News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Most popular RPG genre...

Started by MistHunter, March 04, 2003, 01:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistHunter

I've been thinking about making an indie RPG for a long time, and multiple genres have crossed my mind, but I haven't come up with the right genre! Now I ask, what is the most wanted RPG genre next to Fantasy only using one race (humans) and apart from non-supernatural genres?
(taking my first step to my own RPG :) )

Le Joueur

Are you looking to find the most 'published to' genre within the body of role-playing games in print?  Are you looking for which in-print genres are most popular right now?  Or are you asking what genres are most popular with the public at large (not just gamers) that have been treated by in-print role-playing games?

Without more detail, about the best answers would be merely preferences upon the parts of the respondents.

Fang Langford
Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!

xiombarg

First: Don't worry about popularity.

Seriously. If you don't have a passion for what you're working on, it won't show in your work.

Rather than worrying about popularity, work instead on making a game you would enjoy playing, making it work, and playtesting it. Your enthusiasm for your own work will translate into sales.

Which is the other thing: Don't expect to make a lot of money. Don't quit your day job.

What sort of game do YOU want? What sets YOU on fire?
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

MistHunter

What sets me on fire is the following: 1 in 1000 people having supernormal powers in the Modern time. Though this category is too broad, and anything in it sets me on fire!
My new question: how could I design a special abilities system within this category? Please note that I want to make it as a sort of 'add-on' to the game, not being a major part of the real system itself.

quozl

What kind of supernormal powers are they and how "super" are they?  Also, what do you consider to be the "Modern time"?
--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

MistHunter

With modern time, well, NOW! It doesn't have to be this world, just something that really looks like it! And with supernormal powers: something like creating objects with the mind; or using special items to summon creatures; or reinforcinf your body with it to destroy walls by pushing your indez finger against them and moving at incredible speeds.
Hope that answers your questions...

Valamir

Have you checked out Brave New World or Godlike Mist?  Is that the sort of thing you're after?

ethan_greer

A question I have is, are the characters going to be the 1-in-1000 people who posess these supernormal powers, or are the characters going to be the 999-in-1000 blokes who exist in a modern world in which some people have these powers?

To rephrase with the intent on clarity:  Are the characters normal people, or are they superheros?  Or both?  Either?

I believe that the answer to that question could seriously impact your design.

MistHunter

The ones with supernormal powers are like...they've always excisted. People don't really care about them, they know they posses these abilities, and point it out most of the times; but it's not like the superpowered ones are feared by all others...more like amazing people. They do not necisarily bring destruction, they just have different careers because of their abilities. Brave New World and Godlike aren't even close. and I think that it's more 1 in 750 than 1 in 1000, as there are a lot that know how to use it, but a lot are total newbies that learnt the technique, but have no damn idea how to use it! And the superpowered can have more than one technique, it just takes more training.

Mike Holmes

I assume that Mr. Hunter means a Superhero RPG. Which is certainly a popular genre.

Why would you want the super powers to be modular to the rest of the design? Are you contemplating a generic undercarriage?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

MistHunter

NOT SUPERHERO! I HATE SUPERHEROES!!!!!!!! This is superhero-like, but it's not that. In fact, the characters are probably not 'heroes' at all, most of them will probably be thieves or hired assassins, as this makes more money. And I'm thinking of an experience system that awards players on how many people they've killed. And, unlike (most) superhero RPGs/stories, the abilities in my RPG are LEARNT!
Hmmmm, really, I'm getting more thoughts about my RPG already. Please keep posting! They're really helping me out!

quozl

A super villian rpg could be interesting.  Care to share any more details on the super abilities?
--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

Mike Holmes

I think we've miscommunicated on the whole genre thing, but you've made yourself clear so I won't persue it.

That said, you didn't answer my question which I was genuinely interested in.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

MistHunter

The characters aren't really villians, more like people finding a way to make money fast, at the cost of others. Yes, more egoism/greed than being evil (tho they're still a sin). But not all are like that, PCs can choose to not use their abilities unless encountered with other 'gifted people', which I still need a name for.
As for history of the ability, this is a rough draft that came to my mind as writing this post:

The ability is called 'Spirit' and is discovered by dojos. Each of these dojos teaches the ability in a different way; some require an object to focuse your Spirit on, others have a long and complicated ritual. Tho the ability is usually taught by someelse outside of the dojo, you will belong to the dojo. E.g., if someone taught you the way of the 'Shijuku' dojo, you belong to the Shijuku dojo, even if you decide to train the ability in another dojo.

More coming up, comments on this explanation are apreciated!

Spooky Fanboy

To me, it sounds like White Wolf's Aberrant, in that the players (I assume) have powers, but aren't necessarily heroes nor gods nor villains.

I am curious as to what type of powers one can learn. How do you see these powers manifesting? Since you hate superheroes, can we assume that powers are a little less flashy than the comics, more understated, but nonetheless powerful in their own right?

These dojos intrigue me. Is there a "Stealth" dojo that teaches the skills of the mythical ninja? Is there a "Warrior" dojo that teaches the student to turn his body into an invincible weapon? Is there a "Mystic" dojo that teaches all sorts of cool Jedi-mind-tricks? Is it less that the characters have powers, and more like they have unearthly, power-like levels of skill in certain areas, ie. a "Doctor" dojo that teaches how to bring people back from the dead?

Just to keep the questions coming...
Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!