News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How did you discover The Forge?

Started by Paul Czege, November 02, 2001, 09:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daredevil

Hmm. I came over because the address popped up in discussion on eitehr RPG.net or GO (before the crap). Can't remember which. How I got on those is another question .. but I guess they just came to my knowledge while scouring the 'Net for anything rpg related.

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Well, as much as I'd like to give off a really cool and unique story, I'm going to have to tell the truth.  The boring truth.

I saw a link to the Forge in an Rpg.net thread.  

Pulse-pounding stuff, huh?  ;0)

Cynthia Celeste Miller
President, Spectrum Games
www.spectrum-games.com

Chris Passeno

One word.    Jared.

His, at first glance, sarcastic remarks to a post of mine on RPG.net were pearls of wisdom in disguise.  A facination of checking out remarks by Jared lead me to a link to the Forge.

Later,
Chris

Jared A. Sorensen

Kicks up his feet and thumbs through a stack of checks.

That's right, keep 'em coming and I'll keep them coming.

But seriously, cool. Thanks for joining us.

Join us...join us...
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Paganini

Well, I've been doing RPG stuff on the net for years. I was trying to design RPGs before I even really knew how they worked. :) The first thing I did when I got internet access (actually, even before that... I went to the library and used a floppy) I did a search for "Free Net RPGs" (many variations). I found John Kim's page, Unclebear.com, RPG.NET, and so on. After I actually got my own computer and connection, I did some extensive downloading / printing. I bet I've got more net published games in my desk drawer than anyone else here. :) Anyway, at some point in all this research I went to one of the RPG newsgroups (rec.games.fantasy.role-playing I think it was... maybe it was one of the advocacy groups) with my very first game design. It was called "Adventurer" and it sucked big time. :) But, I got a lot of nice comments from cool people (I actually met Travis (Efindel) there, and Bradd Szoyne too, I think). At least one person pointed me to the RPG-Create mailing list, which at the time was at onelist.com. I was never a big fan of usenet, and that list was ideal for me... posts came right to my computer, and I could read them at leisure. All very organized. I learned a lot of great stuff there about various systems, probabilities, conventions, etc. etc. Unbelievably, I've grown to the point where my stuff looks actually looks like a game now, even one that was actually writen by a game designer sometimes. I even have a game (shameless plug ahead) in the production line of Crookedface Games, to actually be sold for real money.

So, I've met and seen a lot of people over the internet, many of whom post here. I think the specific referall to the Forge came from Raven when there was a big GNS debate going on in RPG-Create a while back. I only just now got around to joining on.

Okay, that's the end of my really long, and probably pointless and uninteresting post. Next time don't ask questions. ;)