News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Taveruun

Started by Brian Leybourne, May 22, 2003, 07:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Morfedelthis is twice that Illitzi has been mentioned, and somehow I missed this in the previous documents. i'm going to look for it, but... are you referring to that port town that is next to the river that is between Numeria and Taveruun?

I've taken some time off to think about this, and to read up.

Yes, the "town" sized dot just north of where the river meets the sea is what I was calling Illitzi. I think that my reasoning for it being owned by Taveruun is fairly straightforward. For example, the border is by the river. making it plainly on the Taveruun side. But for every point of evidence that I can come up with that it's a Taveruun city, there's another point that says it's not.

I'm not interested in hashing out the point by point, however. I don't think that would be profitable. Instead, I'm going to try to use my own principle, and make something advantageous out of the conflicting information.

So, Illitzi is no longer a port, and not the city on the map, but instead another (must be smaller) town a bit north of it. That clears up several problems itself. Instead, we can consider the town in question to be the one mentioned in the  section on Numeria (starts with a Z). This also makes the river the Anazum (sp) along it's entire length, including what I assume is the non-navigable part to the west that I figure forms the border on the map (the river feeding into it being the Cathedral, as previously determined). The sliver of land along the river, and the city itself then are held by Numeria.

What I'd say then is that this city has been contested back and forth for ages. Likely at some point it was the capital of the province, but is not now. As such, the Count probably eyes the city frequently, hoping to regain it one day, but can't play today as he has to devote financial resources to the impending war. But the Numerians are aware that their tenuous hold probably won't last if the forces of the South can ever be brought to bear against it. This also follows the text, as it indicates that the Numerians are worried about losing such border holdings to Taveruun. The way I see it, Numeria could defend it easily if they could organize to do so. But the Priestesses haven't taken effective steps (perhaps due to internecine problems of thier own), and the figurehead "descendants" are do-nothings. In fact, how about the city was taken several years ago by a warlord sent by the priestesses, who still awaits directives from them? Or something like that?

Anyhow, don't want to get too much into other country's business, just trying to account for the South's political position towards Numeria. But does the above satisfy everyone? Any new problems?

This all will require some substantial rewriting on my part. I'll save the edits for when we compile everything, however.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Gary_BinghamThe Church will see Svarastra as an untapped resevior of potential converts to the Word of Xanar. They also will not take kindly to Coranthus muddying the water by attacking Svarastra or it's trade ships. There are many missionaries over the border who would be in danger if the border were closed. Again more opportunities for intrigue and treachery.

I dunno. Is the Church missionary? I mean this world doesn't seem to have the colonialism that might exist if it were Earth. As such, I'm not sure that there would be a missionary ferver. Can anyone remember the book saying anything about this? Crusades aren't missionary, their political and based on conquest.

Mike

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Thorsten
QuoteI do picture the legions very much like the roman legions. . ..., control over the legions would have ceded to the Baron of Galadon. The prohibitive cost of maintaining these elite troops has led the Baron to demand a defence levy on the other highlords(note this may be a bone of contention between the highlords)
Why should the other highlords have agreed to finance the legions over suchh a long time, and give a rival such a potent threat?
How get a feudalistic society the ressources to finance and support the legions?
Out of this reasons I think a thegmata system of farmer soldiers, who see themselves as the heirs of the old legions, who see themselves as the Legions, could fit better.

I think that if Gary wants to have the legions, that we can work out a reasonable way to have it occur. If he wants there to be some tax that's levied regularly, then we can say that it's been maintained via tradition. To make it a bit more plausible over the long haul, though, perhaps it was diminished in size over the course of intervening years of peace, with much of it maintained as recallable militia. So, basically, in times of peace, the force would be at cadre levels, able to train up forces on relatively short notice.

In the light of the impending invasion, then, the Count has solicited and received extra monies from the other highlords to beef up the force to it's full wartime levels. I've already indicated that South is sending money, for example.

Would this be a reasonable explanation? Any other ideas?

Mike

Morfedel

I am not sure how far this would go. The text of the book makes it clear that the 8 high lords are pretty much autonomous; now, if the fear of god, ie Otamarluk, were enough of a lever...

In fact, I could see the fun in having the high lords most in the path of invasion arguing, raging, wheedling, and otherwise beating their heads over the frustrations of some short-sighted over lords they share a kingdom with.

Mike: I like your alternative concerning the port situation. Sounds great!

Mike Holmes

I'm posting several posts in a row to make for easier responses. Don't miss the ones above.

James, we never did learn from you what the title of the lord of Pendus Fain is. We could just refer to him by the title of Highlord. Given the region's extreme remoteness, perhaps it was just made a province with a sort of governor who was given the title Highlord to put him on par with the lords of the other 7 parts of the country. This would make an interesting exception, IMO.

Or did you want to give him some other title?

Mike

Morfedel

Oh, sorry: his title was High Lord. Nothing extravagant.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: MorfedelI am not sure how far this would go. The text of the book makes it clear that the 8 high lords are pretty much autonomous; now, if the fear of god, ie Otamarluk, were enough of a lever...

