News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

May Get-Together in DC

Started by Sydney Freedberg, May 02, 2005, 10:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sydney Freedberg

My turn.

I'd like to invite all DC-area Forge folk and hangers-on to my reasonably large apartment in Cleveland Park, near the zoo, for a gaming get-together on Saturday 14 May at 6:30 pm.*

Everyone interested PM me, or better yet email me at sfreedberg@nationaljournal.com, for directions. Good news: Two blocks from Cleveland Park Metro (Red Line). Bad news: Parking hell. Welcome to the jungle.

I'll orchestrate pizza; contributions of drinks and dice would be welcome.

Last two times we played Capes and My Life With Master. Continuing on the theme of gaming-as-tapas, some ideas come to mind for this time**:

Inspectres -- I know Tony Lower-Basch's vehemently interested in this one, and I understand it's fun, fast, and good for one-shots
Universalis -- again, zero-prep, and after all the posts about Capes and distributed GM power, I'm curious to try a totally different approach
Dogs in the Vineyard -- a bit more prep, and harder with large groups, but hey, I've got a town idea and a masochistic streak.

*That's a good weekend for me because I've got no deadlines either just before or after, a rare thing this month; violent objections only will be noted.

** And here all suggestions are welcome.

Vaxalon

I may be working that day, but 6:30 is late enough that I can come there afterwards.

Count me in.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Sydney FreedbergInspectres -- I know Tony Lower-Basch's vehemently interested in this one, and I understand it's fun, fast, and good for one-shots

You're wrong, sunshine! Whoever started that rumor is going to get a size 13 up the keister.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Sydney Freedberg

[ducks]

"Good for one-shots" doesn't necessarily mean "not good for extended play." Often quite the opposite. I simply meant you don't have to spend the first session generating characters -- because character creation isn't too crunchy -- and figuring out Situation -- because a strong, clear situation is already laid out -- so you can start actual play swiftly.

Vaxalon

I have to say I'm more interested in Universalis, but from what I understand it's not as good for one-shots as Inspectres.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: VaxalonI have to say I'm more interested in Universalis, but from what I understand it's not as good for one-shots as Inspectres.

*boot*
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Sydney Freedberg

If we don't strike the phrase "one-shot" from our vocabulary it's clear Sorenson's going to drive down from New Hampshire and go medieval on us. Okay... so we're looking for games that require little preparation and do not depend on multi-session play for high enjoyment.

So anyone know of a good GTRLPADNDOMSPFHE?

Vaxalon

Could we playtest my game, Guildmaster?  It's not a roleplaying game, per se, it's an auxiliary system that would be used WITH a roleplaying game.

I'll bring copies along with me, and if it looks interesting?
                                     --Vincent Baker

Sydney Freedberg

You have an electronic version you could email folks and/or link to?

Vaxalon

Yeah, that too...  I'll have it by then anyways.
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

So can we use it with InSpectres?  I'm still keen to play InSpectres (as player or GM, either way).
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Vaxalon

Hm.  It's possible.  I don't know enough about Inspectres to know for sure... but one of the possible uses for Guildmaster is as a framing device for short adventures run in another system... so yeah, it's entirely possible.
                                     --Vincent Baker

Victor Gijsbers

Quote from: Sydney FreedbergSo anyone know of a good GTRLPADNDOMSPFHE?
Great Ork Gods. Shadows.

Vaxalon

Anyone who will be at the meetup, please email me for a copy of the Guildmaster playtest PDF.
                                     --Vincent Baker

Sydney Freedberg

Just reminding folks,  we gather like crows to the carrion tomorrow. Anyone still needing directions, PM me, or use your potent psychic mind powers to divine my address through pure will.