News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Taveruun Overview Thread

Started by Nick the Nevermet, June 15, 2003, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valamir

QuoteJames Sorry forgot to add Pendus Fain. It is done now. I cannot recall your reasoning for not being a kingdom duchy or anything else. It is a feudal territory is it not, and I believe that you have retained the title of high-lord. This would suggest one of two things 1) The region is a lordship or 2) the region still regards inself to be a part of the empire and hence regards itself as a Imperial county. What is the origin of the name Pendus Fain? Is it an ancient name for the region?

In some time generations past Pendus Fain was a Duchy who's ruler ran afoul of some powerful people who demanded that he be stripped of his title.  However, the ruler was important to the powers that be who new that the scandal was fueled by a bunch of opportunists looking to weaken his authority.  So, with the wisdom of Solomon, the powers that be stripped the region of his Duchy status and the ruler of his title as the opportunists demanded, but otherwise left the ruling family in place and intact with all of their other privileges.  Effectively circumventing the whole issue.

...obviously ;-)

Morfedel

You know Ralph, I keep on wanting to ask if you knew a guy named Ralph Mizzia. He became famous - or infamous - in Starfleet Battles circles, completely redefining SFB  tactics with a tactic that got dubbed the "Mizzia" concept. :)

And then there is Ralph Wiazowski, who became infamous for the Wiazowski attack: "I fire one hudredfh poinfhs of plathma! you die!"

Starfleet Battles, btw, is a tactical game of startrek ship to ship combat, not to be confused with the startrek combat simulator game. SFB is the most intense tactical game I've ever played, and is quite awesome! :)

Mike Holmes

My freind Brad used Mizzia attacks to beat me up in a game we played a couple of weeks ago. For those unaware, the Mizzia attack involves holding back weapons from phase to phase in situations where you'll have further opportunities to shoot at the same down shield. This is superior to firing all at once because, according to Mizzia, the damage tables are set up such that you are more likely to do damage to critical systems this way. Indeed, you're much more likely to destroy the entire bridge of a ship (and all other control systems causing it to go dead) this way, for example.

But for Ralph Mazza's suggestion, I think that it's unneccessary. It can just be Pendus Fain. Yes, it's part of a Feudal country, but likely it was created as part of the program that created the eight "compass point" districts. As such, it might have been called a district (this is the term that the book uses) under Imperial rule.

Since the Empire has gone, however, the region would have reverted to it's simple name. Thus, as it is a polity it has to be referable by some name, but Country does fine. Thus the Country of Pendus Fain could be part of Taveruun. Note that in fact nowhere does Taveruun have a special title either - it's not a Kingdom, nor a Duchy, nor a Province... just Taveruun. A country if it must have a title.

That all said, per the history, it would be nice to know just what relationship Pendus Fain has with the rest of Taveruun. As a part, the Highlord must have sworn fealty or at the very least have signed that Defense pact referred to in the history. Perhaps that's all that has ever happened, and Pendus Fain is only barely part of Taveruun by a sort of technicality. That would be cool.

It occurs to me that an easy way around a lot of the history of Pendus Fain would be to say that it merely was split off of Illitzi or Galadorn at the time of the creation of the districts. Would that make sense to you, James? Or would you like to work out something more complex?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Gary_BinghamBrian now that you are back are you going to pick up the South east county?

Gary

Uhh.. I was going to look at West, if it was left open for me. Also possibly Southwest. I have not had a chance to read through all 250-odd messages in the Taveruun thread, plus another 120+ in this thread yet, so I'm a bit behind and I don't even know what's been left for me. I will be able to start to get to them at the end of this week or so, after I clear some of the backlog at work.

I just want to say that I'm amazed and astounded at how much the Taveruun thread has exploded, from my basic comment a few months ago at how cool I thought that country was and that it was my favourite. Damn cool stuff, guys.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Valamir

Quote from: MorfedelYou know Ralph, I keep on wanting to ask if you knew a guy named Ralph Mizzia. He became famous - or infamous - in Starfleet Battles circles, completely redefining SFB  tactics with a tactic that got dubbed the "Mizzia" concept. :)

And then there is Ralph Wiazowski, who became infamous for the Wiazowski attack: "I fire one hudredfh poinfhs of plathma! you die!"

Starfleet Battles, btw, is a tactical game of startrek ship to ship combat, not to be confused with the startrek combat simulator game. SFB is the most intense tactical game I've ever played, and is quite awesome! :)

I am aware of Mizzia, as I am aware of various bits and pieces of SFB lore...mostly arms length.  I find the FASA starship simulator to be about a million times more enjoyable than SFB and Full Thrust to be about 100 times more enjoyable than FASA...so that should give you an indication of where my game preferences lie.  SFB *is* very tactical...but its the artificial, arbitrary, not an ounce worth of simulative anything (other than itself) kind of tactics that lead me decidedly unimpressed.

Gary_Bingham

Quote from: Brian Leybourne

Uhh.. I was going to look at West, if it was left open for me. Also possibly Southwest. I have not had a chance to read through all 250-odd messages in the Taveruun thread, plus another 120+ in this thread yet, so I'm a bit behind and I don't even know what's been left for me. I will be able to start to get to them at the end of this week or so, after I clear some of the backlog at work.

I just want to say that I'm amazed and astounded at how much the Taveruun thread has exploded, from my basic comment a few months ago at how cool I thought that country was and that it was my favourite. Damn cool stuff, guys.

Brian.
I have compiled the posted material on the indie-netgaming site for reference purposes. Note i have not edited any of the text for content just compiled it into 1 big file. It will save everyone trawling through the threads to find details. Here is the link.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indie-netgaming/files/Taveruun/CompiledMaterial.doc

I have named West and Northwest as part of the history thread. The Southwest is the only completely untouched territory (we were saving it for you :) ) The Northwest is nothing more than a name and I have no problem with you changing the name and starting from scratch.

Gary

Brian Leybourne

Ah damn. West was the one I really wanted.

Sigh. OK, I'll go look what's there (in a few days).

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Morfedel

Mike: Hey, if you like SFB, they have SFB Online. Its basically a chatroom with an interface for playing SFB, map and such included. I hadnt played in over a year, but when I did... well, it did have a kind of high learning curve, but I understand it may have gotten better.

Last I checked, it was $40 a year, and I may be signing on again, as I have no one locally to play SFB with. If you are inclined, you should consider it. Some of the best sfb players around hang out there, and man, are they vicious! They do tourney games, campaigns, all kinds of things....

Val: Artificial and arbitrary? Where do you get that?! I have been playing all kinds of tactical games for years, and nowhere did I ever get THAT impression!!!!

I have never played Full Throttle, but I did play the simulator, and I thought it was, well, stupid. Most ships had NO way of having all their shields powered at full strength at the same time. Where did you EVER see that happen in Star Trek?

James: What am I doing, man, this has nothing to do with TRoS! Uhm, should I start a new thread, or is it so off topic that it shouldnt be here anywhere? :(

Mike Holmes

Quote from: MorfedelMike: Hey, if you like SFB, they have SFB Online.

Sigh, yes James, waaaay off topic. My post above was an attempt to get things back on topic. I apollogize for not being more direct.

I think we still need to talk about the West. Brian, are you still interested in it?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.