News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GenCon 2006 Booth Menu Draft and Redraft

Started by Troy_Costisick, July 22, 2006, 02:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Czege

Alexander,

Please flag My Life with Master as a demo option.

Thanks,

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jonathan Walton

We're planning on demoing both of the short games (Mridangam, Waiting/Tea) that are included in Push.

Thanks for all your work on this.  You rock!

Iskander

Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.
The calmed lie down with ease,
having set winning & losing aside.

- Samyutta Nikaya III, 14

Matt Snyder

God damn, I show up late to the party and, as usual, all the beer's gone.

To confirm: Dust Devils Revenged will NOT be available at GenCon. I WILL be running demos, however. And, I'll have a one-page promotional flyer to hand out.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Justin D. Jacobson

Late in the game, but that raises an interesting question/option. Can we list a game not yet available without a price but with a demo option? I had assumed not. It seems that demo space/time should be reserved for games that are actually available. If I'm mistaken, I'd like to demo Passages. I was/am planning on demoing through the GoD area. Is that the correct/more appropriate avenue?
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!

LordSmerf

This is a pretty  minor quibble, and may be something you're already aware of (or just a display issue), but...

I'm imagining these things being tri-folded like a brochure.  If the PDF as it is now were printed front-and-back and tri-folded it would come out oddly.  I'm sort of guessing that you've simply got it set up for easy viewing rather than making people try to read it in standard tri-fold order (first column, second column, back, third column, fourth column, front).  Still, I thought I'd point it out just in case.  It would be unfortunate to have a huge stack of these and then be unable to fold them properly.

Thomas
Current projects: Caper, Trust and Betrayal, The Suburban Crucible

Iskander

Latest version (again, refresh your browsers, if you must. This version includes lumpley pricing for the first time.)

Stuff I Am Missing
Shooting the Moon - Price
- if anyone is in face-to-face contact with ECB, can you prod her, please?

What You Should Do With the Menu. Now.
- Check that the games you are eligible and able to demo are correctly marked.
- If you have corrected something, check that I did not introduce errors in the correction.
- Check the spelling (again) of everything you publish.
- Check the URLs. Again. Really. Forget ye not ye longe tail.
- Start pointing out any general typos, design quibbles, and that sort of thing. Given that there are some markedly variable aesthetics on the Forge, mine will prevail.

Thomas - thanks for pointing out the layout fubar. Even printing it twice and watching my partner look at it oddly, I didn't twig to having the z-fold the "wrong" (counter-intuitive, non-standard) way. Tempted as I am to be all "that's the indie way," I've corrected it now.

timfire

On the list of sponsors, I believe it should be "Wicked Dead Brewing Company", not"Publishing".
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

Thor Olavsrud

Hey Alexander, I'm pretty sure that Under a Serpent Sun goes for $15, not $5.

iago

Brennan Taylor of IPR pointed over here from another thread, and said he was going to be using the menu at the IPR locale.  I haven't made arrangements to be in the Forge booth, but he said something about needing to be on the menu, so, uh... Hi!

Don't Rest Your Head from Evil Hat Productions; money goeth to Fred Hicks; $15 cover price. :)

All else fails I'll be sitting across from the Forge booth over in Lulu-land!

Emily Care

I finally surfaced. Thanks for the prods, all.
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Iskander

OK... all the prices are in now, so I think this thread is done. I'll post the latest, proof version over in the Conventions threads.

Thanks everyone!
Alexander

Denise

Yup, I was looking at the old flyer.  VERY nice improvement- although I might not use the term "monkeys" when referring to your volunteers.  But I'm just a stickler for avoiding mixed metaphors.  It's a great idea, and well-executed.

Quote from: Iskander on July 25, 2006, 03:59:26 AM
Thanks for the updates, all.

Denise - it sounds like you were looking at an older version of the menu: the current version doesn't mention Gen Con by name (yet - if it does, later, I'll be sure to get the name right!) Thanks, also, for reminding everyone that there are Gen Con policies, to which we - being good citizens - will all strive to conform. (Except possibly Keith: he's still acting out adolescent Pole fantasies.)

The Forge booth menu is intended as a reference for people who come to the booth, and would rather browse what is on offer at their leisure - perhaps online, even after the convention - than buy games then and there. Most of the small press and indie game designers represented at the booth are keen to have their games bought by people who will play them, so there's little perceived value in this community in the random distribution of marketing material. As a flyer, it would be a waste: the vast majority of Gen Con attendees are, alas, at the convention for other fare than that offered at the Forge booth. This document is really for those who have already drunk the Kool-Aid... or want their first taste.

An ENnie vote has as much meaning as a dollar bill - that is, it's worth what you choose to value it at. -clash

The Annual Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ("The ENnies")

lumpley

Iskander