In fact, I could see the fun in having the high lords most in the path of invasion arguing, raging, wheedling, and otherwise beating their heads over the frustrations of some short-sighted over lords they share a kingdom with.
I would say that Ottamarluk is about as big a lever as you're likely to find.

Each author should decide for his region whether or not they are providing funds for East to raise their legions. South, I've decided is paying up. I figure that they may or may not be in the path of the invasion, but they've been in the path of the Dardanet invasion before, and they don't want any of that again if they can prevent it. They also happen to be sucking up to East of late (they gave East control of a small town not too long ago for the same reason).

That said, I don't see South as being particularly prosperous now, so it can't be all that much support.

Mike

Gary_Bingham

Quote from: Mike HolmesI really like the idea of Kallary. Can you outline where it might have been on the map a bit?
Whilst I was forming the timeline I put together some ideas for the Kingdom of Kallary I spent a little time developing it however now Brian has expressed an interest in the Imperial West County. I want Brian to get involved and so I am willing to back down from the region and let him have it. It would be a shame not to post the material I had done for Kallary though. So I will post it here and we can decide between us whether or not we use it going forward. ok?

The Kingdom of Kallary
Imperial West County of Taveruun

Overview

The King-less Kingdom of Kallary is bewildering blend of ancient traditions and modern thinking. Antediluvian temples rest easily alongside polished alabaster Colleges amongst winding streets draped with banners of many coloured silks. Both the Church of the Three Gods become One and the Followers of the Prophet consider the capital of Port Kallary to be a holy site, being the final resting place of Xanar Lightbringer and the origin of the Holy Prophet.

Geography and Economy
Much of the territory credited to the Kingdom of Kallary is located in the heights of the Taveruu mountains, and on the whole is uninhabited save for a few fearless mountain goats. The remainder of the kingdom is perched precariously on the cliff-tops which forms the coastline of the Sea of Fallen Gods. What arable lands exists are incredibly fertile and a ingenious tiered system of agriculture ensures that even the steepest gradient is useable by farmers.

The capital city of the region is the bustling Port Kallary. Built in ancient times in an almost perfect natural haven the mighty seaport once dominated the whole of the Sea of Fallen Gods, and remains an important center for trade and shipbuilding. The Rashad of Kallary are scholars acknowledged as being peerless engineers but are perhaps best renowned for their wonderful mechanical constructions.

History and Politics
The city that is now known as Port Kallary was once Dar-Es-Kallyrii and the was the heart of a wealthy and powerful city-state. The origins of the State of Kallyrii are during the Otarmarluk conquests of third and fourth centuries. When the Otarmarluk empire stretched from the Sea of Sails to the Sea of Fallen Gods the haven that was to become Kallyrii was a small fishing village nestled between the Taveruu mountain range and the sea. The Sul'taan's general in the lands of the Taveruu, Ashif abu Manzia built a fortress there and named it after the Taveruu peoples who resided in the region. When the Dardanri pushed the Marluk out of the lands of the Taveruu, Dar-Es-Kallyrii found itself isolated from the motherland. Though the border between Otarmarluk and Dardanet was to constantly ebb and flow increasingly Dar-Es-Kallyrii became self-dependent and eventually renounced ties to Otarmarluk signing treaties and trade agreements with Helena and Dardanet.

The culture of Dar-Es-Kallyrii was one of tolerance and accommodation. The Shieq, or ruler, of the City-State was elected by the people of the haven to rule in their stead and the qualities prized by the citizens were wisdom and fairness. Many houses of learning were established in Dar-Es-Kallyrii and many important technological advances were discovered during the Kallyrian period, including sophisticated steel forging techniques and innovative ship designs.

The City State of Dar-Es-Kallyrii was able to stand against the incursions of the young Xanarian empire in the 6th century when its neighbors Dardanet and Helena fell because of the strong natural defense of the haven and the power naval forces that the Shieq had amass. The fleet was destroyed in 575 Weyr during the Battle of the Malan Straits, though the Kallyrii victory during this naval battle ensured the survival of the nation for centuries to come.

Having failed to take the city-state by force the Xanarian Empire instigated a prolonged diplomatic campaign with Dar-Es-Kallyrii. In 938 Weyr the Shieq of the haven, Hedasa Abu Kaullan bowed to the pressure and signed the Treaty of Spatha effectively making the city-state a fiefdom of the Empire. Riots rocked the city-state forcing the Shieq to flee and for a short period of time the city-state realigned itself with Otarmarluk.

It was during the First Crusade for the Shard that the haven finally fell to Xanarium. The combined forces of Xanarium and Helena under Alexius Medellius of the Seat, and Giovanni Uradzia of Helena besieged the city and brought the peoples of Kallyrii to it's knees after 18 months of hardship. The son of the exiled Shieq Abu Kaullan is returned to power as the first Duke of Kallary and the intensely ambitious Alexius Medellius was crowned King Medellius I of the Kingdom of Kallary in 1003 Weyr.

