News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Forge Midwest 2007] Official Event Schedule -- Plan games here!

Started by Matt Snyder, March 14, 2007, 02:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hi Ralph,

A Games Day works well for those who are already connected into the network, or very socialable by nature, and would personally cause me no fear this year. However last year if it wasn't for the few scheduled games I got into and then lucking into Mike Holmes I may not have had much fun. I'm not socialable by nature, by nature I'm a Hermit. I had some friends who didn't preschedule games, who are more socialable than me, and apparently they spent some amount of time twiddling their thumbs, and not having fun. I'm not sure if they are returning this year.

Anyway, I think a mix will work well, but based on the present amount of scheduling, 3 games plus one getting worked out it looks like a majority of folks may agree with you, and we won't see really even a good mix of scheduled and pick up, but just pick up.

Hi Doyce,

From what I saw last year, people just made up characters and played. I certainly didn't experience the whole of the "get together," so my perception may be off. I think what may be more important is what type of gamemaster you are. I personally have never really done stuff with pregens, and when I have, even when the pregens are made by other people, my game has been flat. I'm not sure I can create interesting characters, and initial situation without help. You however may be really good at this and not at off the cuff gaming. Play to your strength.

Hi James and Dave,

Thanks, I look forward to seeing you.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

Nev the Deranged

Well, it's only been Done once, so there's not really any Usually.

That said, the first one was about half planned games and half pickup. Which sounds about right... I don't want to book the whole even up and leave no time for kibitzing and chatting or jumping in on something on the fly, but at the same time, I didn't get into as many games as I wanted last year because I didn't nail down enough. So it depends on your personal preference and whatever balance seems best to you.

I'd really like to try Capes, and Shock, and I'd really like to play some more Polaris. If planning ahead will get me into those games (or whatever else I listed), I will do so. But I am definitely leaving some space open for pickup whatever.

Oops, crossposting with Clyde... as he says, pickup games are more likely for folks who are well connected or at least very outgoing. For antisocial types like myself (who also spent some time thumb twiddling before falling back on Universalis (which was awesome, as it turned out)), some planning is advised.

And now that I've totally reiterated both Clyde AND myself, I'll shut up.

Oh, and I have no real preference for the TSOY game. Whenever everyone else wants to play is fine by me. I'd rather chargen at the table, (despite the fact that I have pregens for my Agon game), but if other folks have another preference, I'm cool with that.

D.

Troy_Costisick

Quote from: Valamir on March 22, 2007, 06:05:52 PM
Would I be the only one who would really prefer to NOT see all the games arranged and players sign up BEFORE the actual convention.

1) I'd hate for people who aren't in the electronic loop to arrive in Chicago and find most of the games were filled up weeks ago.

2) and the Con really had a nice "pick up game" kind of feel to it last year that was somewhat chaotic but left lots of room for mingling and such.

It would probably be best, IMO, if people just posted what they want to run and what they'd like to play.  Until there are bodies in the room, there's no use in creating official lists of who's in a game and who isn't.  However, it is good to announce what your interests are.  This way people have an idea of what they might want to prepare for and also reduce unecessary overlap.

Peace,

-Troy

TJ

I'm all for pick-up gaming.  If anyone needs an extra player, I am willing to try just about anything.

Nev the Deranged

Man, I was just over at a friend's last night and read most of the way through their copy of Watchmen (yeah, I never got around to it before, sue me).

I really, really want to play Capes now.

Matt Snyder

Regarding scheduling of events: It's meant as a pump-primer and a good planning guide, not as a limitation to be enforced.

All-or-nothing in either direction seems to me to be the real recipe for failure. Some folks will play scheduled games, some will play pick up games or go eat or play some Battlelore or whatever. Great!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

GreatWolf

Well, in that case, I'm also curious about the following games:

It was a Mutual Decision
Orx
Battlelore (I've played all the other Command and Color games, so I should be a pretty quick study)
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Nev the Deranged

I'm always up for some IWAMD. I can bring my kit (a set of black and white dice and a dry erase board). It's not necessary but it is easier to see than a regular sheet of paper.

Doyce

Okay, thanks for the answers from folks -- with those answers in mind, I will simply say that, for the TSoY game that's been discussed, I'd like to run it in slot four on Saturday, but can also run it in slot two on Saturday.  The five of us can either officially decide on that now, or leave it for later.   Also: let's say group chargen at the table, and for a setting/situation, I have a mild (+1) inclination toward something in Maldor, a mild (-1) disinclination toward something in Qek (based simply on my shaky familiarity with their magic) and am otherwise equally interested in any locale for play.

And some Battlelore play sounds hot.
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

greyorm

Quote from: GreatWolf on March 26, 2007, 07:57:27 PM
Well, in that case, I'm also curious about the following games:
It was a Mutual Decision
Orx
Battlelore (I've played all the other Command and Color games, so I should be a pretty quick study)

Unfortunately, due to a couple of serious financial issues that came out of the blue and double-teamed me over the course of the last month, I won't be able to attend FM this year.

But if anyone wants to run Orx, man, go for it!
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Thor Olavsrud

Quote from: Clyde L. Rhoer on March 22, 2007, 10:04:11 PM
A Games Day works well for those who are already connected into the network, or very socialable by nature, and would personally cause me no fear this year. However last year if it wasn't for the few scheduled games I got into and then lucking into Mike Holmes I may not have had much fun. I'm not socialable by nature, by nature I'm a Hermit. I had some friends who didn't preschedule games, who are more socialable than me, and apparently they spent some amount of time twiddling their thumbs, and not having fun. I'm not sure if they are returning this year.

This worked really, really well at NerdNYC's last Recess event: Everyone submitted their games, a schedule was drawn up, but sign ups weren't held until the day of the event.

That way you can still schedule games, but people don't get locked out of the games before they even know they're happening. And it's still possible to do pick-up games.

GamerChick

Quote from: Thor Olavsrud on March 28, 2007, 10:07:56 PM
This worked really, really well at NerdNYC's last Recess event: Everyone submitted their games, a schedule was drawn up, but sign ups weren't held until the day of the event.

That way you can still schedule games, but people don't get locked out of the games before they even know they're happening. And it's still possible to do pick-up games.

I'm likin' this really, really well.  This is my first visit, and I'm bringing a friend who's completely new to the Indie scene, and it would really suck if we ended up shut out because everything was pre-scheduled into fullness.

My friend and I would also love to have some convo time with the great minds (which would be about everyone) because we're about to tackle writing our first game.  These students are looking for their teachers.

Doyce

Quote from: Thor Olavsrud on March 28, 2007, 10:07:56 PM

To that end, I suggest perhaps using Clyde's spreadsheet (http://theoryfromthecloset.com/theorywiki/tiki-view_sheets.php?mode=edit&sheetId=1) or a Google spreadsheet, publically shared.
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

Blankshield

Quote from: GamerChick on March 29, 2007, 08:27:54 PM
My friend and I would also love to have some convo time with the great minds (which would be about everyone) because we're about to tackle writing our first game.  These students are looking for their teachers.

I dunno if it's a good idea or a flop, but I've added a slot for a designer roundtable on Sunday morning (not married to that timeslot) to Clyde's sheet.  Will other designers be willing to sit with me and answer stuff?  Who knows!  Will anyone want to ask questions?  Who knows!  Will we all be crawling around like pale, sun-hating slugs if there isn't coffee?  Yes!*

James

*Or I will, at least.  'Cause I know I'll be getting my ass handed to me in Jungle Speed until at least 3 AM.
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Troy_Costisick

Quote from: Blankshield on March 29, 2007, 11:03:07 PM
Quote from: GamerChick on March 29, 2007, 08:27:54 PM

I dunno if it's a good idea or a flop, but I've added a slot for a designer roundtable on Sunday morning (not married to that timeslot) to Clyde's sheet.  Will other designers be willing to sit with me and answer stuff?  Who knows!  Will anyone want to ask questions?  Who knows!  Will we all be crawling around like pale, sun-hating slugs if there isn't coffee?  Yes!*

James

*Or I will, at least.  'Cause I know I'll be getting my ass handed to me in Jungle Speed until at least 3 AM.

If at all possible for me, I'll try to be available for that.

Peace,

-Troy