News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Another 24 hour game?

Started by Little_Rat, April 15, 2003, 05:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little_Rat

Ok, so maybe I have too much time on my hands. For the past four years, I have been working on a study on nerds, their history, sociology, both real and stereotypical.
Anyway, I saw the 24 hour games, then  I read Vespertine and inspired, I dug up some of my old work, the really early early work (back before I "got" research) on nerd "categories".  I guess if you add up the hours, it might be under 24 (I don't have contigunous time on my hands) and while I intended to base it off of white wolf storyteller system, it didn't work.

Anyone interested in seeing Geeks: The Role-Playing Game?

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

I am definitely interested.

Especially if you can explain to me why they get into arguments in order to fit into a social scene.

Best,
Ron

Little_Rat

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHi there,

I am definitely interested.

Especially if you can explain to me why they get into arguments in order to fit into a social scene.

Best,
Ron

Huh? Um... if you mean the whole "leeter than thou" dynamic, its because geeks are people too. Everyone yells at each other.
If its why I chose to do such a silly project, all I can do is shrug.

Clinton R. Nixon

Little Rat,

Totally off-topic (for this thread), but: what sort of sociological study have you been doing on "nerds" or low-social intelligence, high-specific intelligence people? If you want to share some of your findings in detail, feel free to PM me - this is a topic of over a year study and interest for me.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Clinton R. Nixon

To get back on topic, I think another 24 hour game-fest is a great idea. Participants from last time: how did the experience work out for you? I know it goes against the purity of a 24-hour game, but would the experiment work better as a two-day process, maybe over a weekend?
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonTo get back on topic, I think another 24 hour game-fest is a great idea. Participants from last time: how did the experience work out for you? I know it goes against the purity of a 24-hour game, but would the experiment work better as a two-day process, maybe over a weekend?

Having been totally ignorant of how the 24-hour game event worked  (or even that it was going down 'til after the fact), can someone either reply or point me to how this all worked? What are the "rules", etc.?

I'm inclined to agree with Clinton about the weekend idea. I doubt I can dedicate 24 hours on, say, Saturday without the wife and kid wondering what the heck I'm doing!

How 'bout calling it "Weekend Warriors"?
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

iago

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonTo get back on topic, I think another 24 hour game-fest is a great idea. Participants from last time: how did the experience work out for you? I know it goes against the purity of a 24-hour game, but would the experiment work better as a two-day process, maybe over a weekend?

Assuming it's allowed.  As I read the ground rules Ron laid out, it's Phil's baby and can only be run once every 6 months, ala Iron Chef.  Then again, I don't know that I'd consider this current run to be 'done' -- the consensus that seemed to emerge in the original thread was that people could pick their 24-hour period whenever they wanted it to, in this month of April.  But this is just my interpretation.

I'll go on to say that I think a 24-hour time period inevitably spans 2 days unless you're talking about starting at midnight and ending at the following midnight. :)

In designing Pace, I ended up starting around 1pm on a sick day home from work, and running full-tilt until about midnight, with a pause for eating somewhere in there.  It was more or less done at that point, but I went back around 11am the following day and did some finishing touches and added a page... but most of it was in that single, frenetic burst.

Could I have done it as a pair of interrupted frenetic bursts?  Maybe.  But I'm not sure it would have had the same energy/purity/mania/quality that it had from being what was, in essence, a single setting thing.

That said, I do hear what people are saying about not having the available time.  Well, sure, I say, but I don't know that anyone really does have a 24 hour period in which all 24 hours (or at least the waking ones) are available.  It really ends up being an 8-16 hour RPG sort of thing, but I, with my 12, didn't really feel like that was too much of a problem.

In the end, I'd cast my vote with the single-sitting, keep-it-to-24-hours purity... I really fear the dilution that could come from making it longer.

Simon W

I more or less second the views of Mr Clinton And Mr Hicks.

Mine was done in the 16 hours I had available. I was tired towards the end, only because of three previous late nights and having to go to work in the morning ( I 'finished' at 2 am).

Luckily drinks and food were provided for me otherwise I may not have even started.

Basically good fun - I think we should stick to the 24 hour in one sitting rule. And yes, lets do it again, with hopefully more 'finished' products next time.

Gideon
http://www.geocities.com/simonwashbourne/Beyond_Belief.html