News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forge Midwest Official Thread

Started by Matt Snyder, February 15, 2006, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Snyder

This is the official finalized information for the Forge Midwest gathering April 7-9, 2006.

The event will run Friday April 7 through Sunday April 9.

The even is at the Radisson, Schaumburg, in Schaumburg, Illinois. The hotel is a few blocks from a large shopping mall (Woodfield Mall), and should have many restaurants in the area.

Event Registration
You are required to RSVP using the Evite! web site. It's really easy to do. We already have 30 people affirmed for the event!

To register, click here.

Room Reservations
The event coordinator, Katie Barnes, gave us a rate of double rate of $72 for the weekend. (Triples are $82, Quads are $92 -- you figure it out). I have estimated we'll need a block of six rooms. We are not required to fill those rooms. Nor are you required to stay at this hotel for the event. All that said, the rate is a good one, and a decent mark-down from the hotel's regular rate. Taxes are 14%. You probably should reserve a room at least 1 week prior to the event. Sooner is better.

Contact the hotel directly to make a reservation. You can call 847-397-1500 to reach the hotel. During office hours, you can ask for Katie Barnes. Otherwise, make certain to tell them you're with the "Forge" or "Matt Snyder" meeting event April 7-9 and that you wish to reserve a room with the group rate for the event. Depending on how many respond, we may run out of rooms for the group rate. (There are several other hotels in the area.)

Check-in time is 3 p.m. Check out time is Noon.

You may use this thread to organize room sharing, etc.

Event Costs
We will share the costs of the meeting room and refreshments. The actual payment will depend on the number of attendees.

Cost will be based on the following:

Each person: $7.95 for refreshments.
Illinois Room rental: $250

We may need to expand to another room rental for Saturday. At this point in time (Wed., February 15), we have 30 confirmed attendees. If we exceed this number much more, we will need to expand our meeting room space for Saturday. I will then also rent the Woodfield Room (if still available) for Saturday only:

Woodfield Room rental: $175

Taxes will likely be included to these costs (as much as 14%, I gather). The total bill will be added together, and divided by the number of attendees. The costs, therefore, will range from $16-$25 per person. This costs is required for each attendee. Pay Matt Snyder in cash or check at the event.

Event Activities

Friday, April 7:
People will be arriving throughout the evening. I have no planned events for the evening. Instead, I hope everyone will get settled in and meet in the hotel bar to socialize. Pick-up games are great, but you're on your own. We have no reserved space outside of our hotel rooms for play.

Saturday, April 8:
Saturday is the main event. I would like to use this thread to help build a tentative schedule as plans develop. Right now, the only thing I have scheduled is:

2 p.m. Refreshment break, including cookies, brownies, coffee, tea and soft drinks.

Sunday April 9:
We will have the Illinois room from 8 a.m. through 2 p.m.

I plan on getting some good breakfast in the hotal or nearby. Then:

10:00 a.m. - 2 p.m. open tables for play.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

ptevis

Quote from: Matt Snyder on February 15, 2006, 12:37:33 PM

I don't bite. Anyone?

--Paul
Paul Tevis
Have Games, Will Travel @ http://www.havegameswilltravel.net
A Fistful of Games @ http://afistfulofgames.blogspot.com

Valamir

For clarity, although this is probably obvious, I'm assuming that the rates quoted above are actually daily rates good for the weekend and not rates for the entire weekend? 

Even so, unless the Radisson is a complete dump, those are amazingly good prices for a hotel room.  I routinely pay $110-125 for a double with our corporate rates when I travel.

Matt Snyder

Correct, Ralph, those are what you would pay PER NIGHT at the hotel, not for the whole weekend combined. I agree; I think they are quite reasonable.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Blankshield

Quote from: ptevis on February 15, 2006, 01:30:18 PM
Quote from: Matt Snyder on February 15, 2006, 12:37:33 PM

I don't bite. Anyone?

--Paul

Me neither.  I'm on my own for this one, and am good with anywhere from double to quad; I'm not picky.  I can do the room booking, unless someone else desperately wants the airmiles on their card or whatever.

thanks,

James

I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Nev the Deranged

Question:

What about people who do not attend the entire event? If someone just comes by to game on Saturday, for instance, will they be held responsible for a full share of the cost?

Matt Snyder

Dave -- yep, they pay full cost. 'Dem's the breaks.

Basically, they're missing out on access to the room on Sunday morning.

But this cost is still within reason of (possibly less than) most regional con one-day passes. We're talking $25-26 bucks to play games with awesome people all day long. I don't think that's a bad deal.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Nev the Deranged

I'm fine with it, I just wanted to make sure it was clear. I invited quite a lot of people, some of whom have already RSVPd, and I wanted to make sure they have as detailed info as possible.

I'm really looking forward to this!

And now I shall shut up and let the planning commence ^_^

Jared A. Sorensen

Does the hotel offer special accomodations for the brain damaged?

Haha, suckers.

- J

But seriously, people should use the sign-up sheet to look for a room-partner. Just put a "Looking for a roomshare" in the comments.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Matt Snyder

Our numbers keep increasing! I have requested the additional room for $175. Yesterday it was available, and I expect it to remain available for us today.

As it stands right now, with the addtional $175 and about 36 confirmed people, everyone will have to pay $20. Obviously, as RSVPs increase, costs will go down somewhat.

Turnout amazes me, and shared costs are actually below what I expected! Fantastic.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Seth L. Blumberg

I am so there. In fact, I'm canceling my reservations for a different convention to attend this one.
the gamer formerly known as Metal Fatigue

reaction

When is the deadline for RSVPing? I have to check things out before I can confirm for sure (ie: my girlfriend still hasn't decided to let me go yet). But, if at all possible, we'll be there.

Blankshield

In the interests of making sure I have a place for my head, I've booked a non-smoking quad.  The other three spots are currently open; e-mail or PM me if you want one.

thanks,

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Luke

Hi Matt,

So where should we out of towners fly into? O'Hare, right? And how do we get to ze 'otel?

-L

Keith Senkowski

O'hare for sure you monkeys.  The cab ride is like $22 or some shit to Shaumburg.  It being Friday expect a long as ride if you are coming in during rush hour.  If your cab driver has no fucking clue on where to go, he needs to take 90 to Rockford to 53 north to Algonquin (going west).

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel