News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TFOB: Wish List

Started by Jake Norwood, July 29, 2003, 04:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mokkurkalfe

More info on making weapons and armour of different quality. How the values and prices are affected, and how long it takes to make them. That kind of stuff.
And as have been said, descriptive and simple pictures all over the place, like those used for encumberance.
I also agree on the wrestling rules. First of all, I don't want to keep track of any lousy NPC's weight. Better wrestling rules would be a great, since being able to wrestle down the warrior PC can make a group of lowly NPC's dangerous again.
Improve missile weapon rules. The ability to loose an arrow quickly and still be dangerous.
To me, the connection better aiming = larger chance to penetrate armour doesn't make sense. A broad-headed arrow from a short bow shouln't be able to penetrate the plate no matter how well aimed it is.

EDIT: Ooh, and some info and help about simultaneous attacks. You know, does a beat disable a simoultaneous attack or not? That kind of things.

Oh, and I suppose more info about horses and their role in battle is in OBAM, so I won't mention that.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Brassel

Like Valamir, I would like to see detailed rules formass combat as well.
Adding to his list:

I would wish for treatments of different battle tactics:
    + like basic set up of your army:

- in a shield-wall (if that's the english term) best described in Bernard Cornwalls trilogy of king arthur
      - to break a shield wall
      - with hidden troups to get out at the flanks
      - with chivalry
      - in a wedge formation to break through
      - to follow retreats in order to finnish them...
      - ...and get caught in an ambush
      [/list:u]
      + in-battle maneuvers

- how to break through to the head of the other army
        - and what happens when you actually kill him (and who get's the fame for the kill)
        - details for the actual characters in the battle, how many they killed, which wounds they got
        - what berserking means in a battle
        - is it there enough space to use this weapon, do that maneuver (this should change during battles)
        + detailed role of terrain

- how to treat places "which can be hold by few men against an army"
          - maneuver your army for a better terrain before the actual battle emerges
          + battle logistics

- marching armies long distances
            - how to get enough medical treatment for the survivors
            + with different battle machines like
              - charriots
              - siege weapons
              - movable cover for archers
              That should be enough for now. And I am sure,  you do not need extra rules for each
              possibility I mentioned: Stick to the great abstraction mechanisms that made TROS
              so easy to use, like Bankuei said.
              Hopefully for the future of TFOB,
              Bernd

toli

I would like some info on the economics and supplying and maintaining armed forces.  For example,

(1) What are the incomes of different levels of Nobility...a general range.

(2) What does it cost to hire different troop types both longterm (household troops) and short term (mercenaries).

(3) How much food and water are required.  How do you get it.  

A 'typical army' from several different countries might also add some flavor...NT
NT

Jasper the Mimbo

here's mine-

I'm on the wrestling band wagon, too. they need fixing.
Modifiers for wrestling in armor that go beyond the CP penalty of the armor. Certain wrestling manuvers just dont work on a guy in plate. Likwise, other manuvors can't be performed at all if you're wearing armor.
Rules for wrestling more than one person. Ex. ten villagers are pulling a knight off horseback during a revolt.

Enchanted weapons and armor. Ex. Game mechanics for Excalibur's scabbard stopping Blood Loss.
Artifact level items. Id like to see mechanics for things like the Black Cauldren.

mass combat rules for non-human combatants. What are the Ghol like in wars and sieges? or worse yet, the Hef. What can an army do against an angry dragon? More fantasy-esq options, like sorcerers on the battlefield (or more likely, overlooking it.), squads of griffon riders. Stuff like that.

More in depth skill rules. Tactics, battle and style analyisis rules for mass combat. Poison rules. Rules for True Leadership in mass combat.

And finally, of course- All the ups and downs of mass combat itself. (like it needs to be said.) I'm particularly intrested in running a battle sim of a mongolian-esq hord lead by a very powerful Khan vs. a roman style legion led by someone like Maximus.
List of people to kill. (So far.)

1. Andy Kitowski
2. Vincent Baker
3. Ben Lehman
4. Ron Edwards
5. Ron Edwards (once isn't enough)

If you're on the list, you know why.

Salamander

I think I would like to see a few more examples of armour, and weapons. Perhaps expand upon the crossbows/bows and the relevant arrow heads? I don't want to see a massive codex, just a few more examples with which we can run. Maybe add a little side bar on the effectiveness of certain classes of weapons against certain classes of armour?

Also, how about some of the things that drove the finance of battle? Ransom! Looting! Pay!

