on the net that hasn't been mentioned yet... (don't know if they all count as indies by the forge definition though). I also included the 12 Games of Christmas stuff...

Indies 2002

killing puppies for satan (by Vincent Baker - not sure about the year)
Starchildren (by Richard Ranallo and Scott Leaton, XIG Games)
Children of the Sun (by Ross, Grenfeld, Gray & Pollack, Misguided Games)
The Seventh Seal (by ?)
The Eleventh Hour (by Dav Harnish)

Indies 2002 - for free

Amazing Monkey Adventures (Jared A. Sorensen)
Insects of God (Jason L Blair)
OtherKind (by Vincent Baker - not sure about the year)

Indie 2002 - supplements

Ronin (Jason L Blair, for Dust Devils)
Blood and Steel (Jared A. Sorensen, for octaNe)
Christmas in Cartoon Land (Cynthia Celeste Miller and others, for Cartoon Action Hour)
Dragon Hunting (by Seth Ben-Ezra, for Little Fears)
Death Wish (Matt Snyder, for Dust Devils)
Radiancers (Jürgen Mayer, for UnderWorld)
Santa Claws (Jason L Blair, for Little Fears)
The Boston Irregulars (Jason L Blair, for Paladin)
Tombs of Terror (Paul Elliot & Jared A. Sorensen, for octaNe)
Against The Reich (Jared A. Sorensen, for octaNe)
Charnel Gods (Scott Knipe, for Sorcerer)

Indies before 2002

HöL (by Todd Shaughnessy, Daniel Thron and Chris Elliot, Dirt Merchant Games/White Wolf)
Obsidian (by Micah Skaritka, Dav Harnish and Frank Nolan)
The Last Exodus (by Sean Jaffe)
The Everlasting (by Steven C. Brown)
Suzerain Mortal Realms (by Damian Miller and others)
Continuum (by Chris Adams, David Fooden and Barbara Manni)
Rapture the Second Coming (by William Spencer-Hale)
Whispering Vault (by Mike Nystul)

And Universalis is by Ralph Mazza and Mike Holmes. Oh and since I published the German Der Letzte Exodus in 2002, I may automatically win in the yet to be announced category of Best Foreign Edition of an Indie Game 2002. Yay!

edit: added some more games
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

lumpley

Paul Czege

EPICS, by J. Scott Pittman, is copyright 2000. It is a for pay game.

Nicotine Girls, by Paul Czege, came out in 2002. It is a free game.

Le Mon Mouri, by Sean Demory, is copyright 2002. It is a for pay game.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Jürgen MayerAgainst The Reich (Jared A. Sorensen, for octaNe)

Paul Elliot wrote this, I just wrote the Roles and one or two other things...
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com