When Abu Kaullan was killed by a Dakyrii assassin in 1011 Weyr King Medellius I fled the country fearing for his life leaving the country under the command of a Mainlunder Duke. He returned 5 years later with a large force of mercenaries, which he used to subdue the Dakyrii Reaches. The mercenary companies took up residence in Port Kallary rich in the profits made from the Pacification of the Dakyrii.

In 1137 Weyr the last heir of the line of Alexius Medelius was killed under an assassin's blade. The Duke at that time refused to take the title as it was seen as a poisoned chalice and ruler the Kingdom as a Steward Duke. This became academic in 1161 as the Kingdom of Kallary become the Imperial west County of Taveruun during the Reformation of Taveruun, and the imperial Overlord took up residence in the King's Palace. After the Overlord left Taveruun in 1414, the reigns of power was returned to the Steward Duke, and the Kingdom of Kallary was returned  

Religion
The unique history of the Kingdom of Kallary has left a heritage of religious freedom, the major faiths of the Church of the Three and the Followers of the Prophet are strongly advocated. The Marlesh peoples favour the Vow and the Mainlunders the Church and there is very little traffic between them, and the Kallyrii peoples are swayed in equal portions between both.  The people generally are free to worship who they choose though the two major faiths make up 97% of the practicing population.

The Followers of the Prophet in Kallary practice a much less militant and more tolerant form of the faith, and they only nominally cede to the Emir of Otarmarluk in religious matters. This has brought them into conflict with the Emir, however the isolated position of Kallary and the historical importance of the city to both faiths has prevented any major conflagrations from taking place.

The Church of the Three also is more open in Kallary than elsewhere and Inquisition has little presence in the haven. The Holy Knights of the Shard have a modest chapterhouse in Kallary, though the Sons of the Righteous War are not welcomed in the haven and those who do reside there are billeted in the grandiose Cathedral of Xanar.

Locations and Peoples of Note
Mainlunders

Many descendants of the crusaders who took Kallary as well as migrants from the northern kingdoms have taken up residence in Kallary. The majority of the ruling classes are made up from this section of the population, though a small number of Marlesh and Kallyrii merchants are beginning to rise in power in recent years.

Marlesh (or Marleshiks)
The Marlesh are men of ancient Marlukian stock, distant relatives of the Heljin tribes. They remember the halcyon days of Dar-Es-Kallyrii and are intensely proud of their heritage. They are a colourful and emotional people and it is said that the Passion of the Marlesh and Practicality of the Kallyrii makes for the inventiveness of the Rashid.

Kallyrii
The Kallyrii are native Taveruu people who have lived on the coastlands of Taveruun from a time before the coming of the second moon. The name means Fishermen and their legendary skill at fishing has been passed down from father to son since time forgotten. The are a short and stocky people of a most resilient temperament, they rarely sicken and those who are not taken by the sea live long and fruitful lives.  

Dakyrii
High in the mountains, in a region known as the Dakyrii Reaches, dwell a people of a most ancient and malignant kindred. Their worship of a dark god or goddess has led them to believe that to take life is the greatest gift given to man, and they have taken the fulfillment of the act of murder to the level of an art-form. Many times the rulers of Kallary and the predecessor kingdoms have attempted to cleanse this blight, but the Dakyrii have proven too tenacious.

Mike Holmes

Aiiee.

I like what you have, Gary, but Brian laid claim to the West back at the beginning of the project, even before you were involved. He had to go on that six week hiatus, which is why he hadn't posted yet. I hope we can work this out.

Mike

Morfedel

Sorry jake... edited to remove inane comments.

Jake Norwood

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Ah hell, you've already done so much work you may as well keep West. Pity, I had some good ideas, but they were in a very different direction from yours. No matter, I'll save them for the next time we do a country with a coastline and adapt them for that.

What does that leave me? SouthWest is it? Damn, I need to find some time to read through everything you guys have done.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Gary_Bingham

Quote from: Mike HolmesAiiee.
I like what you have, Gary, but Brian laid claim to the West back at the beginning of the project, even before you were involved. He had to go on that six week hiatus, which is why he hadn't posted yet. I hope we can work this out.
Sorry guys, and in particular Brian. I am withdrawing the Kingdom of Kallary post and I will ask Jake to remove it from the thread.

Also any changes that you need to the Timelines and Map I will of course make ASAP.

Gary

edit: Actually it appears that Jake has left for Gen Con leaving you in charge Brian :) Could you remove the Kingdom of Kallary post above please. thanks Gary

Brian Leybourne

Gary,

Firstly, I seriously think that since you have done all that work you should stick with it. I can save my ideas and use them in other areas, really don't worry about it.

Secondly, we don't delete posts around here :-) Check out the forum rules at the top.

Honestly, I'm OK with it.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Gary_Bingham

Thanks for putting me straight on the rules Brian ( I had a reread of them and feel strangely happier .. sigh )

Seriously though I don't want to exclude anyone from getting involved in this thread least of all you Brian so if you want West take it and I will focus my attentions elsewhere in the rather large region that is Taveruun.
Gary