Also, what about a quick essay on logistics? Not much more than a page or two would cover it, I think.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Salamander

From what I have seen and heard on the Armour thread how about a reworking of the CP Penalties for wearing Armour? This way, those who like the way they are have got values from the original book and we can have some new ones for those who feel the CP Penbalties may be a bit stiff as they are...
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Ben Lehman

The Long List:

Revised Wrestling Rules
Revised armor rules
In-depth counter rules, with information from manuals
Rules for disarms?
The best mass combat system in the world
Guidelines for the following proficiencies:  Two small weapons, whip, spear and shield.
More advanced look into missile weapon proficiences -- particularly what alternates to what (thrown knives and thrown axes, say, or thrown knives and the Dagger proficiency.)
Rules for being highly skill in more than one Proficiency without being totally screwed on advancement.
Alternates for wrestling and lance.
Rules for arming gloves / parrying sleeves
Articles about strategy -- high toughness vs. low toughness, multiple opponents, large creatures, etc.

Any of these need additional explanation?

MonkeyWrench

I wouldn't mind rules for a mass weapon and sword combo. I'm not sure how historically accurate it is, but you have to admit it would be fun to weild a pick and sword at the same time.
-Jim

Rattlehead

Aside from agreeing with pretty much everything already mentioned...

I'd like to see a greatly expanded list of weapons, armor and equipment. Perhaps a "universal list" that includes all of the stuff from the main book as well, just for completeness...

And fix the rapier's damage! It's too low to be acurate! :-D I know it was "revised"... I'd like to see it un-revised so it's comparable to a real rapier...

Brandon
Grooby!

Mokkurkalfe

Perhaps a wee little piece on weapon- and armor maintenance? It doesn't (or shouldn't) have to be any hard rules, just a bit of text on what may happen, possible negative modifiers if an armor starts to fall apart and sentence towards the end that says "If you got a rag, some oil and some time every day or a squire, your armour will be just fine". Very optional, very rules-light, and mostly in there for flavor and potential adventure hooks.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Durgil

I'd like to see a detailed resolution of botches in combat that is more than just you loose half your CP next round.  That could be one of the possibilities, but so could dropping your weapon, or your weapon breaking, etc.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Swordmagnet

A Botching chart; everything from "Lose 2 dice from CP" to "Stab yourself in the groin for a level 2 wound".

A detailed armor chart, i.e.; ringmail, jazeraint, brigandine, Japanese style armors, arming doublet, etc. with damage type modifiers like "Mail -1 vs. puncturing". Armor materials: bronze plate, iron plate, steel plate, Mithril plate?

A better explanation of encumbrance. I know you're expected to drop everything before entering a bout but how does shrugging off your pack affect initiative?

A better explanation of terrain and it's affects in a bout, i.e. how to use terrain against an opponent/multiple opponents.
Damn, sword cuts hurt!

Sneaky Git

So much... Here's to hoping that this is a big book!

Seriously, I'm interested in seeing a ton of things in TFoB, but will try to limit requests to a few of the more important ones.  I would love to see rules for scaling the indivdiual combat of TRoS to include a greater number of combatants.  Skirmish-level and even larger.  Obviously, this should be abstracted so that it is playable (TRoS is not, after all, a wargame), but I would like to see the effects of troop type (weapons, skill, nationality, race, etc.), terrain, tactical decisions, and morale on the resolution of combat.  I would like to see these applied to the Battle/Tactics/Strategy skills.

Also, how much does it cost to raise and field an army?  A navy?  Speaking of navies, how about a naval version of the rules I mentioned above?

Let's see... I like the sound of more fighting styles, and a more indepth look at armor (with new CP values).

The Riddle of Jade will cover other elements that I would like to see...so I think this is a good start to a list.

Oh, and one last note concerning my mention of race...how do the Gol fight?  And can you imagine having to deal with a score (or more) of Great Ape Hef?  All at once? *shudder*

Chris
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

- Leonidas of Sparta, in response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.

Morfedel

To add to the list:

explanations of what armors covers what locations in greater detail. The hit locations go into greater detail, and I want to see the armor locations covered as well.

Revised CPs for armor, as stated

Mass combat, while emphasizing character roles in it; we arent looking for miniatures rules here, but we do want dramatic mass combat with PC involvement , particularly when the PC is leading the masses, heh (although, hm, wanna do a new game? and take on Warhammer fantasy head to head? :D  )

More detailed counters, and botches. Unlike others, I dont care about the fancy names, but more mechanics would be neat.

Regarding the role of mass combat, you might want to keep in mind what happens if a PC is running a sorcerer.... that might be better addressed in S&F, but maybe a short blurb....

Durgil

I forgot about missle weapons in my previous post.  I'd like to see rules regarding different types of arrow/bolt heads, i.e. hunting, armour piercing, barbed, etc. along with different types of bows and crossbows.  What happens when you roll a botch, the effects of moisture on these types of weapons (the bow and the string).  Finally, I'd like to see something like the Die of Fate from The Burning Wheel implimented.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.